Options

Lens Hood questions

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited July 29, 2007 in Accessories
I lost a lens hood somehow (somewhere) and while I have no idea how I could have done this it has prompted this question: "Do you put any sort of identifying mark or label on your lens hood(s)?"

I have to think that someone found my hood but did not know who it belonged to.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I have one of those P-Touch electronic labelers and use the black labels with gold text. It looks professional on all my lenses, bodies, and accessories. You can have your label bordered, without border, one line, several lines, several sizes, etc. Works great, sticks forever it seems, and with an address or phone number or email address may get it back if found by an honest person.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    I have one of those P-Touch electronic labelers and use the black labels with gold text. It looks professional on all my lenses, bodies, and accessories. You can have your label bordered, without border, one line, several lines, several sizes, etc. Works great, sticks forever it seems, and with an address or phone number or email address may get it back if found by an honest person.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I never thought about labeling my hoods actually, as they are always on my lenses. Food for thought though.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif - interesting thought. I've not yet considered labeling my equipment.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I never thought about labeling my hoods actually, as they are always on my lenses. Food for thought though.

Yes this is sort of unusual I suppose. My lenses won't fit in my primary bag if reverse them so I take the hoods off and put them in a LowePro pouch attached to the bag. (I hated to buy another bag.) Apparently I set this one somewhere else other than in the pouch.

A black label might not be too bad an idea though. I'll have to check into that.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    A black label might not be too bad an idea though. I'll have to check into that.

Here is a link to some of the colors and color combinations available for the P-Touch; only the first few combos are actually fully illustrated, but all 63 are listed. The black and gold is classy and what I use the most:http://www.advizia.com/brother/modelDetail.asp?PkgID=383859&User=ptouch&Rnd=92 Then choose the "Tape and Accessories" tab and "Click Here" to see the listing.

I chose a P-Touch (a Brother product) because of its reasonable pricing (I got mine for under $50) and the fact that the labels were laminated and in my personal experience remain attached and visible even in harsh environments. They state "Almost all of the P-touch products print on laminated labels that are resistant to water, spills, heat, cold and other harsh environments. "
    — Henry —
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    Here is a link to some of the colors and color combinations available for the P-Touch; only the first few combos are actually fully illustrated, but all 63 are listed. The black and gold is classy and what I use the most:http://www.advizia.com/brother/modelDetail.asp?PkgID=383859&User=ptouch&Rnd=92 Then choose the "Tape and Accessories" tab and "Click Here" to see the listing.

I chose a P-Touch (a Brother product) because of its reasonable pricing (I got mine for under $50) and the fact that the labels were laminated and in my personal experience remain attached and visible even in harsh environments. They state "Almost all of the P-touch products print on laminated labels that are resistant to water, spills, heat, cold and other harsh environments. "

Thanks! I had done a Google and found that link. I decided on the PT-1280 model and have orderd it and the black/gold tape from Buy.com! So in a couple of days I'll get my hoods and my monopod labeled!

Plus I need to get in the habit of putting the hoods in the pouch immediately! (Then this won't happen, hopefully!)
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    I have not used the 1280, so do not know if it prints as small as mine. I can generally make the black/gold label look just like the manufacturer's one already stuck on a camera, computer, whatever, when trimmed, with 2-3 lines of text (name, address, email, phone, etc.). Or even roughly color match labels for non-black items.

My 'pods, ballheads, camera bodies, lenses, flashes, etc. all get the treatment and I dare anyone who is not looking for nomenclature to casually see it as it looks like it belongs. If I want them to see it, international orange or yellow tape is outstanding!

Also, I find their tapes stick very well to the fabric of my camera bags (although the iron-on works best on fabrics) and surprisingly they even stick well to the polypropylene plastic of my Pelican cases!

Labeling devices have come a long, long way from the old Dymo raised type label guns! I think you will find many uses for the 1280!
    — Henry —
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    I have not used the 1280, so do not know if it prints as small as mine. I can generally make the black/gold label look just like the manufacturer's one already stuck on a camera, computer, whatever, when trimmed, with 2-3 lines of text (name, address, email, phone, etc.). Or even roughly color match labels for non-black items.

My 'pods, ballheads, camera bodies, lenses, flashes, etc. all get the treatment and I dare anyone who is not looking for nomenclature to casually see it as it looks like it belongs. If I want them to see it, international orange or yellow tape is outstanding!

Also, I find their tapes stick very well to the fabric of my camera bags (although the iron-on works best on fabrics) and surprisingly they even stick well to the polypropylene plastic of my Pelican cases!

Labeling devices have come a long, long way from the old Dymo raised type label guns! I think you will find many uses for the 1280!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2007
    resolved, for now!
    Well I settled on putting a black label on my hoods (and a few other items).

Using a Brother P-Touch label maker:

178105717-M.jpg

These labels are laminated and waterproof. Time will tell how they hold up.

Here is what one looks like on the hood, the new one:

178105694-M.jpg

ero3.gif