Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I never had any hunger discomfort. I just eat all the time! But it takes your digestive system a couple 2-3 weeks to settle in to a new comfort zone ....

35563062-L.gif

lol3.gif

That graphic is PRICELESS!!! Thanks for giving me a massive laugh for the day.

As for eating frequently (a.k.a. snacking), I'm getting the picture that the more important thing is the quality of what you eat, not the quantity? I'm so hung up with formulas and recipes that I feel like I need to follow an exact plan. As with most things in life, adaptability and flexibility are more important than following the rules to the letter.

If I can dunk whole grains in garlic hummus all day...I'm feeling more committed. YUMMY!
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 18, 2007
    Thanks Anne!

The whole reason I was asking was I had a "vegan" cookie the other day at Peet's and it was nothing like I imagined it would be. I wouldn't mind another.

I have a weakness for stuff like that (but you couldn't tell mwink.gif) rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I never had any hunger discomfort. I just eat all the time! But it takes your digestive system a couple 2-3 weeks to settle in to a new comfort zone ....

35563062-L.gif

lol3.gif
    Terrence wrote:
    That graphic is PRICELESS!!! Thanks for giving me a massive laugh for the day.

It's wind powered rolleyes1.gif hehehe, sorry couldn't help meself rolleyes1.gif
    .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Thanks Anne!

The whole reason I was asking was I had a "vegan" cookie the other day at Peet's and it was nothing like I imagined it would be. I wouldn't mind another.

I have a weakness for stuff like that (but you couldn't tell mwink.gif) rolleyes1.gif
    Are Oreo's not vegan? Or are they 'just' vegetarian? They taste good, but can't be good for you, I'm sure.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 19, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Are Oreo's not vegan? Or are they 'just' vegetarian? They taste good, but can't be good for you, I'm sure.
    I don't think so. Wait...yes. Vegan.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    ivar wrote:

No, according to the Vegetarian and Vegan Society of Queensland

Name Oreos
    Vegetarian Yes
    Vegan No
    Category Biscuits
    Manufacturer Kraft Foods
    Regular Oreos Ingredients:
    Sugar, flour, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, whey, corn starch, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate

Mini Oreos Ingredients:
    Flour, sugar, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, lactose, high fructose corn syrup, corn flour, whey, corn starch, salt, baking soda, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Oreos! Yum! Too bad they are a primary cause of my fat belly! Imagine if healthy versions of these tasty treats tasted the same as their unhealthy counterparts. Man...would that make a few trillion for someone. The addictive snackability of Oreos without all the white flour, sugar and oil. I'd pay double for that.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I don't think so. Wait...yes. Vegan.

Great link
    (even if Double Stuff Oreos aren't on there lol3.gif )
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    ?? for the recipe thread??
    174761136-M.jpg

John's easy lunch Chopped Salad

It may not look too appitizing but my tastebuds were happy. I got the idea from a chopped salad I had at a great place in Las Vegas called T-Bones (but that salad had evil blue cheese & bacon!).

Here's the plan
    • Fill your food processor bowl with a lettuce mixture (mine was a "weedy" sping mix).
    • Add about two tablespoons of hummus (mine was a roasted garlic hummus).
    • Add about 1/4 cup of chopped red bell pepper.
    • Add about one tablespoon on balsamic vinegar.
    • Add a couple "dashes" of a hot pepper sauce (mine was unique version purchased in Bermuda - Outerbridge's Sherry Pepper Sauce - Tabasco sauce should taste similar).
    • Tap the "pulse" button on your food processor a few times.
    • That's it, scoop out and eat, get healthy, trim-up, etc, etc:ivar
    Future plans: try adding any combination of green onions, zucchini, celery, mushrooms, sunflower seeds, etc
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 19, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Not to split hairs, but Gatorade is owned by Pepsico
    Oh, no... You're right, and this is disturbing:

PepsiCo Strengthens Marketing Practices to Children

PURCHASE, N.Y., July 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- PepsiCo announced today an initiative that further strengthens its commitment to meeting consumers' health and nutrition needs by redefining how the company markets its products to children.

By the beginning of the year, PepsiCo commits that 100 percent of the company's advertising directed to children under 12 will be devoted to only two of its more than 250 Smart Spot products - products that meet established nutrition criteria based on authoritative statements from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration...

