Options

Setting up a studio

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited July 31, 2007 in Accessories
I want to set up a little studio in my basement...mostly for pics of my own family but potentially for clients. I think I'm going for the simple setup of a large softbox, reflector, and alien bee.

I am going to use BH Photo for everything but the alien bee itself. I was going to buy the softbox there as well, but they don't have a recessed something-or-other (whatever that means but from reading that sounds important).
Here's the softbox I picked out:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382...tbox_White.html
And the AB800
http://www.alienbees.com/b800.html
And a reflector that I haven't chosen yet.
Now for the stupid questions. Does the softbox come w/ a stand or do I need to purchase one? Also, I know I need a speedring, but I'm confused on which model, exactly, I need.
Also, do I need this trigger: http://www.alienbees.com/rft1.html
It would be SO much easier to just order this all through alien bees. Are the non-recessed softboxes THAT bad?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    The softbox does not come with a light stand & it appears just getting an AB800 by itself, that does not either. I'd suggest this: http://www.adorama.com/JTLS800B.html?searchinfo=jtl%20light%20stand&item_no=7?searchinfo=jtl%20light%20stand&item_no=7
    While not available at B&H, I have these JTL stands and am very happy with them--I like them better than the SV one I have. Cheaper & more sturdy.

For speedrings, I believe AB uses the Balcar-style rings.
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    For simplicity and the cost savings, you might look at just getting the Alienbees Brolly box. I have an AB400 and Brolly box and have been quite happy with it. Its merely and umbrella softbox which is much easier to setup. The trade off is that the light is not as focused. But that hasn't been a problem for me. Another savings may be this trigger. I have this one and it appears to be the same model that Alienbees sells for about half the cost. Buy your light stand somewhere else. I had an Alienbees stand that broke within 30 minutes of the first use. But that was the only thing from them that was less than perfect.
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    For simplicity and the cost savings, you might look at just getting the Alienbees Brolly box. I have an AB400 and Brolly box and have been quite happy with it. Its merely and umbrella softbox which is much easier to setup. The trade off is that the light is not as focused. But that hasn't been a problem for me. Another savings may be this trigger. I have this one and it appears to be the same model that Alienbees sells for about half the cost. Buy your light stand somewhere else. I had an Alienbees stand that broke within 30 minutes of the first use. But that was the only thing from them that was less than perfect.

I really want to start out right and not have to replace stuff down the road, so I think I'm going with the AB800 & softbox right from the get-go. I will look into that trigger & stand. Thanks!!
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    i'm not sure if you're trying to do this on a budget. *IF* you are, let me make some suggestions:

1) forget the softbox. too expensive. get some brolly-box type umbrellas. alien bees has them OR you can find them on ebay from a company called AMVONA. i've picked up 36" and 40" for around $30 or less each shippped.

2) i have a rf transmitter similar to the gadget infinity one. it works well for me, i use it practically every week when i shoot weddings. i've got pocket wizards on my "to get" list though.

3) get a reflector... one of the 42" variety works nicely. great for soft lighting

4) buy your A clamps at the dollar store or better yet, a harbor freight if you have one nearby.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto