Slide scanner

KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited February 12, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Hi
I have several thousand slides from the 60's and 70's packed away in boxs, trays etc. I would like to scan and transfer them to digital before either I or the slides fade away. Would appreacate hearing from people giving their pro's and con's on the model that their familiar with.
Cheers, Ed

Comments

• PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    I have first-hand experience with the Nikon Super CoolScan 5000, Minolta DualScan IV and Epson 1240u scanners. But I need a little more info before I can help ya.

How much are you willing to spend?

What type of slides are they? Any Kodachromes?

What will you be using the slides for? Prints? If so, how big?
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    I have first-hand experience with the Nikon Super CoolScan 5000, Minolta DualScan IV and Epson 1240u scanners. But I need a little more info before I can help ya.

How much are you willing to spend?

What type of slides are they? Any Kodachromes?

What will you be using the slides for? Prints? If so, how big?

Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in Western Australia, the Minolta Dimage iv is around $800AU my limit would be about $1000.
    The slides are Ektachromes, surfing north shore of Oahu and family shots, no printing email only.
    Cheers
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Ok, if it's basically for email and web use, then you will do fine with a flatbed scanner such as the Canoscan 9950f or the Epson 4870. You might even be able to pull off a Canoscan 9900f or Epson 3200 since the overall quality of scan didn't change much. The only thing that did change was the addition of ICE to Epson 4870, and FARE to Canon 9950f (it's software that cleans up scratches and dust for ya saving hours in Photoshop). If you really want to keep it cheap, then go towards the Epson 2450. It was the best until the 3200 came along and bumped it off it's pedestal.

Now, in order for these to be effective, you need to do apply a strong Unsharp Mask in Photoshop post-scan because the initial scans are a tad soft. Not a big deal really. You will be able to print 8x10 photos with the scans the 9950f and 4870 produce. I'm not sure about the others but it should be feasible.

All the scanners I recommended are capable of scanning all kinds of 35mm negatives, slides and even medium format film thumb.gif. All use USB 2.0 also.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    I have the HP Photosmart scanner, it does up to 2400dpi. They were $600 whe I got my first one (SCSI) but now are a mere $99 or less for USB2.0.
  • DBotDBot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Film Scanner
    Kalamata wrote:
    Hi
    I have several thousand slides from the 60's and 70's packed away in boxs, trays etc. I would like to scan and transfer them to digital before either I or the slides fade away. Would appreacate hearing from people giving their pro's and con's on the model that their familiar with.
    Cheers, Ed
    I own a Minolta Scan Dual III. In fact, I recently completed a project
    of scanning hundreds of old slides dating back to the early sixties. The quality
    is very good, but it depends on the original.
    also, the time it takes is a factor. I am pleased with my Scan Dual III.
  • KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I have the HP Photosmart scanner, it does up to 2400dpi. They were $600 whe I got my first one (SCSI) but now are a mere $99 or less for USB2.0.

Hi
    Are you referring to the hp 4070? there still about $au300.00 here in Oz
    ed
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Kalamata wrote:
    Hi
    Are you referring to the hp 4070? there still about $au300.00 here in Oz
    ed
    Nope, this is the PhotoSmart Scanner that does slides, negs and prints.

C5101A-PhotoSmartS20-sm.jpg
  • DBotDBot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Here's a pic from my scan dual III...
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    DBot wrote:

That takes me to a password protected image.

I'm looking for a scanner myself. One that will handle 35mm neg/slides along w/ 120 format too.

I was told the Epson 3170 was great, and may go with that.

Dave
  • philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    DBot wrote:
    Here's a pic from my scan dual III...
    I have one as well - the Scan Dual is a great scanner, it also forced me to go to a USB 2.0 machine after I bought it.
  • ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I have been using a flat bed cannon canoscan 9900f. I can't complain.

7222087-L.jpg
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    EPSON Perfection 4990 PHOTO and EPSON Perfection 4990 PRO
    Looking at whats (nearly)available(March) I'm guided towards this:-

"The EPSON Perfection(TM) 4990 PHOTO and EPSON Perfection 4990 PRO scanners both have a versatile built-in 8" x 10" transparency unit (TPU) with a moving carriage and lamp optimized for film scans for quality rarely seen in a consumer-level scanner. The TPU is almost 50% larger than the predecessor models. It includes film holders that support eight 35mm mounted slides, four 35mm film strips up to 24 frames, three to six medium format frames or two 4" x 5" frames. It also has an 8" x 10" guide for transparencies and proof sheets without film holders, allowing for a larger volume of negative scanning."

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050112/125445_1.html

If I was looking to replace my old Nikon LS-1000 I'd go for the Epson.

Bod...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières