edited March 12, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
need some comments on this one.....
24517822.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    Great shot, what f stop ?

now for the questions...would the sun have been sharper with a higher f stop ?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    clap.gif Wow, look at those colors! That's beautiful, chaperon. There's not much I don't like except maybe that dark cloud at the top. Nice work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif There's not much I don't like except maybe that dark cloud at the top. Nice work.
    Thats wax speak for...."im gonna crop that out"
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif I thought about it! But I shot a ton tonight, I gotta go through some before I hit the sack.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I thought about it! But I shot a ton tonight, I gotta go through some before I hit the sack.
    How about?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    nod.gif Sweet!
    Sid.
  • Options
    JamieJamie Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    Gorgeous! I like how Charles cropped it. This is screaming to be printed on metallic paper! The colors would be beautiful!
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    How about?

Is it ok to poste another pict. not taken by the thread starter???
    If not sorry , but let me know ,,, i'm a nooby...here

Very nice.... I took this one in the Czech rep. .. if you turn it around 180° it looks like taken from space ,,I think.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2004
    No problem, post away, the thread 's not been active in a while, so it's not a hijack.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    No problem, post away, the thread 's not been active in a while, so it's not a hijack.
    --Good to know, thanx! thumb.gif

Another Sunset at Joshua Tree
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2004
    After taking this pict.. it got really cold.... riding home wasn't fun, but I think sunsets and rises are a colorfull theme..
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2004
    Beautiful sunset!

These pictures raise an issue that has bedeviled me for years -- landscapes at dawn/dusk push the envelope of dynamic range. In these pictures, the sky is beautiful, but the terrestrial scenery is gone. Perhaps that is a good thing in these cases, but perhaps not. Especially when the sun is actually in the picture, I don't know what to do. Would film be better for this?

I have made a lot of stitched panoramas that exhibit this problem here. In particular look at:

2788377-O.jpg

It's interesting to compare to another dawn picture, this time with the sun behind the camera:

2788376-O.jpg

on another day, I took these two within seconds of each other and traded off sky for ground by bracketing the exposure:

2788367-O.jpg

2788369-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2004
    If you want to shoot a sunset and still be able to make out features on the land... you might try the Digital Blending described in this thread. You'll need two shots, though - one exposed for the sky, and one exposed for the ground.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    If you want to shoot a sunset and still be able to make out features on the land... you might try the Digital Blending described in this thread. You'll need two shots, though - one exposed for the sky, and one exposed for the ground.
    Are you up to speed on this process yet waxy ?
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2004
    More or less. I've used it a few times. Seems to work pretty well. The key, I think, is for the two shots to be properly exposed in each of the two highly contrasted areas.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2004
    hi rutt

I like the first one the best.... the sun always makes pictures more alive...
    I guess its that dark/bright contrast that gets me...
    Seeing the sun how it throws her last rays over the horizon reminded me of thisone... unfortunately the ray of light got lost during the scanning procces and resizing ......
    Then I like the clear sky pearing through the clouds... again the contrasts of light...