Options

Asheville Aces Hockey, 2/11/2005

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 13, 2005 in Sports
Custom WB is still throwing the ice off, but the shirts are white :) Shot these in manual mode, between 1/250-1/500, f/4 ISO 800.

Comments, concerns, helpful tips are welcome as always.

15728849-M.jpg

15728891-M.jpg

15728937-M.jpg

15729037-M.jpg

15729551-M.jpg

15729870-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Well,
    they look pretty darn good to me! I've never shot hockey, but I think you've captured it very well here.

I don't mind the WB *at all*-I'd rather see the white jerseys jumping off the screen. Your post processing looks fantastic to me-bold, and very 'live' feeling to it. I haven't gotten to that point yet with my own pp.

I really like these shots JD, I think you did a good job.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    they look pretty darn good to me! I've never shot hockey, but I think you've captured it very well here.

I don't mind the WB *at all*-I'd rather see the white jerseys jumping off the screen. Your post processing looks fantastic to me-bold, and very 'live' feeling to it. I haven't gotten to that point yet with my own pp.

I really like these shots JD, I think you did a good job.
    Thanks, I'm going to order a grey card and start using it as my custom WB. The shots came out better then I thought. I'm also trying to get tighter crops.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Thanks, I'm going to order a grey card and start using it as my custom WB. The shots came out better then I thought. I'm also trying to get tighter crops.
    There is a better solution. Learn to use LAB curves in post. Don't worry to much about the WB when you shoot. Afterwards, it's very easy to neutralize any part(s) of the picture. You can have both the ice and the shirts neutral if you like. In LAB, neutrality is totally independent of lumonisity. If the point is A=0 and B=0, it's neutral.

If this isn't enough info to get started let me know.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    There is a better solution. Learn to use LAB curves in post. Don't worry to much about the WB when you shoot. Afterwards, it's very easy to neutralize any part(s) of the picture. You can have both the ice and the shirts neutral if you like. In LAB, neutrality is totally independent of lumonisity. If the point is A=0 and B=0, it's neutral.

If this isn't enough info to get started let me know.
    If you could explain some more, you lost me with LAB :)
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    If you could explain some more, you lost me with LAB :)
    I've written a couple of longish posts on the topic. Try starting here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2042

and here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6366

My source for this info is Dan Margulis. If you want to find out more, try reading his article, "The Magic of LAB".
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 13, 2005
    The action is good but even though the jerseys are white, the color seems
    off.

You have a couple of options. An Expodisc, grey card or the coffee filter method.

What I like about the expodisc is that it allows you to balance off the scene
    as a whole. I've never tried the coffee filter but in a pinch, I suppose it would
    work too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    Thanks, I shot the game saturday, I've posted pictures here. I didn't couple things different and it really seemed to help.