Options

A second look

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited July 31, 2007 in Weddings
I don't like to "rescue" images per se, but this underexposed/backlit candid from Saturday's wedding was particularly gratifying. Less than 5 minutes in lightroom/photoshop...trash to treasure! What do you think?

178567344-M.jpg

178567629-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Nice save, Lynne! I think the blown out sky compliments her wistful expression and certainly the gown and the momentl very well. I think her face and hair could use a bit more contrast in shadowed areas to bring out more depth, but I do like what you've done here. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Nice save, Lynne! I think the blown out sky compliments her wistful expression and certainly the gown and the momentl very well. I think her face and hair could use a bit more contrast in shadowed areas to bring out more depth, but I do like what you've done here. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo! I actually added a diffused layer of white, because the contrast seemed too harsh for the high key effect. I am not completely satisfied with the shot as-is, so I may keep playing with it (or, wait and see if she even likes it!)

Oh and BTW I saw the link to your full avatar....I have been soooo curious too, I felt like I was stumbling upon a long lost treasure! So cute but now I feel like the kid who peeked at his christmas presents early. Got my fix but now the mystery is gone. Laughing.gif!!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Wow I love it...great job!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Nice job--I love it!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks schmoo! I actually added a diffused layer of white, because the contrast seemed too harsh for the high key effect. I am not completely satisfied with the shot as-is, so I may keep playing with it (or, wait and see if she even likes it!)

Oh and BTW I saw the link to your full avatar....I have been soooo curious too, I felt like I was stumbling upon a long lost treasure! So cute but now I feel like the kid who peeked at his christmas presents early. Got my fix but now the mystery is gone. Laughing.gif!!!!

rolleyes1.gif

I don't know what to think.. am I no longer the man behind the curtain? Aw shucks! ;)

I'm guessing in the wedding business you don't usually have the time to rescue photos? Or do you make exceptions for shots that have full potential? So curious because it seems like such a high-stress business...
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

I don't know what to think.. am I no longer the man behind the curtain? Aw shucks! ;)

I'm guessing in the wedding business you don't usually have the time to rescue photos? Or do you make exceptions for shots that have full potential? So curious because it seems like such a high-stress business...

It's more a personal goal, to not shoot crap and think "oh, I'll just fix that in photoshop." (Like I did when I first started out. Not with weddings, just in general).

Weddings are not that bad. Sure, it's exhausting, but artistically I'm finding them a great fit for me. They provide a lot of opportunities to leverage whatever strengths I have as a photographer, but enough challenge to keep me hammering away at my inadequacies. :D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Lynne,

I guess it'll do in a pinch:D, but I think I would loose the diffuse layer. A little more contrast would be a good thing.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Wow! I love the fix.

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    Wow! I love the fix.

Kari
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I'm liking it. I think I remember you liking a particular head shot I did on a bridal shoot recently where the veil was blown and it had a similar look. That photo of mine worked particularly well in every monotone or duotone that I tried. The necklace looks very similar as well. I am a big fan of your work. My BIG DAY is this Saturday, and if half my shots are half as good as what I see you post here....well I will be satisfied.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Doesn't look like a rescue. Looks like it was shot like that on purpose. Sweet!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I'm liking it. I think I remember you liking a particular head shot I did on a bridal shoot recently where the veil was blown and it had a similar look. That photo of mine worked particularly well in every monotone or duotone that I tried. The necklace looks very similar as well. I am a big fan of your work. My BIG DAY is this Saturday, and if half my shots are half as good as what I see you post here....well I will be satisfied.

I remember now that image very well, it's interesting the ways we are all influenced!

That necklace style is immensely popular right now, I've had more than one bride wear it, and I've only done a half-dozen or so weddings this year.

I am flattered by your compliment, I certainly have a lot to learn! You seem to have a knack for posing subjects, something I am terrible at. Best of luck this weekend, can't wait to see the results! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Ha,

I can't wait to see the results either. I have been working on this wedding for months now. She ordered a 16x24 of the pic I put in the whipping post and said(I haven't seen it) that it turned out incredible. Guess I get to see that Saturday as well.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    She is a beautiful bride and I'll bet she loves the shot. A very, very nice save.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Nice save! I vote for black and white however.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Lynne
    I like the fix but think with a bit of facial work (remove the blemishes) and soften the skin a bit would certainly add to the beauty of the shot. Actually, the original is not horrible at all..in fact it's pretty. I realize the side of the building and roof aren't the greatest background but a super high key background seems to take away the elegance of her look and pose (and the angle in which you shot). Just my 2 cents mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    She's a very pretty bride and you've given the original shot a great new look! Have you tried the new version as a B&W? For some reason, my eyes are drawn to her neck in the new pic, and to my eyes there is a sort of very slight greeny tint there and in the shadows on her face. :hide Of course, no one else has mentioned this, and I'm paranoid about green shadows, so don't take this toooo seriously! I just wondered about a B&W? And I'm sorry if I just contributed to your frustrations with skin tones!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    I agree with Elaine about the color cast. I was seeing yellow, but I think green is closer.

BUT! I just LOVE the shot and color cast is not that huge a deal. I love the high key feel of it and would LOVE to see it in B&W - I bet it would be gorgeous.

A tad bit of contrast might be nice, but then again... it might not.

Awesome save! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Although I think you've taken this pix a long ways ... I don't think you're quite there. The skin tone/contrast/overall lightness just isn't quite right on my monitor. Maybe a B&W conversion would make this shot a bit more timeless. (Then again it could just be my monitor.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed