Options

Customer Cropping

Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited July 30, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'd like to hear from you wedding photogs as to whether you allow your customers to crop thier own wedding photos.

I've been cropping my photos with Aperture to 4x6 images simply because seems to be the standard. However, I understand that it's better to put the whole image into Smug and let the customer crop their own photos.

My fear is that most customers will NOT crop photos and just order their prints without any cropping. This means they and their friends and family will see an image that could be less than desirable. While cropping those images beforehand takes care of that problem, it limits the size of the image the customer can order.

I understand the crop delay feature that allows me to review the crop prior to the order so I can advise customers. However, am I asking too much to have my customers to crop their own photos? I'm sort of thinking that they just want photos without all the work.

Anyways....I'd like your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Marc S

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    This is my thought on it.....wedding and portrtait work is (to me) more artistic than say....... sports photography......again I will re-iterate....this is just my very own humble opinon....that said.......I would not consider allowing any one of my clients to crop my work of Art.....at that point it is no longer wholly my vision.....ok now I supposed I will hear the unless your doiong all your own printing it is not yours wholly either....correct to a point....I can tell my pro printer what I want and expect and if he/she doesn't produce it they will and have redone it to my spefications......that is why I am not pushing to sell thru SM and ez prints......I sign over 90% of my work and having prints mailed to me to sign and then to the client is too much hassel....so I print locally....Same printer as Canon Explorers of Light and Aerial photog Paul Bowen uses........they are easy to work with..............even have rental darkrooms and studio.....have been Here for a very long time.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Thanks Art,

You bring up some interesting points.

I use Smug as a tool to upload images for clients to view. I burn DVDs (from Aperture) of all the corrected prints for brides so they can make prints for themselves. Yes, I know I'm losing money by not selling prints, but it seems to be something that's caught on in this market.

However, it's the parents, relatives, and friends who are buying the prints online. That's where my problem with the cropping comes up. I'm thinking in terms of continuing the crop and perhaps limiting them no more than 5x7. My thinking is that few people, except the bride, will want anything larger.

Marc S
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    What about using the "PROOFING" option in the PRO account?
    I have mine set to 3 days. This way I have 3 business days to look over my customer's order and have the ability to adjust the crop before it goes to print.

Today, I got an order, where she ordered a 4x6 print from a photo with a 1x1 ratio (originally cropped for 5x5 prints). So what I did was "adjust crop" on that photo to make the 4x6 print "more centered".

Personally, I see most of my orders as 4x6 prints, so I pre-crop/size all the images for 4x6 before uploading to SM.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    jchin wrote:
    I have mine set to 3 days. This way I have 3 business days to look over my customer's order and have the ability to adjust the crop before it goes to print.

Today, I got an order, where she ordered a 4x6 print from a photo with a 1x1 ratio (originally cropped for 5x5 prints). So what I did was "adjust crop" on that photo to make the 4x6 print "more centered".

Personally, I see most of my orders as 4x6 prints, so I pre-crop/size all the images for 4x6 before uploading to SM.

DING DING DING We have a winner!!!!

only exception is, I have my proof delay set for 7 days. in case there are computer issues.

eventhough it is set or 7, I can send it to the lab in 1. mwink.gif
  • Options
    mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    I'm about to flip my account to pro, so thanks for the input as to how the process works.

I was a bit concerned because while 8"x10" seems to be the 'gold standard' for medium-sized prints, I tend to crop 4"x6" and that's a lot of photo that must be cropped to fit 4"x5" (or 8"x10"). I think I'll just put a note that 8"x12" would be recommended so as to not lose any part of the picture, assuming they can find frames for it. In fact with the exception of 8"x10", I think I might simply turn off any non-4"x6" ratio prints.

Matt
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    jchin wrote:

Whoa, Whoa WHOA! Say that again? If I put a print delay I can change the crop? SWEET!

But what about when they order a 5x5 print from a 4x6 image, and no matter how you crop it you're going to lose faces?

I'm dealing with this right now and it's definitely getting annoying contacting everyone going "hey, I just saw your print order, you might not like what you get, I suggest 8x12 instead of 8x10!" :-(

Any tips, SmugTeam?

My suggestion is to at LEAST let us pros FORCE a "no crop" option on customers. Aside from that, I guess it's my job to go into the group shots where aspect ratio is critical and put the good 'ol $0.00 down for bad print sizes.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Wow, I didn't know we could adjust crops! That's good to know!
  • Options
    mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Whoa, Whoa WHOA! Say that again? If I put a print delay I can change the crop? SWEET!

But what about when they order a 5x5 print from a 4x6 image, and no matter how you crop it you're going to lose faces?

I'm dealing with this right now and it's definitely getting annoying contacting everyone going "hey, I just saw your print order, you might not like what you get, I suggest 8x12 instead of 8x10!" :-(

Any tips, SmugTeam?

My suggestion is to at LEAST let us pros FORCE a "no crop" option on customers. Aside from that, I guess it's my job to go into the group shots where aspect ratio is critical and put the good 'ol $0.00 down for bad print sizes.

=Matt=

Just upgraded my account to pro and did exactly that. With the exception of 8x10 (just because it's so dang common) the only print sizes I'm offering are 2:3 ratio. I put a note on my prices page that 8x10 would require significant cropping and that 8x12 is a better choice.

Matt