Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    thumb.gif

Looking for new and different things to eat to become 'healthy' is BS.

Just slash your sugar intake, slash your fat intake, and exercise. No exceptions, no excuses. That's it. mwink.gif
    Personally i agree...fad dieting makes publishers wallets fat. The faster it comes off...the faster it goes back on. Slow long term life changes (WITH exercise) is what will do the job properly.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Personally i agree...fad dieting makes publishers wallets fat. The faster it comes off...the faster it goes back on. Slow long term life changes (WITH exercise) is what will do the job properly.
    Spoken by a man who looks pretty ripped to me. :davidto

Btw, I first got schooled in this diet when I was 13 and caddied many times for Jack LaLanne. It was traditional to ask your caddy what snack they wanted at the 11th hole where they sold food, and I always told the golfers I wanted Snickers, or maybe Baby Ruth or Butterfinger bars.

Jack didn't ask and always brought me peanuts or raisins.

He's the guy on top in this pick who looks like Gus but with hair:

jackbup.gif

He was a little past his Mr. Universe-winning prime for this shot, I think:

jackpose.gif

His diet is whole plants and some fish, maybe a little egg white. The thing is he's 93ish and looks, feels and acts great. He's as busy as ever.

fingertip2.jpg

So I know of 93-year-old men but none come to mind with his level of health and vitality. Seems to me that ought to give some street cred to his diet and exercise routine.
    edited July 22, 2007
    But you are a keen exerciser though.

What im trying to say is that so many people forget exercise as part of their diet. We were not designed to be sedentary. Im not talking about inverted bench presses of 260 lb either...im talking about getting the heart rate up & holding it there for an extended time simply by walking an hour a day.
  • Jack90210Jack90210 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2007
    Fantastic thread, very inspirational!

I own a couple of restaurants and have been trying to eat vegan "at work" (I'm there 6-7 days a week) for the past couple of weeks, as a natural progression of a general shift in my diet away from meat/cheese and processed foods. I've recently discovered tofu sandwiches after having served them for fifteen years. It took me about three days to acclimate; now I don't want anything else to eat when I'm in the stores. clap.gif

Funny ... I stayed at my Dad's on Friday and Saturday nights, and slept on the couch. Usually this triggers some very bad cat allergies, and I wake up wheezing. It should have been even worse this weekend, because they weren't expecting me, and as such they didn't "clean up" ... I woke up covered with cat hair. No problems.

I'm all ear.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    My MIL says of my new eating habits - "You aren't getting enough protein. Your body needs lots of protein, you know".

Comments?

(I avoided the argument with her, BTW):D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    My MIL says of my new eating habits - "You aren't getting enough protein. Your body needs lots of protein, you know".

Comments?

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/protein.htm

http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/protein.php
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Jack90210 wrote:
    I've recently discovered tofu sandwiches after having served them for fifteen years.

Oh! We used to serve tempeh sandwiches at my restaurant ~ if you have access to some tempeh, it's a great segue because it (with some imagination lol) it can be the same general texture as meat. Several of our customers who would never dream of trying tofu were more than willing to adventure a tempeh sandwich thumb.gif

I'm glad the change is going well for you, and so quickly into it!
    edited July 22, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Comments?

I didn't read (yet) any of the links Andy so graciously provided, but I recognize some of the domain names so I know they'll be great :D

I just wanted to say that I ran into this discussion often (still do!) with my inlaws, regarding the diet of my children. My MIL's mind is made up, there is NO convincing her that we require less protein than we are commonly perceived to require. The best I can do is tell her that I'm on top of it and am supplementing with "an appropriate level of protein intake". Then I offer to cook some meat alternatives for her (using scary words like TOFU), and she quickly changes the subject mwink.gif

I don't typically visit doctors for well visits (but am fortunate to have access in the family) but to put her mind at some ease, I did keep a food journal for a few weeks and run it by a nutritionist (note: NOT a doctor or dietician) who was more than happy if somewhat perplexed by my request for a note that the kids were getting adequate nutrition. I know you're grown thumb.gif but moms don't ever stop being moms, do they Laughing.gif.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Looking for new and different things to eat to become 'healthy' is BS.

Just slash your sugar intake, slash your fat intake, and exercise. No exceptions, no excuses. That's it.

Would you give some examples of why it is BS? I don't follow. From what I am reading here and elsewhere, it sounds like a shift from mostly-animal to mostly-plant (ideally all-plant) brings health along for the ride. That would certainly require eating new and different foods for the typical American like me.

I agree exercise is a necessary component for a well-rounded total health regimen.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 22, 2007
    There's a certain amount of truth in what W.W. W says.

