Options

Anyone work full time and do portraits?

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited August 3, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I am a teacher, and this summer I started doing some portraits first for friends and family, and then for a few other people via word of mouth. I've been doing 2-3 sessions a week. This is perfectly doable for me, as I feel no guilt aobut leaving my son with his dad (my husband) for a couple of hours 3 days a week since I'm home all day w/ him, and then I do the editing while the both sleep or during my son's naptime.

However, when I start teaching in (sob) 2 weeks, my life will change. I am not as willing to give up time w/ my little guy, and then there's the editing factor. But if I want to ever do this full-time (which I'd love to at some point), I need to keep the ball rolling, KWIM.

Anyone in the same boat, and if so, how many sessions a week do you do? I was thinking 2...I would give up one evening and one weekend morning...

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 3, 2007
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    How old is your little guy?

He's 3.
  • Options
    mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I am a teacher, and this summer I started doing some portraits first for friends and family, and then for a few other people via word of mouth. I've been doing 2-3 sessions a week. This is perfectly doable for me, as I feel no guilt aobut leaving my son with his dad (my husband) for a couple of hours 3 days a week since I'm home all day w/ him, and then I do the editing while the both sleep or during my son's naptime.

However, when I start teaching in (sob) 2 weeks, my life will change. I am not as willing to give up time w/ my little guy, and then there's the editing factor. But if I want to ever do this full-time (which I'd love to at some point), I need to keep the ball rolling, KWIM.

Anyone in the same boat, and if so, how many sessions a week do you do? I was thinking 2...I would give up one evening and one weekend morning...

We're in a similar situation.

I'm an EMT that's finishing up nursing school, so I work 36 hours a week in the ER and am at school 4 days a week 7-2.

My wife's a teacher.

Oh, and we have a 1-month-old.

So it's a pretty busy house. Why are we taking on running a part-time business? We both have always wanted to run our own business. I'll be graduating soon and have already lined up a high-paying 'weekend only' schedule with my hospital, where I will work Fri-Sat-Sun only. This will signficantly effect our income- which is decent already- and my wife intends to go part-time at her teaching job as a result. This means we essentially have Mon-Thur off and available for family stuff/photography. Of course, at this point we're not looking to do more than sustain our addiction to this hobby. Currently we have one shoot every week to every other week signed up, weekday evenings.

So I can emphasize with you, Jan.

Matt
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Jan-

A perspective you may not have considered....the law of economics. Raise your prices significantly and you'll be doing less work for more money.

You're worth way more than you're currently charging. By raising your sitting fees and your prints, you may have LESS clients (at first) but when you do have a client, they will actually have an appreciation for the value of your talent (which you have in spades) and not just the fact that you are cheap.

And, conversely, your low prices are probably discouraging more affluent clients already. There's a perception working against you here...if you're that cheap, you must not be any good. Silly, but luxury items (like on location artistic photography) are extremely price sensitive this way. No one would want a Mercedes Benz if they cost the same as a Chevy...regardless of the quality difference.

I desperately wish I hadn't been so afraid to charge what I was worth from the beginning. I was too afraid I would lose clients. Before long, I had so many clients I didn't have time to take them all, yet I wasn't making any money (spending a ton of it on equipment and software though for sure!), and I never saw my (2 year old) son. Things are more profitable/manageable now, but as I've become more competitive, I'm having trouble explaining/shaking the "cheap photographer" reputation. The broke clients that gave me good word of mouth are sending me....more broke clients. It's the harsh reality.

A photographer I assisted once gave me a great gem I didn't appreciate at the time. He told me the only way to survive (90% of photography businesses fail, BTW) is to price photography as if your livelihood depended on it, not just what you need to make a few extra bucks on the weekend. At the time I thought he was overpriced, but I've come to understand through my own struggles he was 100% right. And he has supported his family with portrait photography going on 20 years.

I hope you find this helpful....you are EXTREMELY talented and I hope you find a happy medium. Good luck! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Hmmm...Lynne, you made some excellent points!

I seem to be watching a lot of your posts these days, Jan, as I'm working through some of the same issues! I wish you the best!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Jan-

A perspective you may not have considered....the law of economics. Raise your prices significantly and you'll be doing less work for more money.

You're worth way more than you're currently charging. By raising your sitting fees and your prints, you may have LESS clients (at first) but when you do have a client, they will actually have an appreciation for the value of your talent (which you have in spades) and not just the fact that you are cheap.

And, conversely, your low prices are probably discouraging more affluent clients already. There's a perception working against you here...if you're that cheap, you must not be any good. Silly, but luxury items (like on location artistic photography) are extremely price sensitive this way. No one would want a Mercedes Benz if they cost the same as a Chevy...regardless of the quality difference.

I desperately wish I hadn't been so afraid to charge what I was worth from the beginning. I was too afraid I would lose clients. Before long, I had so many clients I didn't have time to take them all, yet I wasn't making any money (spending a ton of it on equipment and software though for sure!), and I never saw my (2 year old) son. Things are more profitable/manageable now, but as I've become more competitive, I'm having trouble explaining/shaking the "cheap photographer" reputation. The broke clients that gave me good word of mouth are sending me....more broke clients. It's the harsh reality.

A photographer I assisted once gave me a great gem I didn't appreciate at the time. He told me the only way to survive (90% of photography businesses fail, BTW) is to price photography as if your livelihood depended on it, not just what you need to make a few extra bucks on the weekend. At the time I thought he was overpriced, but I've come to understand through my own struggles he was 100% right. And he has supported his family with portrait photography going on 20 years.

I hope you find this helpful....you are EXTREMELY talented and I hope you find a happy medium. Good luck! thumb.gif

Thanks for that advice! Keep in mind that 6 weeks ago I'd never photographed anyone other than my own son. On Oct 1 I will be raising my prices (it says this on the price sheet I hand out). They will go up at least 50%. Maybe I will put them up more & then offer some specials for awhile. I need to think on this! I need the confidence that I'm good enough to charge "real" prices before I do...some of my images certainly are not up to par yet. I'm definitely still portfolio-building.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I'm applauding to you Jan! You're taking everything in consideration, your family and your business. Ohhh, how i wish i could just quit my job and just do what i love to do. I don't even have a business, all i do is practising on my little neice and my son here and there. I have nothing going for me, but i am thinking about doing something more serious. I'm totally cluless about pricess, i have no idea who charges for what and how much Laughing.gif. I agree that word of mouth is a best advertizing you can get.
    You know, as a teacher, you have a great possibility to advertise yoursefl as photographer, you have every chance in the world to get those kids and their parents to "pose" for you!!!
    I know how tough it is with a 3 year old. Ohhh they grow up so fast, and we try to cherish every little moment with them. At this point, just spend all the time that you can possibly spend with the little one, i'm sure everything will work out for you.
    I've seen your shots, you're doing wonderful job, and i'm sure some day you will be confident enough in what you can do for someone else. Wish you best of luck!!! I need to start thinking myself, i have time, but nothing else Laughing.gif. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8