Options

Opinons Please.

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited March 12, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have 2 shots I would like opinions of, if you have time.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 19, 2004
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2004
    Just my opinion... the first one has potential. I like red, a plus for me. The light is good on one side, and creates a contrast, so that's good. Not sure the composition says anything, though. The second one has poor light, and would benefit from different framing. But mostly, I'm not sure why the photo was taken - what was it that was attractive? If the photo can convey what you found interesting, it might work better. No offense, and most definitely just my humble opinion.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I have 2 shots I would like opinions of, if you have time.
    I like that first one. What is it?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    I like the first one. The second? I'm with Waxie.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    What wxwax and knary said.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 20, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    What wxwax and knary said.
    Shooting good colored graphics looks so easy - just watch Jay Maisel and click snap you're done - but in reality for us mortals - it can be challenging. I also like the red, but am bothered by the slightly diiferent tone toward the bottom of the image. But it does have potential I think.

As to the eagle, I have a thing for gargoyles myself Laughing.gif so I like the picture of the doorsill. Pictures of the details of buildings can be very entertraining and intriguing - which contains the beginnings of a good picture.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2004
    OK,

The first one is a shot of a small section of a local building. The building is very modern art looking. I thought the bright red and the port hole type windows (the building is on the river) made for an interesting shot if all else could be cropped from the image. I thought is was pretty cool , almost abstract. People who live here have even asked me what it is and it is 5 stories tall and in our downtown area.

I like the second one because I think it looks 3 dimensional, I think the white stone of the statue offset against the very red brick was attractive. I thought the light was such that the detail of the eagle was well shown. I love these old details they use to put into building decades ago. Fancy brickwork, detailed edging and gargoyles and things like that. I work construction and I can tell you, no one can afford this stuff anymore and almost every building had it years ago. The craftsman of today dont even know how to do some of this stuff. A lost art in a world where concrete block boxes are the norm. Next time you are driving through a crappy old part of your city look up and see the work that went into those run down buildings.

They were majestic once.

I like that stuff.

But not every one has too.
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    A lost art in a world where concrete block boxes are the norm. Next time you are driving through a crappy old part of your city look up and see the work that went into those run down buildings.

They were majestic once.

I like that stuff.

But not every one has too.

But I do... !! I went through town (Berlin) and they have simular/even better?? whatchamacallit... ....things like that eagle... hmmmm. can't think of it...

I have to devellop the film yet... so no picts attached...

But concerning the 1st one... I like it , great colour...

Mine is a bit lame, compared to yours.. .. but its also next to a river.. funny.