For example, I looked at the nutrition label on a tea drink. At first, you think "110 calories for this?". And then you look at the servings per container info and you realized there are two and a half servings in the container or 275 calories in a bottle. And for the same 16 oz of grapefruit juice, "ruby", 240.

When you start to realize what you're eating, it's easy to see why America has a weight problem. Not to mention the lack of exercise.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 22, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    There's a certain amount of truth in what W.W. W says.

For example, I looked at the nutrition label on a tea drink. At first, you think "110 calories for this?". And then you look at the servings per container info and you realized there are two and a half servings in the container or 275 calories in a bottle. And for the same 16 oz of grapefruit juice, "ruby", 240.

When you start to realize what you're eating, it's easy to see why America has a weight problem. Not to mention the lack of exercise.

I actually do listen to american radio at night (helps me get to sleep) sorry..no i actally listen to your political shows but the other night they had segment where a nutritionalist was speaking & i have no idea about her credibility but she said a lot of americas weight problem is that americans dont drink enough water any more. She said the 'thrist' msg the brain sends out is now conditioned to make people eat & this has become salty/sugary foods which make people drink more soft drinks (soda you call it i think). ne_nau.gif No idea if its correct information.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Not sure which book, but in either The China Study or Eat To Live the author posits that since the American diet is heavily salted many diet programs and health guidelines reccomend we drink anywhere from 8 to 12 8 oz. glasses of water per day. The author goes on to say that this is similar to taking pills to cure symptoms rather than the disease.

The author states that a vegetarian/vegan/almost-vegetarian diet has a much lower (I beleive 4 8 oz. glasses per day) water reccomendation because that diet is so much lower in salt by design.

So, I think it's a matter of causality, where since our diet is very salty we need to drink more water (but most people make the worse choice of sugary drinks). A low (at least lower) salt diet requires less water to maintain.

In the end it's a matter of discipline once again. Reaching for a Coke versus water is what helps maintain the negative feedback loop.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited July 23, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    You aren't getting enough protein.
    It's true that sugar and fat have no protein and most people get a lot of their calories from them.

It's why beef has lower protein/calorie than vegetables like leafy greens and broccoli, because so many of the calories in beef come from fat.
    Your body needs lots of protein, you know.
    Are we sure? We've certainly seen a lot of low-protein athletes win big like Lance Armstrong, who believes high protein diets make you sluggish. His coach, Chris Carmichael, wrote a sports nutrition book about that. And we see lots of great vegan athletes, like Carl Lewis.

Isn't the RDA for protein around 10% of calories? Hard not to get more than that unless we're getting a lot of calories from sugar, fat or fruits, which are low in protein.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    On the protein deal, I guess I'm just lucky that some of the main sources (see Andy's list) are foods I love - brown rice, nuts/peanut butter, and black beans.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I actually do listen to american radio at night (helps me get to sleep) sorry..no i actally listen to your political shows but the other night they had segment where a nutritionalist was speaking & i have no idea about her credibility but she said a lot of americas weight problem is that americans dont drink enough water any more. She said the 'thrist' msg the brain sends out is now conditioned to make people eat & this has become salty/sugary foods which make people drink more soft drinks (soda you call it i think). ne_nau.gif No idea if its correct information.
    I posted this a little bit ago.

The second half addresses the issue of water consumption. It seems to me that a water bottle has become the new "must have" accessory in the US, with lots of folks gulping down so much water I wonder how they get any sleep at night. I've often wondered if it was founded in good science. It would appear that it's not. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 24, 2007
    Maybe 10 years ago, before I knew much about food besides what we read in the press, I went to the emergency room for no apparent reason and was there for 6 hours with doctors screaming stuff like, "His vital signs are dropping!" I spent 3 days in intensive care after. When I left the hospital I couldn't walk in a straight line.

It was surreal because I was eating what I thought was a healthy diet, exercising 4 hours a week, and there was nothing obvious wrong with me. I could hear the commotion in the emergency room but I couldn't see and didn't have the energy to respond to anything they said, so they assumed I was out of it.

It turns out that I'd read that you shouldn't eat salty foods and you should drink lots of water. It was everywhere in the press. I didn't question it and I guess I got pretty sweaty exercising so I lost electrolytes.

A week after I got out of the hospital, a fitness instructor, a 32-year old woman who looked like the healthiest person on earth, fainted at the YMCA. Luckily for her, the emergency room is just across the street and they got her there fast. She died anyway, of hyponatremia.

I started reading a lot more about food after that.
    edited July 24, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I posted this a little bit ago.

