Options

I think I like my new 85

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited July 28, 2007 in People
I went for the 85 mm 1.8, thinking I'd get the 35 mm closer to winter.

Here's a 100% crop. Pretty darned sharp for 100%, if you ask me! I was at least 3 feet away from this flower.

177618230-S.jpg

Edited to add that I KNOW it's not a person LOL but I wanted to share my first 85 mm shot here since this is where I discussed getting it! (This is the lens I chose for my group/family portraits...we'll see how it works!)

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Good example!! It isn'e a people, but you are a people person so we understand. I bought the same lens about 3 or 4 weeks ago and got it just in time for some bridal portraits. I am still learning how and when to use it. My estimate is that it will be THE lens to use for most child portraits. It has also proven to be very useful for head and shoulder shots, and 3/4 length shots on adults. I am still a bit more likely to use the 50mm or 28-75 for full length adults and definately on groups. The 85 is my sharpest lens, which is saying a lot. The 50mm is stunning at F3.0 and smaller, but the Bokeh is not nearly as buttery as the 85mm. I think you made a good choice. My only problem is that I am having to back up....then back up again, and sometimes even more to frame my photos. It is really supposed to shine at indoor sports, and I plan to prove this either right or wrong when the high school basketball season begins.

Congrats!, and happy shooting!!!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Woohooo Jan!! Congrats on new toy, now you can show us what you've got! I've been looking at 85 as well, but also 50. Don't know which way to go. What was you decision based on in choosing 85?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    If you don't already have a 50, I'd get it first. IMO it's the best all-purpose lens.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    I don't have any of these lenses, all i have is 18-200 and macro. But i'm about to sell my macro and that is why i'm looking to get either 50 or 85 or may be something else :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Woohooo Jan!! Congrats on new toy, now you can show us what you've got! I've been looking at 85 as well, but also 50. Don't know which way to go. What was you decision based on in choosing 85?

I have both the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8. Overall I think the 85 is a slightly better lens, but the difference in quality isn't large. Both are sharp enough for most purposes at f/2. The 50 might even be sharper than the 85 at f/4 and there is very little difference between them at f/8. My slight preference for the 85 is because the AF seems a bit snappier and the bokeh more consistantly smooth across the aperture range. All that said, I think the quality is close enough that you should pick between them based on the focal length rather than the minor quality differences.

Oh, and back to the OP. Contrats! I have been shooting with the 85/1.8 for a year now and it has been a exceptional performer every time I take it out of the bag. I will use it at any aperture without hesitation; that is an accolade usually reserved for L glass.
  • Options
    geminiphotosgeminiphotos Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Nice 85...Very Nice
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I have both the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8. Overall I think the 85 is a slightly better lens, but the difference in quality isn't large. Both are sharp enough for most purposes at f/2. The 50 might even be sharper than the 85 at f/4 and there is very little difference between them at f/8. My slight preference for the 85 is because the AF seems a bit snappier and the bokeh more consistantly smooth across the aperture range. All that said, I think the quality is close enough that you should pick between them based on the focal length rather than the minor quality differences.

Oh, and back to the OP. Contrats! I have been shooting with the 85/1.8 for a year now and it has been a exceptional performer every time I take it out of the bag. I will use it at any aperture without hesitation; that is an accolade usually reserved for L glass.

Good info. May be, i'll go and buy one Laughing.gif:D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:

Thanks for the information--it's always nice to know that I spent money well! Now I have to decide if I'm going to use it for my shoot tomorrow. I know I'll use my 50 mm most of the time, because I KNOW what I can do w/ that. This is someone I've never met before, so I don't want to risk screwing it up! I have a kids shoot next Fri. night for the kids of a friend, and if I screw up that one it won't be the end of the world, so I might wait until then to try it. I'm sure I'll sneak it on for at least 1-2 shots tomorrow, though. :D
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    I need to stop reading these posts, i just went online and bought myself 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, i couldn't resist the deal, lens and filter for $100 ?

If i lose it somewhere i wont cry Laughing.gif. I need help.rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I need to stop reading these posts, i just went online and bought myself 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, i couldn't resist the deal, lens and filter for $100 ?

If i lose it somewhere i wont cry Laughing.gif. I need help.rolleyes1.gif

That is a great lens. You'll love it!