Options

hungry to learn

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 12, 2005 in Technique
just to share a thought here...

I often find myself out trying to snap photos with my D70 set on AUTO with my sigma 28-200...

I feel like I get lazy trying to decide which of my lenses to use, dealing with the important stuff like EXIF... so I resort to bad habits.

Anyone else find this to be common at any point in their lives?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    The answer is to cut your reliance on auto mode. When you have real stuff to worry about (exposure, WB, ISO, etc) you won't have time to get lazy or worry about stuff that doesn't much matter.

Or

Start shooting something that matters. When one is under the gun to produce something with good results, the mind can kick in and do some amazing things. This may be enough to give one a new perspective on things. So shoot a portrait for someone, or some product photography, or real estate, or car...anything where the results will be handed off to someone else for *their* approval, not yours.

Their is no room for lazy in such situations and it is a quick way to disabuse oneself of it :-)

Angelo wrote:

I often find myself out trying to snap photos with my D70 set on AUTO with my sigma 28-200...

I feel like I get lazy trying to decide which of my lenses to use, dealing with the important stuff like EXIF... so I resort to bad habits.

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    When I'm lazy I shoot in aperature priority. Otherwise, it's in manual.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 12, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

Angelo, I find that Av is the mode I used 90+% of the time, unless there is a very specific reason for another choice. I use Program for some flash shots since it controls near subject exposure to flash unlike Av which is better for fill flash.

If I shot sports, like some of the members here, I would also include Tv. I almost never use Auto, because on a Canon 300D, 10D, or 20D the camera then gets to decide the ISO, and the AF mode and the AF point. None of these do I want to give up control of, not sure how true this is in "Nikonia, but I suspect it is generally the same. And on a 1DMkll there is no Auto at all...Program, Manual, Av,Tv Bulb
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin