Options

Phoenix Trip

chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited July 31, 2007 in Journeys
I helped my daughter Brittney move to Phoenix, AZ to prepare to go to school.

A picture story follows: Spokane, Washington to Zion National Park to
Phoenix, Arizona to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon to a little fire
outside of Missoula, Montana:

p630967213.jpg

Go here:

http://chuckhartshorn.zenfolio.com/p357531236?photo=630967213

and click on "Slideshow" and (hopefully) enjoy the ride...

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 31, 2007
    You've got some nice shots but this doesn't really fill the theme of Journeys.

How's about adding some dialog and a few more shots?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Pretty cool trip. How did you all like our 'dry heat'??

Looks like you hiked Camelback Mountain- did you hike Echo Canyon or up from the Scottsdale side?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Pretty cool trip. How did you all like our 'dry heat'??

Looks like you hiked Camelback Mountain- did you hike Echo Canyon or up from the Scottsdale side?

Hi Aaron,

Good question!

We hiked up from 64th near the North side of the Phoenician golf course (country club or whatever).

It was a bit hot for us Northerners, even with a 7:45 AM "alpine start". :cry

The next time we visit we plan on doing a "traverse" from West to East.

My daughter's boyfriend said we were visiting during the Phoenix, AZ "monsoon season" and there was a fair amount of humidity along with the 98 degree Fahrenheit temperature.

Unfortunately, we were present during the helicoptors colliding in Phoenix. Our condolences to their families.

I'll have to search for "Echo Canyon" for our next trip to Phoenix. BTW, my wife loves Phoenix!

Perhaps we can get togther next time for a photography hike as my sons are getting quite interested in photography. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    You've got some nice shots but this doesn't really fill the theme of Journeys.

How's about adding some dialog and a few more shots?

Thanks,
    Ian
    I'll try Ian.

My family traveled from Spokane, Washington, USA to Phoenix, Arizona leaving Tuesday, July 24th and returning on Sunday, July 29th. The total mileage traveled is a bit over 3000 miles. Fairly significant for a family "trip".

We traveled by 2 cars and averaged a bit over 700 miles per day.

We used the interstates in the US and traveled through quite a few areas that my family had never visited before. The following picture was taken in Zion National park located in South-Central Utah, USA:

p639842465.jpg

The geography is amazing in Utah, as it represents glimpse of the earth many, many millions of years ago when it was literally an "inland sea":

p1015835624.jpg

p782862320.jpg

It's difficult to grasp the millions of years representing the climate and geologic earth change here in Zion national park:

p713430050.jpgp

We celebrated my daughter's first night at her new apartment, many, many miles away from home with a special dinner:

p702173557.jpg

We decide to make an alpine "climb" of Camelback mountain located in Scottsdale, Arizona which is more known for very, very expensive homes and shopping centers:

p1020709803.jpg

98 degrees and 80+% humidity has a delirious affect on the body when you are not acclimatized to it:

p728414639.jpg

A friend urging us onto the summit of Camelback mountain:

p912499982.jpg

"Bagged another summit" thumb.gif :ivar wings.gif

p678085564.jpg

On our return 2 day, 1485 mile trip from Phoenix, Arizona, we stopped by the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I was a bit concerned with how the pictures appeared a bit "hazy" on the preview of my camera. I think they turned out "ok".

p881171203.jpg

p868538590.jpg

p750622137.jpg

p1009497319.jpg

The viewpoint tower and tourist trinket stop at the South Rim, interesting, especially for the native Navajo who played his pipes with passion bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

p550998804.jpg

p959684678.jpg

He was "da man":

p573361738.jpg

I kinda liked this pix:

p676870441.jpg

We enjoyed Zion national park so much that we traversed the park from East to West on our return trip:

p977196337.jpg

p745348926.jpg

p858029675.jpg

We encountered a major forest fire in central Montana (near Missoula) that smothered sun and caused major traffic delays on I-90 (primary interstate that runs East-West through Montana:

p542579865.jpg

p972625459.jpg

Protect and serve:

p810754917.jpg

Danger!!! :

p945599036.jpg

A home saved:

p880353472.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    Route followed, Spokane, to Phoenix (1446 miles in 2 days):

p966376769-4.jpg

Route followed, Phoenix to Spokane (1631 miles in 2 days):

p568013684-4.jpg

And, home safe, thank you...
    wings.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 31, 2007
    Thanks mucho!

That's a long way through some really beautiful country!

I was up on the Eastern side of Washington a few years back and I really liked that part of the country.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Echo Canyon is the West side trail which is quite difficult from everything I have heard.

Heres a map
    http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hikcmgud.html

This is indeed monsoon season which is why there is some humidity. 98 is quite cool though- after the monsoon is over we will hit 115 or higher again.

If your wife loved Phoenix don't come back in the winter or she will make you move here right away. :D

I'd be up for a meet up- my little guy is into photography as well at the ripe old age of 8.

Nice trip and nice photos!
    chuckh wrote:
    Hi Aaron,

Good question!

We hiked up from 64th near the North side of the Phoenician golf course (country club or whatever).

It was a bit hot for us Northerners, even with a 7:45 AM "alpine start". :cry

The next time we visit we plan on doing a "traverse" from West to East.

My daughter's boyfriend said we were visiting during the Phoenix, AZ "monsoon season" and there was a fair amount of humidity along with the 98 degree Fahrenheit temperature.

Unfortunately, we were present during the helicoptors colliding in Phoenix. Our condolences to their families.

I'll have to search for "Echo Canyon" for our next trip to Phoenix. BTW, my wife loves Phoenix!

Perhaps we can get togther next time for a photography hike as my sons are getting quite interested in photography. clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Echo Canyon is the West side trail which is quite difficult from everything I have heard.

Heres a map
    http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hikcmgud.html

This is indeed monsoon season which is why there is some humidity. 98 is quite cool though- after the monsoon is over we will hit 115 or higher again.

If your wife loved Phoenix don't come back in the winter or she will make you move here right away. :D

I'd be up for a meet up- my little guy is into photography as well at the ripe old age of 8.

Nice trip and nice photos!

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the information Aaron. We talked with another "summiter" who suggested a traverse of Camelback which would start/end with the Echo canyon that you refer to above. I'd love to do a traverse next time we visit! I'll send you email when we do to see if we can arrange to meet. thumb.gif

My children are growing up, their ages range from 12-24.

Agreed, my son graduated from ASU last December and my wife loved Phoenix! However, we also enjoy downhill skiing and that is a bit difficult to do anywhere near Phoenix. eek7.gif

Best,

Chuck