Options

Hello Minneapolis...everyone alright?

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited August 6, 2007 in The Big Picture
That Bridge collapse looks pretty horrible.

Hope you are all okay.

ann

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    i saw it on tv i hope everyone is fine
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 2, 2007
    What a horrible accident. :cry

If you have Google Earth, I believe this is the bridge site:

44º48'00.93" N
    93º17'23.68" W

EDIT: The above are wrong, anyone know the correct coordinates?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Molsondog wrote:
    The spirit of Minnesotans came into play again as countless locals pitched in well into the night to assist first responders.

We all hold hope for the missing and pray for the families of the victims.

Well said. What a terrible accident.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    What a horrible accident. :cry

If you have Google Earth, I believe this is the bridge site:

44º48'00.93" N
    93º17'23.68" W

EDIT: The above are wrong, anyone know the correct coordinates?
    Try this

44.978941°
    -93.245009°
    or
    44°58'44.19"N
    93°14'42.00"W
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    That's it. Thanks, Allen thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I feel so bad for all the victims and their families, i absolutely HATE bridges!! I'm dreading going over Skyway here in St. Pete, especially after the old one collapsed on May 9th 1980. It collapsed under different circumstances. A ship hit the bridge, knocking a 1,200 foot span of the bridge into Tampa Bay. Thirty-five people plunged 150 feet to their deaths. Most of them were on board a Greyhound bus bound for Miami. Just horrible :cry And i wont even go on how many people commit suicide by jumping from Skyway.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I watched the videos on the morning news. How horrible. That school bus full of kids just made my heart sink. Just think how scared those kids were. I'm glad they are all ok. I'm saying prayers for all that were there.

You just don't want to think that this "just happened". You tend to want to believe that it was an intentional act caused by some demented soul or an accident. Then you can place the blame somewhere. It's just so hard to believe it "just happened".:cry
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Thanks Ann!! It's quite hectic here in the Twin Cities. I was on the bridge about 35 to 40 minutes prior to it going down.

The bridge is as important to our transportation system as the Bay Bridge is to San Francisco.

Early estimates say it will take at least 2 years to get a new bridge in place.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Did you see the Video footage of the actual collapse from the stationary camera that was fixed on the bridge. It just failed and dropped straight down. Actually because of the drop straight down and that traffic was stop and go, less people were injured than otherwise could have been the case.

My prayers are with the people of the Twin cities tonight.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    What, did something happen around here?

Kidding of course. This has been on the local news day and night.
    I don't know who's going to lose their jobs over this, but I'll bet it will be a few of them.

I've lived here all my life, I don't think I've ever used that bridge.
    But then again, I get lost every time I go to Minneapolis.eek7.gif

All we can do now is wait for the names of the unlucky folks that took that route and didn't make it home.

Where the "35W" is over the water is where it went down.
    179872515-L.png
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    You just don't want to think that this "just happened". You tend to want to believe that it was an intentional act caused by some demented soul or an accident. Then you can place the blame somewhere. It's just so hard to believe it "just happened".:cry

It's definitely a very sad thing to see. Sometimes things do "just happen" & from what I'm reading so far this is one of those times. Don't get too hung up on placing blame somewhere--a little soapbox here, IMHO society has spent too much time finger pointing rather than just dealing with things lately.

One interesting side effect is apparently CalTrans here in SoCal is going to start looking real hard at all our bridges now.
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Firstly, my heart goes out to the families of victims and to the survivors.

I had heard that several of the bridges (including this one) in the area were on "watch" lists, being checked every year instead of every other year. Now that didn't mean they were in imminant danger of collapse (or they wouldn't just be being watched), but given general reaction to this news, we'll see what happens with the rest of the aging bridge system there.

But, in general, probably a good many of the nations bridges are in the same relative age group, i.e., showing signs of age, but still functional. But after an accident like this, there tends to be a strong call to action (i.e., see Claudermilk's post above). I don't know how state or the fed gov't can afford to really move into the do something now stage about all these old bridges currently on "watch" lists. Or, even if they could, just the huge amount of time and man-power necessary. It'll be interesting to see what happens around the nation as a result of this tragedy.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    The ignorance of bridge quality. :bs
    Alex Q.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    I found this bridge collapse gallery at another forum.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Where the "35W" is over the water is where it went down.
    Is that a weir that appears to be completely blocking the river, just upstream? What's the purpose of that? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Molsondog wrote:
    Locks and Dams are frequent through the rapids that define this stretch of the river....
    Thanks for the information. thumb.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    But, in general, probably a good many of the nations bridges are in the same relative age group, i.e., showing signs of age, but still functional. But after an accident like this, there tends to be a strong call to action (i.e., see Claudermilk's post above). I don't know how state or the fed gov't can afford to really move into the do something now stage about all these old bridges currently on "watch" lists. Or, even if they could, just the huge amount of time and man-power necessary. It'll be interesting to see what happens around the nation as a result of this tragedy.

C.

It will be intersting to say the least. More in the news out here on bridges too. Apparently many are alrteady undergoing inspection & the results are sobering (e..g, rusted pieces falling off while the inspector is examining them. :oogle:wow). Looks like we now get to start paying for ignoring the infrastructure for so many years. Weee, another financial crisis for the state.