Options

Posing

SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
edited August 3, 2007 in People
Don't know if ya'll have trouble posing people...but what do ya'll think of this one? A good friend of mine wanted some pics for her soon to be husband. I thought the roses were a cute touch...I rarely bring props to the table when photographing people.

SOLOSMALL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I wish she was crossing her legs, had them off to one side...something. I do like the roses in contrast w/ her dark shirt.
  • Options
    Clickr_GrlClickr_Grl Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I agree... somthing about the way she's sitting just isn't lady-like at all. You want this type of photo to be romantic and beautiful... the roses are a good look, but might have been cuter used in a different way. I always keep a few different colored boxes of silk petals around for just this sort of occasion... makes for a very sultry mood.mwink.gif I would try something without jeans, legs crossed, and maybe a wider shot, something that shows the pose. ne_nau.gif
    :barb
    I am Mine!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    The colors and the lighting are very nice here, and she's a very pretty lady, but the crop/pose/position of the roses are not working for me, to be completely honest! I think the shot would be more flattering with some angles, rather than straight on. Maybe shoot from a higher position with her chin slightly raised, and the roses providing some nice color but somewhat blurred as they rest on her lap...or something? I don't even know if you're planning to reshoot, but that's the direction I would try.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    Thanks ya'll...yeah I didn't like the angle myself once I saw it. You can't really see it, but she's strattling a stump, or log. She's a really good friend of mine...so perhaps I can tell her to let's reshoot it.

THanks again for all the comments. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I agree with everyone else, she's very lovely lady, the pose isn't very flattering. Have you tried posing her sideway looking at you? I think straight shots not as interesting, even with legs crossed. May be standing by a tree or something? Just a thought. Good luck with the re-shoot and let us see it :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Try to get her shoulders about 45 degrees to the camera. Shot from a higher perspective, and shallow up the DOF. F4 might be a good starting point. The angles will help slim her a bit. Technically your posted shot is good. It is in focus, good saturation, exposure etc. It just isn't very flattering that square on.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    The 45 angle is a great ideal...thanks I'll try that. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    The photo can be saved by cropping it just under the bouquet.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    SandyThe photo can be saved by cropping it just under the bouquet.

I agree.

Body turned 45 degrees. Legs together, not crossed (maybe cross the ankles). I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction her face is turned and tilted.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    I agree.

Body turned 45 degrees. Legs together, not crossed (maybe cross the ankles). I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction her face is turned and tilted.

Yes totally agree!