Options

bad luck!?!

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited February 14, 2005 in Accessories
I shouldn't have but i got a nice hitachi 4gig off ebay.. been working great.. only used it 4 time and not im getting a cf error and when trying to format it in camera i get a error 99... so is this card fried? wast of $300.00
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    Hi Aaron... you're saying it worked fine in this particular camera, and now it's not? And you've tried turning the camera off and back on again?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    yes.. fine before and not working at all right now. have turned the cam on/off and even updated the firmware.ne_nau.gif
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    2.2gig limit
    There is a problem with going above 2gig in that the camera must support FAT32. I don't think the 20D is one that will support this. But I may be wrong so check....

I think It goes back to computer hard drive size limits and FAT32 there....I'm not sure of the details but someone may be able to explain. You should still be able to format to 2.2gig ???

Try a search on camera compatability and see what you come up with.

I shouldn't have but i got a nice hitachi 4gig off ebay.. been working great.. only used it 4 time and not im getting a cf error and when trying to format it in camera i get a error 99... so is this card fried? wast of $300.00
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2004
    Well, that sound very technical. So it must be right!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 10, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    There is a problem with going above 2gig in that the camera must support FAT32. I don't think the 20D is one that will support this. But I may be wrong so check....

I think It goes back to computer hard drive size limits and FAT32 there....I'm not sure of the details but someone may be able to explain. You should still be able to format to 2.2gig ???

The 20D can only address 999 files in a folder - and then needs to have a different CF card inserted. When I insert a formatted 4 Gb IBM CF hard drive in my 20D it only shows 968 images available for shooting. When I place the same 4 Gb drive in my 1DMkll and format it, it shows only 724 images available as L jpgs. Apparently the 1DMkll files are slightly larger? Larger sensor creates slightly more data perhaps?

Either way, that is a heck of a lot of images. 724/36 = ~ 20 rolls of film - that should hold you for an afternoon anyway thumb.gif
    968/36 = ~ 29 rolls - try carrying around, loading and unloading 29 rolls of film for an afternoon. rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 11, 2004
    yes.. fine before and not working at all right now. have turned the cam on/off and even updated the firmware.ne_nau.gif
    Have you tried re-formatting the card?

Can you give some hints as to the camera configuration?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:

The EOS-20D supports the FAT32 directory structure. (FAT stands for File Allocation Table, and FAT32 indicates that these newer cards use a 32-bit File Allocation Table. In general, digicams made before 2003 supported only FAT 16.) The larger address space provided by FAT32 is necessary for managing high-capacity memory cards of 2GB or greater capacity.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    mr_davidmr_david Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2005
    Lexar 2gb 80x WA enabled
    This card gives me errors if I try to store more than approx. 30mb on it. It works in my camera, and on my pc, but after 30mb, "card cannot be read" error. I've tried formatting in the camera, and on the pc also. have tried fat and fat 32. fat 32 is not supposed to work in my nikon coolpix 5700, but it seems to work for the first 30mb, same as plain old fat. Any ideas?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    mr_david wrote:
    This card gives me errors if I try to store more than approx. 30mb on it. It works in my camera, and on my pc, but after 30mb, "card cannot be read" error. I've tried formatting in the camera, and on the pc also. have tried fat and fat 32. fat 32 is not supposed to work in my nikon coolpix 5700, but it seems to work for the first 30mb, same as plain old fat. Any ideas?
    That sounds remarkably like the 1GB Sandisk Ultra II I had. Although that one could take 500 MB before it gave the "card read error". In the end, the card proofed to be defective, and was exchanged for a new one (same type) that has performed since that day without any issues.
    enjoy being here while getting there