Options

BEANPOT- A college hockey tradition

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited February 14, 2005 in Sports
The first two mondays in Febuary brings the BEANPOT College Hockey Tournment. I takes the 4 Division 1 College hockey teams that are in the city together for beanpot rights. The 3 schools are Harvard, Northeastern, Boston College and Boston University. The beanpot is just over 50 years old and Boston University OWNS it, winning it 25 times.

First game was Northeastern vs Harvard, NU won in overtime 2-1
Second game was Boston College vs Boston University, BU winning 201.
Making next weeks final of BU vs NU (NU hasnt won a pot since 1985)

I missed every single goal, the elevators in the FLEET suck to move around in (and you cant take the stairs to some places).

But here are some of the highlights:
15554989-M-1.jpg
15555580-M-1.jpg

15555644-M-1.jpg
15561775-M-1.jpg

15579710-M-1.jpg

15582030-M-1.jpg

If you are interested in the rest of the gallery it is here:
http://winger.smugmug.com/gallery/389863

I am quite pleased with the colors and just how the quality of the pictures came out. Makes me wish I could shoot at the fleet more often. I still was getting used to shooting through a hole in the glass, so hopefully next week I will get better action.

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    This one is really cool. The puck's in the air and he's looking at it going past. Your technique is spot on. clap.gif

15579710-S-1.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 10, 2005
    Winger, you've got hockey down to a science! This whole series is perfection! clear, no blurring, sharp, color balance is perfect thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 10, 2005
    Karen,
    These are all really nice. Great color and the lighting looked like it was real good too. You can see very good detail of every player's face, even through the goalie's mask thumb.gifthumb.gif

Sorry, you missed the goals. But, you must be very happy with the way these turned out nod.gif

I'll be looking forward to your pics from the finals between Northeastern and BU.

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing them,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    fish wrote:
    This one is really cool. The puck's in the air and he's looking at it going past. Your technique is spot on. clap.gif

15579710-S-1.jpg
    The one before it is just bouncing off his pad.
    15579706-M-1.jpg

But in the 2nd one (in the sequence, first one in this post) you can see the logo on the puck.

Yeah I was really pleased with the colors. I am also bring a crate next monday to sit on( the holes were awkwardly placed). And I am just going to bring my gear down with me, that way I wont be stuck in an elevator in between periods (thus eleminating one of my goal missing problems, the other was i was on the wrong end of the ice)
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Excellent shotsthumb.gif Hockey is my favorite sport, so I love hockey pictures.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Excellent shotsthumb.gif Hockey is my favorite sport, so I love hockey pictures.
    Thats funny because my drinking team has a hockey problem.
  • Options
    hk_riderhk_rider Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2005
    Great photos, Winger!

Go Terriers!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    Nice series!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Great series. I love the action and compostion of this shot:

15554989-S-1.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Great series. I love the action and compostion of this shot:

15554989-S-1.jpg
    Yeah that is the sort of shot I take for myself. Its hard because when I shoot I have to think of where the photos are going to end up. Some are going to be the backgrounds of the media guide. Some are going to be more artsy type feature photos for the athletic publications and the media guide, then I need vertical ones for the realeases on the website, and I need horizontal ones for the realeases on another website. (Then of course I can put a photo like this one in the photo gallery on the website).

I think that is the biggest challenge I have, making sure I get photos to satisify all the needs.
    Lucky for hockey I have such a stock pile (at least for umass, not for this beanpot tournment) that I can take more time and experiment more.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Excellent work, Winger! thumb.gif Remind me again how you white balance?

Photo #3 on this page is a real winner, deserves to be in a magazine.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent work, Winger! thumb.gif Remind me again how you white balance?

Photo #3 on this page is a real winner, deserves to be in a magazine.
    I white balance off of the home jerseys. That way the home jerseys are really white and then it makes the ice an off white, I think it looks better, easier to disguinsh the ice from the skaters.

I know other people use grey cards to white balance. I havent tried that, but I am pleased with my results for far doing it this way.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 13, 2005
    winger wrote:
    I white balance off of the home jerseys. That way the home jerseys are really white and then it makes the ice an off white, I think it looks better, easier to disguinsh the ice from the skaters.

I know other people use grey cards to white balance. I havent tried that, but I am pleased with my results for far doing it this way.
    Have you tried an expo disk or the coffee filter method?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Have you tried an expo disk or the coffee filter method?

ian
    naaa.
    I kind of like em they way they are now. At least for the fleet and the home rink, maybe I should think about other methods for rinks where the light isnt as good. ( I think for that reason is why my friend always uses the grey card where he goes)
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    winger wrote:
    naaa.
    I kind of like em they way they are now. At least for the fleet and the home rink, maybe I should think about other methods for rinks where the light isnt as good. ( I think for that reason is why my friend always uses the grey card where he goes)
    check out WhiBal.com...

Pssst, Winger, I got a new toy this weekend, check the photo challenge thread (or my daily photo).

:D
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    check out WhiBal.com...

Pssst, Winger, I got a new toy this weekend, check the photo challenge thread (or my daily photo).

:D
    ohhh we need to get together and make them talk to each other!!!!

I soo needed you for my lax photo the other day....stupid chicks and their damn black warm ups :(
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    winger wrote:
    ohhh we need to get together and make them talk to each other!!!!

I soo needed you for my lax photo the other day....stupid chicks and their damn black warm ups :(
    Another team shot? Yeah, dual 580's would have been the ticket. Really easy to setup too, well, at least for me they are, after spending about 8 hours on saturday figuring it out :D

You have my phone number, use it whenever. You know I'm always down to help with photography.
    Erik