Options

The Cure for Lens Lust

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited February 14, 2005 in The Big Picture
Hi You'll,

My DW, Linda, and I went to a car dealership today. We have been making do with one car since July and we really need 2 cars. We picked out a model and we were haggling over the price with the dealer. Then it hit me. For the $ we were spending on the car I could get the D2x. the 500mm/f4 lens, the 200-400VR/2.8 and a bunch of other cool lenses and stuff.

I said to Linda "you know the doctor wants you to get more exercise, instead of getting a car why don't we get you a a really nice bicycle". Linda was pretty cool about it. She thought about and said to me very calmly "I have two words for you". I asked her what they might be. She said "Lorena Bobbitt".

Linda now has a new car.

Harry
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    :D

That's funny. I told my fiance it and she laughed too.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    i think linda went to the same class as my nancy. what is it with wives, anyhow? what's their problem? sheesh, you'd have thought you asked her to cook, clean, do the laundry, take the kid to school, buy groceries :eat crimony i just don't see what the problem is ... headscratch.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

15524667-Ti.gif
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    You know it's posts like this one
    that make me VERY happy that my wife has no clue that places like dgrin even exist :D

She does'nt need any help coming up with ways to make me *pay* (more than I already am...) for my *habit*.

Nice one Harry, nice one thumb.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    ...I said to Linda "you know the doctor wants you to get more exercise, instead of getting a car why don't we get you a a really nice bicycle".
    thumb.gif Always a good idea. More people need to ride bikes - and more often.

Harryb wrote:
    ... Linda was pretty cool about it. She thought about and said to me very calmly "I have two words for you". I asked her what they might be. She said "Lorena Bobbitt".

Linda now has a new car.

We will see a picture of this new car soon, will we not?

Now, here is an idea: Harry, YOU could get a bicycle (please buy it at a real bicycle store) and sell what you're currently driving so you could again save up for those much needed future camera goodies.

I could even suggest ways of carrying camera equipment on it for your photo outings. Just trying to help out.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

Now, here is an idea: Harry, YOU could get a bicycle ...

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif etc., etc.
    Yeah, I know. I really went out on a limb with that suggestion. Waiting for Harry to humiliate me now. At which point, I'll be editing a photo of Harry's head onto a famous T.D.F. cyclist's body to post.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    So...I used to buy a lot of motorcycles. Expensive motorcycles - BMWs and Triumphs. I've had six new ones since '97. Every single one of them cost me 2x MSRP. Why? Because I had to buy the equivalent amount of furniture, jewelry, or home improvements that I spent on motorcycles.

Now that I'm into cameras, it's costing me a LOT less money. clap.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    My wife Amy says, "Linda sounds like a pretty smart cookie." The way I manage to get my toys is that I pay off something for HER then I can justify a small toy for me. I'll send Sears a check with a comma in it to pay off our holiday expenses, and in return for the one lump payment I will reward myself with the 100/2.8. :D Right dear? :uhoh
  • Options
    BertBert Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    fish wrote:
    So...I used to buy a lot of motorcycles. Expensive motorcycles - BMWs and Triumphs. I've had six new ones since '97. Every single one of them cost me 2x MSRP. Why? Because I had to buy the equivalent amount of furniture, jewelry, or home improvements that I spent on motorcycles.

Now that I'm into cameras, it's costing me a LOT less money. clap.gif
    Unfortunately I'm still into both, and I'm addicted to the good - read expensive - stuff. Since 97 only three bikes (2 BMW's & 1 Harley). To be fair only one at a time, and I only bought the first BMW because the Harley got stolen.

But now I've got four cameras; three Canons & one Leica. When I take a shitty picture it's never the equipment. On the bright side I do keep the cameras longer, I've never thrown one away. Oops, make that six cameras, I forgot about the old Voigtlander Bessamatic SLR and the Polaroid gathering dust.

It helps a lot to be single. It would help more to hit the Lotto.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    When I was single I had much more camera gear, but I dressed really funny. Fair trade. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Andy
    andy wrote:
    i think linda went to the same class as my nancy. what is it with wives, anyhow? what's their problem? sheesh, you'd have thought you asked her to cook, clean, do the laundry, take the kid to school, buy groceries :eat crimony i just don't see what the problem is ... headscratch.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

I completely agree. My solution was environmentaly sound and healthy too. ne_nau.gif

Us men just aren't appreciated.

Harry
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    thumb.gif Always a good idea. More people need to ride bikes - and more often.

We will see a picture of this new car soon, will we not?

Now, here is an idea: Harry, YOU could get a bicycle (please buy it at a real bicycle store) and sell what you're currently driving so you could again save up for those much needed future camera goodies.

I could even suggest ways of carrying camera equipment on it for your photo outings. Just trying to help out.

David, David what can I say. You haven't looked at my profile have you? I've considered your proposal and all I can say is

FLIPA.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    David, David what can I say. You haven't looked at my profile have you? I've considered your proposal and all I can say is

FLIPA.gif
    I am hurt, Harry. :cry Amused, but hurt. But I can accept your smilie answer since "giving me the bird" is also from the man who takes great pictures of birds.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I am hurt, Harry. :cry Amused, but hurt. But I can accept your smilie answer since "giving me the bird" is also from the man who takes great pictures of birds.

lol3.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    David,

I sincerely apologize for my earlier response. My system overloaded and I went into a state of shock at the thought of doing something that could cause me to "perspire". The very idea just goes against my life style and basic principles (or lack of the same).

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi You'll,

My DW, Linda, and I went to a car dealership today. We have been making do with one car since July and we really need 2 cars. We picked out a model and we were haggling over the price with the dealer. Then it hit me. For the $ we were spending on the car I could get the D2x. the 500mm/f4 lens, the 200-400VR/2.8 and a bunch of other cool lenses and stuff.

I said to Linda "you know the doctor wants you to get more exercise, instead of getting a car why don't we get you a a really nice bicycle". Linda was pretty cool about it. She thought about and said to me very calmly "I have two words for you". I asked her what they might be. She said "Lorena Bobbitt".

Linda now has a new car.

Harry
    Hey Harry,
    So does that mean you got the other car? I hope that was part of the deal. I need to say here that "wives" are not the only source of angst abouit the "habit"! My husband seriously limits my ability to upgrade...he can't believe I would want a new camera upgrade and I have only had my camera for a year...eek7.gifheadscratch.gifumph.gif

Seriously harry..the perfect solution for the wetlands would be a golf cart to tool around the WL...and dont think I haven't noticed the new golf course that is now under construction only a mile away from our favorite shooting place.