...PepsiCo advertising directed to children under 12 will be devoted to two Smart Spot products, Baked Cheetos, which has 50% less fat than the original brand, and Gatorade, which qualifies as a Smart Spot beverage because it is formulated for more complete rehydration in circumstances where water may be insufficient...

Colored salted sugar water is marketed to our children as good for them. :yikes
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Hi Baldy

I am amazed at the number of people willing to drink gatorade as a beverage.

But there is one circumstance where it has a use for children - during endurance athletics such as tournaments, where it can be too difficult to hydrate. The advice we are given is do whatever is necessary to keep them drinking, and if that means flavoring the fluid, well so be it.

Having witnessed a couple of kids pass out from heat exhaustion/lack of electrolytes, whatever, I turn to gatorade in those circumstances.

But marketing it as a beverage - no, don't go there.

ann

Baldy wrote:
    Gatorade, which qualifies as a Smart Spot beverage because it is formulated for more complete rehydration in circumstances where water may be insufficient...

Colored salted sugar water is marketed to our children as good for them. :yikes
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007

Thanks!

"It's in there!"

(old prego ads)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Gatorade is actually rare here (the Netherlands). When you do find it is usually marketed as a sportsdrink. In FL I used to see it in the 'regular drinks' section.

I've always wondered if the Florida Gators still actually drink it....
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    174761136-M.jpg

Yum! Thanks for posting this. I think this is lunch tomorrow. clap.gif

-Anne
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Kids and Vegetarian Diets
    While reading this thread and listening to NPR, I heard this piece on "Kids and Vegetarian Diets". Its an interview with Dr. Sydney Spiesel a pediatrician and Yale Medical School professor who writes for Slate.

Interesting stuff.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    edited July 19, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Baldy

But there is one circumstance where it has a use for children - during endurance athletics such as tournaments, where it can be too difficult to hydrate. The advice we are given is do whatever is necessary to keep them drinking, and if that means flavoring the fluid, well so be it.
    Agreed. I love to do triathlons and Gatorade is indispensible at the aid stations. Even I go down on it by the gallon during races if water is the only alternative.

I just think 99% of it is consumed as a beverage when we're not sweating, and we're getting overdosed on salt anyway (from Cheetos). In that case I think it's a path to obesity and type II diabetes.
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    After reading all the posts in this thread, hubby had his pasta and sauce rolleyes1.gif and I had a wonderful whole wheat pocket pita with lean jalapeno chicken breast and veggies, with a couple squirts of raspberry vinagerette! This will be a staple for me, and hubby actually kept looking at my meal:D He will be doing the "change" as well.

Our DIL is a vegan, and she and the kids are the healthiest creatures! Her son Ash is going on 5, and he has never thrown up.ever! He so rarely gets a cold, and eats like a bear, but its all healthy, she has made me so much more aware of what is in my fridge.

Hubby has a sweet tooth.....I have finally got him on angel food cake and yogurt with field berries.lol..it beats the ice cream and whipped cream he would pick up:puke1
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Was just going through the closet again. This is from 11 years ago, and I just tried that blue blazer on again, and it fits perfectly wings.gif

326912-L-1.jpg

(the cane was because of a bad back, I had back surgery about 6 months later).
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Wow.Congrtaz Andy!bowdown.gif

Has your avy always moved! Lol....I thought it was my eyes........eek7.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Wow! That's fantastic Andy and in such a relatively short time span!!! Congratulations! clap.gif I need to get inspired....so far I know my biggest problem is 'reacting' to outside stresses in my life. Like the flood in my condo and the stupid contractor I'm dealing with!!!! Just makes it hard to focus on what I should be doing healthwise. rolleyes1.gif

I have increased my veggies alot this year....sweets are a problem. Meat I don't eat as much as I use to, it just doesn't have the same appeal. However, I do crave protein of some type. Last night I was walking by a neighbor's balcony and they were barbecuing teriyaki flavored steak!!!!!!!!! Dang! I almost rang their doorbell and invited myself over. rolleyes1.gif

There have been a lot of negative news articles, etc., the past few years on soy, that it's not cracked up to be what the government led us to believe, that it causes thyroid and weight problems, etc. Anyone have any current information on it???? There is so much info (and mis-info) on the internet it's overwhelming.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Was just going through the closet again. This is from 11 years ago, and I just tried that blue blazer on again, and it fits perfectly wings.gif

326912-L-1.jpg

Wheres your pipe & slippers ?
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:

326912-L-1.jpg

Congrats. I know the feeling. I've had to replace the belt, but soon the pants. They are bunching up just a tad. But I want to go down one more size (obsessive compulsive that I am) before I go shopping. I may have to get some soon and then more later (I hope). Small price to pay, given the long term benefits.

Sooooo, how long until you update your avatar with the renewed you?? ne_nau.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    That's got to feel good Andy. About the back... is that Nurse Nancy helping you heal? mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited July 20, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    That's got to feel good Andy. About the back... is that Nurse Nancy helping you heal? mwink.gif
    She was there years ago when I needed nursing lol3.gif now though, she's looking after three other olde dudes:

174197697-S-1.jpg174197590-S.jpg
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    You know Andy, that old dude with the sweat band has a bad back... If you see her heading off to a concert wearing the nurse outfit, I'd be a bit worried. Shall I check for you Sun. night? I'll try my best to keep her away from any medical uniform/scrubs shops in town. :giggle:giggle

Back to the subject at hand -
    What about the amino acid issue with a vegan diet?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited July 21, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    There have been a lot of negative news articles, etc., the past few years on soy
    I follow this closely and would love to hear what others know that I don't. Here's what I think I know:

1. It appears that partial soy (isolated soy protein, soy oil) are unhealthy for the same reasons partial corn (corn syrup, corn oil) and partial wheat (white flour, gluten) are.

2. Soy is in the cross-hairs of the beef and dairy councils and the language they use is always that soy is unhealthy, not that refined foods are unhealthy as people say when they refer to corn and wheat. You don't hear them say beef is unhealthy even though they don't attempt to defend partial beef (lard).

3. Overwhelming amounts of authoritative data show that populations with the highest soy consumption have many times lower incidences of prostate and breast cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, etc. (I have references if you want them.)

4. But some of those cultures have high incidences of esophagal & stomach cancer, which raises the question of whether soy is really protective. Those nations (like Japan) have high incidences of smoking, salt intake (partly through soy sauce, which is very salty), dried salty fish, pickled foods, etc., which are associated with those cancers.

All the evidence points to whole soy being just another extremely healthy plant food, but like any food, you can make it unheathy.
    edited July 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I eat all day long and I'm never hungry.

[imgl] http://nancyrose.smugmug.com/photos/175462596-400x400.jpg[/imgl]To wit: my raspberry bushes are teeming with red juicy goodness. I sat out there this afternoon like a wild animal and ate and ate and ate. Then, I ate some more.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    [imgl] I sat out there this afternoon like a wild animal and ate and ate and ate. Then, I ate some more.
    All i can think about now is that age old question about a bear in the woods lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

All the evidence points to whole soy being just another extremely healthy plant food, but like any food, you can make it unheathy.

thumb.gif I think that is the key point - and I'm so glad you expressed it so clearly, because my hope is that word will get out more!

There is a world of difference between whole soy in its natural or mostly natural state ... and then soy that is (over)processed to near unrecognition. Rarely does the media (and by default, some of the medical profession) differentiate ... whether singing the pros of or outing the cons of soy consumption.

My family is East Asian and it's been insightful to see firsthand what a difference cultural diet has on one's size and overall health. Those who stuck with a more traditional diet look and seem to feel way differently than do those who adopted a primarily Western diet. It's also curious to see the differences in longetivity and aged mental health conditions in my family as compared to my husband's (white, european) family ... even when taking into account the long histories of smoking and drinking found in my family but not in his.

ne_nau.gif

Baldy you seem well studied on this subject - it's awesome to have you as a resource. Thanks for sharing your research with us. And to the others, too, who have given many food for thought!
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    thumb.gif

Looking for new and different things to eat to become 'healthy' is BS.

Just slash your sugar intake, slash your fat intake, and exercise. No exceptions, no excuses. That's it. mwink.gif