Options

I'm stuck!

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited February 13, 2005 in Cameras
Ok here's the deal. I have the money for a Digital Rebel, but Costco.com replaced it with the 20D. I would much rather buy it from Costco than any other place because I know that Costco is good about returns it anything is defective. It kind of got me thinking if there may be a new version of the Digital Rebel coming out. Would anybody happen to know if a newer version of it will be coming out soon? I don't want to buy the camera only to have a new one come out a week later. I don't exactly have the money for the 20D, or the experience for it, seeing that it is basically one step below the 1 series cameras. Does anybody have any suggestions as to if I should wait a bit for a newer version if one is even coming out. I would like to have the camera within the next month since I'm going to an event at Knott's Berry Farm on March 11 & 12. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Here's a rumor. The catch is, if Canon did announce a new Rebel at PMA, I doubt you could get it in time for your March shoot.
    PMA is fast approaching (Feb 20th-23rd) and I'm sure we'll be seeing some more interesting new Canon products (they announced 10x42 "L" series IS binoculars on Jan 27th) I don't know what's coming next though! Canon don't tell me and I don't know anyone who Canon does tell - and even if I did they couldn't tell me anything that was covered by an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). However I can report that there are certainly lots of rumors flying around the web and the most plausible (to me) suggest that we'll be seeing an 8MP updated Rebel which will sell for around $999.99 (with 18-55 lens). This would go "head to head" with the 8MP Olympus EVOLT E-300, which sells for $999.99 with a similar coverage lens (but a physically smaller sensor). The most reliable rumors suggest we'll probably see an announcement in a couple of weeks and shipping could start in Mid-March. Obviously I can't confirm this, but to me it sounds quite reasonable.

Remember though that if you act today (Jan 31st) and buy a couple of lenses, you can still get a Digital Rebel for $500 or less ($800 - $300 in rebates). That's a pretty good deal (plus you get discounts on the lenses too!).

SOurce
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    If that rumor is true, then I will definately wait for it and just bring my A80 to the event. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.ne_nau.gif
    -Steven

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a new dRebel and a new 1d at PMA.
    Richard
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 9, 2005
    RB,

You're young. You should know this already :D The technology wheel
    turns constantly. So when you have the dough for something new, something
    better is just on the horizon.

I bet if you went with the 20d, you'd be a happier camper than if you wait
    for the new dRebel. Not to mention, the latest and greatest always costs
    way more than something that's already out there.

As always, best of luck in your decision and I'm certain you will enjoy it
    regardless of what you get.

Cheers mate,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    I know that the technology wheel is constantly turning, however, I just wouldn't want a new dRebel coming out so soon from buying the "old" dRebel. It wouldn't be as big of a deal as if it were to come out a few months after buying the old one.

About buying a 20D, are they really that much more advanced than a dRebel? It seems like it might be a bit too advanced for me. How hard is the learning curve compared to a dRebel? I'm sure a 20D would probably last a lot longer for me than a dRebel, seeing as the dRebel doesn't have as many many functions (not to mention some performance issues) as the 20D.

I'll definately be thinking hard about this. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.
    -Steven

• Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    I know that the technology wheel is constantly turning, however, I just wouldn't want a new dRebel coming out so soon from buying the "old" dRebel. It wouldn't be as big of a deal as if it were to come out a few months after buying the old one.

About buying a 20D, are they really that much more advanced than a dRebel? It seems like it might be a bit too advanced for me. How hard is the learning curve compared to a dRebel? I'm sure a 20D would probably last a lot longer for me than a dRebel, seeing as the dRebel doesn't have as many many functions (not to mention some performance issues) as the 20D.

I'll definately be thinking hard about this. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.
    I know what you mean about buying something and then having a better
    version show up shortly thereafter :D

I don't know that the curve is any steeper for a 20d vs. a rebel for what you
    want to do at the outset. There are certainly more features. Maybe Andy
    knows the comparison?

Ian
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    RB,

a learning curve... well I have only one question for you: "do you shoot manual on your current camera?" If the answer is yes then you'll be most happy with a 20D :D. My path: Minolta S404 (very basic, but nice quality), Sony V1 (good manual controls, good quality), Canon D30 (choose it over a 300D because of ergonomics and functionality) and now a 20D.. I think a 300D would never have fit the bill as the D30 did...
    Anyone can shoot a DSLR, you just have to learn some stuff, but you'll get it I'm sure, you seem to be very enthusiastic about your hobby!

Good luck deciding!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    RB,
    Anyone can shoot a DSLR, you just have to learn some stuff, but you'll get it I'm sure, you seem to be very enthusiastic about your hobby!
    Yes, I am very enthusiastic about photography.

I do often shoot manual. Usually the times I shoot full auto are times when I really don't have the time to shoot manual and mess with the settings. If I weren't so limited with my camera now, I would use manual almost all of the time shooting.

