Announcing SmugMugExport, an iPhoto plugin

aaroneaarone Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
I'd like to announce the release of a beta version of an iPhoto export plugin I've written that will export photos to smugmug. I'd be interested to find out about any bugs that you may find. It should work on PPC and Intel Macs with the most recent version of iPhoto.

You can download the plugin here

The code is available via a BSD license. Feel free to do what you'd like with it as long as your give me credit.

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 30, 2007
    Congrats...this plugin looks great thumb.gif

Can you please PM me an email address where I can contact you.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Bravo!!!!!!!
    edited June 2, 2007
    So far I did 3 big uploads, works like a charm thumb.gif
  • aaroneaarone Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So far I did 3 big uploads, works like a charm thumb.gif

that's great to hear. I released a new version (beta 3) that fixes some small bugs and uses the JSON api instead of the REST api.
    edited June 3, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    that's great to hear. I released a new version (beta 3) that fixes some small bugs and uses the JSON api instead of the REST api.
    Sounds like Dev's been talking to you :) Awesome...
  • GarethLewinGarethLewin Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    aarone wrote:

May I ask why you moved from REST to JSON?
    edited June 5, 2007
    May I ask why you moved from REST to JSON?
    I guess the first thing to say is that the APIs are not different at all and that the only difference in is the response format. The only thing that changes moving from REST to JSON is whether I'm parsing XML responses or JSON responses. JSON responses have the benefit of being able to be turned directly into objects (ie dictionaries) by a third-party library and used without writing XML parsing code. This makes my code more concise and easier to fix as any APIs change.
    edited June 6, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    I guess the first thing to say is that the APIs are not different at all and that the only difference in is the response format. The only thing that changes moving from REST to JSON is whether I'm parsing XML responses or JSON responses. JSON responses have the benefit of being able to be turned directly into objects (ie dictionaries) by a third-party library and used without writing XML parsing code. This makes my code more concise and easier to fix as any APIs change.

Thanks, what is what I was hoping the reason was. I have been using REST because it is very easy to use the XML in a C# application, and just wanted to make sure there wasn't some deficiency in REST.

Thanks again.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 6, 2007
    Thanks, what is what I was hoping the reason was. I have been using REST because it is very easy to use the XML in a C# application, and just wanted to make sure there wasn't some deficiency in REST.

Thanks again.

Gareth,

That being said, JSON responses are lighter than REST responses. If you are interested, json.org has some C# JSON parsers.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited June 7, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Gareth,

That being said, JSON responses are lighter than REST responses. If you are interested, json.org has some C# JSON parsers.

Cheers,

David

The REST responses aren't that heavy (they are not XML-RPC), and unless they put a lot of strain on your side of stuff, I would rather stick with REST.

The beauty with C# and REST is that it took me about 2 hours of learning C# and XML serialisation stuff, and then another 1 hour to setup all the classes and it all now "just works".
    edited June 10, 2007
    I've just released <a href="http://aarone.org/smugmugexport">beta 4 of SmugMugExport</a>. Improvements include:
    • added preferences panel
    • added a preference to scale images during upload (JPEGs only)
    • added a preference for opening gallery in browser upon upload completion
    • moved preferences to their own application domain
    edited June 15, 2007
    Changes to the JSON api broke SmugMugExport. I released a fix this morning available on the product page.
    edited July 14, 2007
    I just released beta 6 of SmugMugExport. It is now packaged with an installer to simplify installation. Barring any significant bugs or feature requests, this will probably be the last beta release of SmugMugExport.
    edited August 5, 2007
    I released version 1.0 of SmugMugExport today. It fixes all outstanding bugs I know of and should be pretty solid.
    edited August 5, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    I released version 1.0 of SmugMugExport today. It fixes all outstanding bugs I know of and should be pretty solid.
    Very cool.

Love the app, thanks for making it.

Hey, the input box for the nickname on login has no cursor. Can you fix that?
    edited August 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Love the app, thanks for making it.
    Thanks for the kind words. It's been my pleasure creating the plugin.
    Andy wrote:
    Hey, the input box for the nickname on login has no cursor. Can you fix that?
    fixed! check out version 1.0.1 which contains this change. It's odd that I didn't get that for free.
    edited August 12, 2007
    iPhoto 7 (iLife '08) broke SmugMugExport. SmugMugExport 1.0.2 provides iPhoto 7 compatibility and preserves iPhoto 6 compatibility. Let's hope this is my last release for a while.
  • scoodogscoodog Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Hi Aaron, thank you very much for the plug-in. Very nice. Anyway the create gallery window could include the "sub-category" dropdown? Just wonderin'. It would be helpful.

Thx!
    aarone wrote:
    iPhoto 7 (iLife '08) broke SmugMugExport. SmugMugExport 1.0.2 provides iPhoto 7 compatibility and preserves iPhoto 6 compatibility. Let's hope this is my last release for a while.
    edited August 17, 2007
    scoodog wrote:
    Anyway the create gallery window could include the "sub-category" dropdown? Just wonderin'.
    i'll add subcategory selection in the next minor release of SME. Thanks for using it and glad you enjoy it!
  • scoodogscoodog Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Thanks Aaron!
    aarone wrote:
    i'll add subcategory selection in the next minor release of SME. Thanks for using it and glad you enjoy it!
  • kokomosamkokomosam Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2007
    Hello all,

I found this great thread, but have been unable to download the application. http://aarone.org/smugmugexport

Seems to be down. Anyone else having problems?

Sam
    edited October 3, 2007
    kokomosam wrote:
    Hello all,

I found this great thread, but have been unable to download the application. http://aarone.org/smugmugexport

Seems to be down. Anyone else having problems?

Sam

Site is back up now and I was able to download the plugin, so far it looks great! Thanks. wings.gifbow

There is one thing that I did notice that doesn't work just like I thought. Mainly due to my mis-understanding, I am sure, but still... The exporter doesn't seem to export keywords or captions from iphoto to smugug. Is that correct? If it is correct is uploading captoins and keywords ented into iPhoto something that could be added?

Thanks again.

Sam
    edited October 3, 2007
    kokomosam wrote:
    Site is back up now and I was able to download the plugin, so far it looks great
    Sorry, my webhost's server was down earlier. It's usually pretty reliable.
    kokomosam wrote:
    There is one thing that I did notice that doesn't work just like I thought. Mainly due to my mis-understanding, I am sure, but still... The exporter doesn't seem to export keywords or captions from iphoto to smugug. Is that correct? If it is correct is uploading captoins and keywords ented into iPhoto something that could be added?
    I'll look into this. I think i've fixed this bug but have yet to release the fix. My next release will fix this issue.
    edited October 7, 2007
    I just released SmugMugExport 1.0.3 which adds support for creating albums with subcategories, fixes a few bugs, and includes other under the hood improvements.
    edited October 7, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    I just released SmugMugExport 1.0.3 which adds support for creating albums with subcategories, fixes a few bugs, and includes other under the hood improvements.
    clap.gif
    edited October 16, 2007
    aarone wrote:

Thanks!

I downloaded the new version and it is working great! It is uplaoding keywords and switching between accounts is much easier now.

:Dclap.gifbow

Thanks again for making such a great tool.

Sam
    edited November 1, 2007
    aarone wrote:

Thanks again, for providing such a great tool. I love it and use it often. However, with this current release, I am getting lots of incomplete uploads. I start to upload my pictures, but the "hang" at some point and never seem to recover.

Is there someplace I should look to troubleshoot? Should I send you any logs?

Thanks

Sam
    edited November 6, 2007
    kokomosam wrote:
    However, with this current release, I am getting lots of incomplete uploads. I start to upload my pictures, but the "hang" at some point and never seem to recover.

Is there someplace I should look to troubleshoot? Should I send you any logs?

Man, that really stinks and I'd love to figure out what's going on. I can help you diagnose the problem. Send me an email and we'll go from there (aaron (at) aarone (dot) org)

thanks,
    -ae
    edited November 28, 2007
    aarone wrote:
    Man, that really stinks and I'd love to figure out what's going on. I can help you diagnose the problem. Send me an email and we'll go from there (aaron (at) aarone (dot) org)

thanks,
    -ae

Aaron,

Thanks for the help. It looks like I can confirm that the problems I was related to my wireless connection. Connected via ethernet I am unable to reproduce the problems. What threw me off at first was that my wireless problems don't seem to impact my general web surfing. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again for all your help! bowdown.gif

Sam
    edited December 4, 2007
    I'm almost ready to release a new version of SmugMugExport but I do not have any machines running Tiger to test the app. Any Tiger users care to try out the new version and let me know if it works properly?

SmugMugExport-1.0.4.beta-1.zip

Major features of the next release include:
    * software update included in the plugin
    * better keyword support
    * ability to send iPhoto image titles to SmugMug
    * various other bug fixes

thanks!
    -ae