Options

Lens or IPod ???

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 15, 2005 in Accessories
I have just a bit of money left, and I don't know how much that bit is, but I know it is 300 and perhaps could be stretched to 500.

I have wanted an IPod forever. However, I wear power hearing aids in both ears, so I would have to have speakers. I would get the 20 gb IPod, then go for some small speakers. I download a lot of music from iTunes and even Napster.
I have had this dream that an iPod would be easier to use than CDs, etc. I love music...........darn that hearing god, but I still listen. It is even easier with iTunes now as I can get old music that I hear well, or just music.

So, who has iPods, and how do you like them? How do you rate them compared to another L lens.

I have the Canon 300 Prime, and I just now picked up at the post office the Canon 17-40. I know Lynn is using something like 28-70 Sigma that she really likes. I have been using the 28-135 cheap, non glass lens. It has been my favorite of all those lenses, non glass.

I am so in love with this glass stuff, and if you don't have it, don't stress, this is just me, PM me, you can do fine without it. I won two challenges with no glass. But now....... well, I like this stuff.

So is there a lens in my price range, up to 550 at the most, that would fill my gap and is good glass? Remember my glass goes to 40, then doesn't pick up again til 300. So I just need a walk around. I do not like the 50 mm, I prefer a zoom.

Does anyone, or everyone, have a suggestion on the lens.

And does anyone have an opinion on iPod vs L lens. Or are you all laughing too hard.

I will say that no one has steered me wrong so far. Well, maybe they have, but I listen to all, each lens has been recommended by someone, and I am happy they have.

Not to put pressure or anything. I have to order this stuff by tomorrow, or I should say, I am going to put an order in tomorrow. I have to get UV lens filters, a 1.4 extender, a wolverine storage thing. I know that you are people who would understand why I have to have this stuff!

ginger

Who doesn't have to buy her husband anything while feeding her addiction. I just go without, myself. I may soon be walking to take photographs if MY car goes.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have just a bit of money left, and I don't know how much that bit is, but I know it is 300 and perhaps could be stretched to 500.

I have wanted an IPod forever. However, I wear power hearing aids in both ears, so I would have to have speakers. I would get the 20 gb IPod, then go for some small speakers. I download a lot of music from iTunes and even Napster.
    I have had this dream that an iPod would be easier to use than CDs, etc. I love music...........darn that hearing god, but I still listen. It is even easier with iTunes now as I can get old music that I hear well, or just music.

So, who has iPods, and how do you like them? How do you rate them compared to another L lens.

I have the Canon 300 Prime, and I just now picked up at the post office the Canon 17-40. I know Lynn is using something like 28-70 Sigma that she really likes. I have been using the 28-135 cheap, non glass lens. It has been my favorite of all those lenses, non glass.

I am so in love with this glass stuff, and if you don't have it, don't stress, this is just me, PM me, you can do fine without it. I won two challenges with no glass. But now....... well, I like this stuff.

So is there a lens in my price range, up to 550 at the most, that would fill my gap and is good glass? Remember my glass goes to 40, then doesn't pick up again til 300. So I just need a walk around. I do not like the 50 mm, I prefer a zoom.

And does anyone have an opinion on iPod vs L lens. Or are you all laughing too hard.

I will say that no one has steered me wrong so far. Well, maybe they have, but I listen to all, each lens has been recommended by someone, and I am happy they have.

Not to put pressure or anything. I have to order this stuff by tomorrow, or I should say, I am going to put an order in tomorrow. I have to get UV lens filters, a 1.4 extender, a wolverine storage thing. I know that you are people who would understand why I have to have this stuff!

ginger

Who doesn't have to buy her husband anything while feeding her addiction. I just go without, myself. I may soon be walking to take photographs if MY car goes.

Ginger, you say your lenses go from 40 to 300. In the price range you suggested I would suggest you consider the TAMRON 28-75 F2.8 Di It is less than $500 frim B&H. I think you will find it a nice step up in quality from the kit lens that comes with the Rebel. It is a very handy zoom range for people and architecture. It is very sharp and clear - the only lens I think might be better is the Canon 24-70 F2.8 L , but it costs substantially more than the Tamron and is three times tghe size and weight.
    A good 70-200 zoom is nice to have also, but not near as useful as the Tamron 28-75 Di wil be for your type of photography which tends to people and scenics rather than sporting events and races etc. Just my two cents worth.

I see you did buy the 300 from MacZippy. Good lens, good choice.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    ginger

don't buy any more L lenses yet (L-glass, not just "glass" all your lenses are glass, i hope lol3.gif )... work with what you've got for a while, and see if you are feeling like you are missing out on something. and don't discount that 28-135 ef i.s. lens, i used it a lot and got some great shots with it.

ipod? i love my ipod, everyone in my family has one, too. don't forget the mini, holds 5000 songs and is small and easy to carry.

ginger_55 wrote:

ginger

• Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Thanks, Pathfinder who recommended the 300 and Andy, who recommended the 17-40.

You all done good so far. My but that L glass does feel good. And it is nice to know that the other lenses are glass, too. I was a little confused on that.
    Of course, you all probably know I don't know what L stands for, but that is OK, as it is not a requirement in general conversation.

It is good to know that you did/do respect that 28-135, Andy.

I am going to look at that iPod more................I expected to buy one this Feb, then somehow I got distracted.

Thanks so much,

ginger
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2005
    Ginger - you have good glass now, and it sounds like you already have formed a bit of an L glass bug. In which case, the only one that makes sense, since you now have a gap from 40 to 300 (a pretty big gap!) is the same lens that Lynn just got 70-200 f/4 L. I think that is about the only useful lens in your price range of $500.