Thank you for the advice so far. It really is helping me a lot with deciding on which camera to get.
    -Steven

• Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    What kind of stuff do you shoot though? A 20D may be unnecessary.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Pretty much everything. One of my main things is coasters. I know that AI Servo will help a lot with tracking the train on the coaster. I know I'll get into sports since I go to tons of Gulls games (ECHL) I know that a 20D will last me a long time. I bet if I bought a dRebel, either the rumored new one or old one, I'll just want to upgrade it that much faster than if I had a 20D.
    -Steven

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    fwiw, bhphoto is quite good at returns too. I've only returned a couple of things, but they've accepted them back, no questions asked.

If you like shooting manual, go for the 20D. You won't be happy with a drebel. Not that there's anything wrong with a drebel, but it's just got enough foibles to drive some people nuts (like no MLU).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    ^I'll most likely buy the 20D from Costco.com since I'm familiar with their return policy, not to mention I can just go return it back to the store (which is about 10 minutes from my house). It is good to hear that bhphoto is good about returns, seeing as I will probably be buying lenses from them in the future. Thanks for the infothumb.gif And yes, I love shooting manual.... so much control!icon10.gif
    -Steven

• Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Well, I don't know what the rebel replacement will be like, but as far as currently out cameras, don't get a rebel if you want to shoot sports (I do it, but only out of lack of money).
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Well, I don't know what the rebel replacement will be like, but as far as currently out cameras, don't get a rebel if you want to shoot sports (I do it, but only out of lack of money).
    Richard
    Good point!

Since RB shoots some sports, it's something to consider.

Ian
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 9, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Yes, I am very enthusiastic about photography.

I do often shoot manual. Usually the times I shoot full auto are times when I really don't have the time to shoot manual and mess with the settings. If I weren't so limited with my camera now, I would use manual almost all of the time shooting.

Thank you for the advice so far. It really is helping me a lot with deciding on which camera to get.

Red Bull - The real issue is whether you will be satisfied with the poorer autofocus and the generally slower handling of the 300D versus the 20D. The 300D will limit your ability to focus fast moving subjects and has poorer High ISO noise. The 20D will be a very useful tool for a substantial period into the future because it has such useful functionality. Yes, newer and better technology will come, but the 20D will continue to make excellent images for many years into the future and will not limit your photography nearly as much as the digital Rebel.

If price is an insurmountable issue, I would suggest strongly that you look for a used 10D or a used D60 as an alternative to the 300D. The 300D can take very good pictures, but it is better thought of as a slow view camera - slow to focus etd - than a modern DSLR.
    I bought my wife a 300D last spring and after watching her struggle with it over the last year I replaced it with a 20D. I plan to convert the 300D to IR photography, but that is done at a much slower pace than action photography usually.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 20D will be a very useful tool for a substantial period into the future because it has such useful functionality. Yes, newer and better technology will come, but the 20D will continue to make excellent images for many years into the future and will not limit your photography nearly as much as the digital Rebel.
    That's exactly what I was thinking...I just couldn't really put it into words very well. I do want a camera that I can keep for a long time, since I don't want to be constantly upgrading. Thanks for the advice everybody!
    -Steven

• Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Thanks for the advice everybody!
    You're welcome! However, we forgot to mention the price of advice is a few
    pictures with your new camera (when you do get it).

Ian
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Ok here's the deal. I have the money for a Digital Rebel, but Costco.com replaced it with the 20D. I would much rather buy it from Costco than any other place because I know that Costco is good about returns it anything is defective. It kind of got me thinking if there may be a new version of the Digital Rebel coming out. Would anybody happen to know if a newer version of it will be coming out soon? I don't want to buy the camera only to have a new one come out a week later. I don't exactly have the money for the 20D, or the experience for it, seeing that it is basically one step below the 1 series cameras. Does anybody have any suggestions as to if I should wait a bit for a newer version if one is even coming out. I would like to have the camera within the next month since I'm going to an event at Knott's Berry Farm on March 11 & 12. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    HEY... just got an email from a buddy. Rumor is that Canon will introduce an 8.3mp DRebel next week at PMA in Orlando. Same buddy that told me the 20D would be released a week before anyone else knew of it, or sites had info posted. He seems to have a good info line. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    But the question is...What features are added into it that the first dRebel didn't? Some of the main things I want is AI Servo, fast focusing, and a large image buffer. Those are just some of the drawbacks from me purchasing a Digital Rebel.
    -Steven

• Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    20D's raw buffer is only 6 shots, after that it drops to .7fps.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    But even at 6 shots, it still is more than the Digital Rebel. I won't be shooting raw much anyway. Not until I get more experience.
    -Steven

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Hi Steven!

Here's my 2 cents to help you decide. Rent. It's what I did. I rented a Rebel for a Saturday and then rented a 10D the following Saturday. It was cheap.

I was already as Canon EOS user (film type), so there was some history to what felt comfortable to use. I also had some lenses which helped the decision. However, that being said, there still was no doubt for me which one to buy. The 10D (and now of course the 20D) was just better all around.

I now have a 20D for many of the reasons stated by others: faster focus, greatly improved high ISO, etc., etc.

But that was me. You could very well be different. So test drive before you buythumb.gif .

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    I never knew you could rent cameras. Where are they available to rent and how much is it?
    -Steven