The second half addresses the issue of water consumption. It seems to me that a water bottle has become the new "must have" accessory in the US, with lots of folks gulping down so much water I wonder how they get any sleep at night. I've often wondered if it was founded in good science. It would appear that it's not. ne_nau.gif
    There will always be an exception. I think if you asked the medical opinion worldwide as to which is more dangerous for the public...drinking too much water or obesity. I bet i know the answer. I dont believe there is a sound rational argument for the dangers of water myself period. I do an apheresis donation every fortnight & i start to load up with water the day prior & carry it over & start again at 5 am the next day. When im hooked into the machine the nurses can tell my hydration level from my blood. Not enough water & its too thick for the trimmer.

I drink 8 lt/day at work (thats over 2 US gall) in summer , if i dont i will wake the next day with a type of hangover from dehydration. The colour of your urine determines your state of hydration...if it isnt pale yellow then you are dehydrated.
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    wow andy...good for you, id love to hear more! clap.gif
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited July 24, 2007
    We need to add smoothie recipes to the recipe gallery. What are your favorites?
    edited July 24, 2007
    Interesting U.S. map showing the growing obesity problem here.
    edited July 24, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

That was interesting - thanks for sharing it.

A real testament to old fashioned Southern cookin' mwink.gif

Re: the water issue. I once met Rue MacLanahan (sp?) from Golden Girls. She was very big into water. She gave me a copy of a book called Your Body's Many Cries For Water (that I accidentally left in a hotel in NYC before reading, bummer) and said that many of today's ills could be remedied in part with regular and steady water consumption. ne_nau.gif dunno, never found the book cheap enough that I was willing to buy it myself lol.

Now I'm curious what it says. I don't think there is a set amount of liquids that the general populace should consume - it will vary with individual activity, diet, and environment. I also think people forget how much water is also contained in foods, and neglect to account for that.
    edited July 24, 2007
    The water thread...hmmm...ever had a kidney stone? Not a good thing.

From what the doc said, I need to be sure to keep the fluid level up. But he
    was also very clear about the qty. Making sure not to consume too much.
    This was a few years ago. I probably still don't drink enough :D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I had a kidney stone when I was in college. Unusual at such a young age.

It

Was

Horrible.

But the demerol shots were awesome! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 24, 2007
    During first couple days with a kidney stone, you are afraid you're going to die from the pain. A few more days, and you become afraid you're NOT going to die from the pain.:D

You have my sympathy Dave.

Kidney stones are right up there on the top of the list of things not to enjoy.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Just so you know, I've been personnel driving up the rate in Michigan. Reading Eat To Live now and hopefully will be one less statistic in Michigan soon.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    zacker wrote:
    wow andy...good for you, id love to hear more! clap.gif
    ne_nau.gif not much more to say. I'm not one to over-analyze stuff. If I have a question, I research it I guess... mostly I look for new healthy foods to try :D

I eat plants. I take a multi-vitamin. I do drink plenty of water each day, but not excessively.

Not much else to say :) It's becoming routine for me, don't really miss anything anymore. Losing about 4-5 pounds a month now I guess?
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Kidney stones are right up there on the top of the list of things not to enjoy.

:moon Well, this is the closest I could get to finding a proctologist smiley!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    :moon Well, this is the closest I could get to finding a proctologist smiley!
    I'm not a medical practitioner, but I'd be surprised if that's the conventional 'passage' to the renal organs.
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    We need to add smoothie recipes to the recipe gallery. What are your favorites?

A recipe? headscratch.gif

I just throw in whatever fresh fruits I have on hand, some spinach or romaine, and enough frozen berries to make it nice and thick and cold. A little unsweetened soymilk if it gets TOO thick.

But, then, I have a Vitamix, so I get to throw stuff in whole and it ends up smooth and delicious. :D

You don't want to know what my dad puts in his smoothies though. Ooooh boy, that will wake you up in the morning!

My dessert tonight: a peach (peel on), some fresh strawberries (tops on), a banana, frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and some unsweetened soymilk. Blend and enjoy. Oh, and share with friends who were over. My stomach can't fit that much goodness in one sitting!
    edited July 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    During first couple days with a kidney stone, you are afraid you're going to die from the pain. A few more days, and you become afraid you're NOT going to die from the pain.:D
    I will tell this story because I can laugh about it now...

I had just gotten out of the shower and getting ready to enjoy a nice Saturday when I noticed pain in the lower right quad. I called the doc's, described the pain. They said "can you come in at noon?". It wasn't that bad so I said yes.

About 15 minutes later, I was lying on the floor. Much as you might imagine. When I got to the ER, I told them I had an appt with the GP and they said "you should keep it because this is going to cost you.". By now, I am sweating profusely and can barely stand up. I forked over the MasterCard and they could have taken the balance and I would have gladly paid to make the pain go away. Mommy!

Then there were the X-rays after the fact. I'll leave that story for another day.