But my vote, get an iPod. You bought tons of photo stuff, mix it up a bit. At least I like to do that. I LOVE mine, it's changed my life lol3.gif.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    I don't think anybody should be laughing about your question, since you can only spend your money once, so everything in this world is about balancing your options.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I don't have L glass. But I do have a 3G 30 GB iPod, and if it would be stolen, I'd be in the store the minute they'd open to get the first available iPod, even if that meant I would have to delay my plans to get new photo gear since that still works for me. So if you don't feel limited in your possibilities with your current gear, I'd get the iPod. If you're the fan of music that your post seems to indicate, you'll love it as much as L glass, and maybe more. :D
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    put me down for getting an iPod too. I have a 15GB one and love it.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    I vote used Tamron 28-75 for under $300 and an iPod Mini. I've seen the tamron got for $275 used a few times. Also, you can look into a used iPod.

I shop for all my used stuff on a website called craigslist. It was founded in San Francisco, but has spread across the country. http://www.craigslist.org/

I believe your in Charlotte? http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ They have a couple listed.

That will solve all your problems :D

Dave
  • Options
    KbikeKbike Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Ginger,
    I just recently bought an ipod, love it, and have a media reader on order for loading pictures from memory cards when traveling. I also have an Archos Multimedia player, 20G, that I've used for several years for pictures & MP3's. I don't carry a laptop so these small players work great for storing photos, plus you get to listen to music.
    Will over the ear headphones work with your hearing aids?
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    I had the same problem so I opted for this 512mb MP3 player from Sandisk for $88.00 with GREAT reviews and now I still have several hundred left over to put into a new lens..................:D

http://www.epinions.com/pr-SanDisk_SDMX1512A18_512_MB_MP3_Player

55-125-003-04.JPG
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    iPod, definitely.

The joy you have listening to music will be greatly increased by the ease and portability of the iPod. You'll start listening to music in different ways. Right now I'm going through my 5000 song library (16 days of continuous listening) in alphabetical order. It's fun. Just got through all the "baby" songs, (you know, Baby Workout, Babe, I'm Leaving, etc.) Now on "Backdoor Man" by Howlin' Wolf.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ipod? i love my ipod, everyone in my family has one, too. don't forget the mini, holds 5000 songs and is small and easy to carry.
    Actually, the mini is 5 GB and holds up to 1,000 songs. The iPod 20GB holds up to 5,000 songs.

Definately go for the iPod. I have a 4th generation 20gb and I adore it. So easy to use, and I love how it organizes music. Everything is nice and organized...easy to find any song. If you download a lot of songs and have a lot of CD's, definately get a 20gb version.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I just now picked up at the post office the Canon 17-40.
    Glad to hear it got there safe and sound. Have you taken any pics yet?

I'd go for the ipod. If you didn't really want one, you wouldn't have posted about it.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Actually, the mini is 5 GB

Actually, it's 4 GB (man it's getting worse and worse, ain't it?)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    Whatever it is, I ordered the mini. And speakers. There was a special if you ordered the silver mini and the speakers at the same time.

I had to call Amazon to get them to honor it. Long story. They took the $30.00 off of the two, then I used the last Challenge winners coupon, so I got the mini and the speakers for 306.00.

Everything, or at least the 20 gb, was cheaper last week, but I waited. I would hate myself if I hadn't found that special that was really a misrepresentation. They wanted to tie it to qualifying for the credit card, but that was not what it said where the special was "announced". I finally asked to talk to a supervisor.

ginger (no more money for awhile)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 13, 2005
    I was going to say get the iPod.

I never thought it'd be a useful thing. I tried mini-disc and mp3 players and
    they just gather dust. None of them hold a candle to an iPod. Plug it into the
    Autocom and I'm good for riding all day. At work, I can listen to my hearts
    content. At home, it gets plugged into the stereo.

I'm a shuffle mode guy. Meaning I've ripped some of my music collection in
    its entirety to the iPod. So stuff I would never listen to otherwise makes it
    into to the rotation. I can go from Rochmaninov to the Blue Stingrays to
    Elvis to Arthur Lyman and back to Audioslave.

Ginger, you'll enjoy the iPod.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Neckloop with i-pod?
    Ginger, I wonder if this http://www.soundbytes.com/NKL005.html wouldn't work with the i-pod to make it as portable as they are for people with good hearing? Does the i-pod have a 3.5mm output jack? You do need a tel-mike switch on your hearing aid. I have found one a real help with the hearing assistance system at my church and then tried it with other brands that I encountered elsewhere.
    I am deaf in one ear and have a profound loss in the other. So . . . had not really checked out the i-pod. But, your posting led me to quit lurking and register!
    One of these times I will finally get the budget to streach to a Canon dslr (Canon because I have left-overs from film days) and move up from the Sony D-770 that I purchased in 2000.
    Jane
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Get the Photo iPod so you can put the pictures on it that you shot with your soon-to-get lens! :D
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Get the Photo iPod so you can put the pictures on it that you shot with your soon-to-get lens! :D
    I doubt ginger wouldn't be happy with the size or resolution of images displayed on the ipod photo. Too expensive, imho. The 40gb ipod is the sweetspot with a good mix of size, capacity, and accessories for the money.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Ginger,

Ipod definitely. Got mine before Christmas and took it on my trip to Houston. Bought the media reader as well so I have tunes and space to store photos. The Ipod Photo can't be used to preview photos, you have to use iPhoto or Elements, so for most of us on Dgrin, the iPod Photo wouldn't be of much use since a lot of us shoot raw.
    No mattter which size you get, they are marvelous little devices.

Enjoythumb.gif

Brad