Options

prime lenses

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited February 15, 2005 in Accessories
How come some of you blokes are sooo freaked out with wanting super sharp photos yet so many of you use zooms ? :1drink

Are certain zooms as good or the benefit of zoom outweights the small loss of quality ?

Im talking about the 135 f/2 btw....do photogs see this as an odd size ? I dont see it in use a lot around the place.

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    For some of the prices we pay, we want (an expect) it all! :D
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    How come some of you blokes are sooo freaked out with wanting super sharp photos yet so many of you use zooms ? 1drink.gif
    Flexibility.
    Are certain zooms as good or the benefit of zoom outweights the small loss of quality ?
    Yes.
    Im talking about the 135 f/2 btw....do photogs see this as an odd size ? I dont see it in use a lot around the place.
    (1) That's a 216mm on a 1.6 crop camera. What are you going to shoot with it? That's a great portrait lens on a FF or 35mm camera, but kinda long for 1.6x. JMHO.

(2) That's a $900 lens. For $700 more, I can get an f2.8 with IS that runs from 70mm to 200mm, running right over that 135 signpost.

:pimp
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Flexibility.

Yes.

(1) That's a 216mm on a 1.6 crop camera. What are you going to shoot with it? That's a great portrait lens on a FF or 35mm camera, but kinda long for 1.6x. JMHO.

(2) That's a $900 lens. For $700 more, I can get an f2.8 with IS that runs from 70mm to 200mm, passing right through that 135 signpost.

yes, some zooms are darn near as good as primes. take canon's 70-200 f/2.8L i.s. - damn sharp, across the focal range.

agree with fish on the 135 f/2 - you'd be much better served with the 70-200L f/2.8 i.s. combinign that with the high iso stellar performance of the 20d that you'll be buying, an you've got a winning combination.

next week: we'll talk about canon's 16-35L and 17-40L on the wide side, and canon's 24-70L for general use. deal.gif

but 'gus, mate: you have to fish or cut bait, eh? all this yimmer yammering is makin' yer dragon do funny things:

15651390-L.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    That's it, the starter L lens kit.

16-35 2.8
    24-70 2.8
    70-200 2.8

Fast, covers the basic range, and high quality. Get the 135 2 if you need the extra speed. Ditto the 35 1.4 and the 50 1.4. But you should identify a need before forking over the dough.

Zooms are awfully convenient. Lazy people don't have to work as hard at composing the shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Flexibility.

Yes.

(2) That's a $900 lens. For $700 more, I can get an f2.8 with IS that runs from 70mm to 200mm, running right over that 135 signpost.

Its (70-200) just soooo flamin conspik...conspicol...bloody big & white !!!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes, some zooms are darn near as good as primes. take canon's 70-200 f/2.8L i.s. - damn sharp, across the focal range.

agree with fish on the 135 f/2 - you'd be much better served with the 70-200L f/2.8 i.s. combinign that with the high iso stellar performance of the 20d that you'll be buying, an you've got a winning combination.

next week: we'll talk about canon's 16-35L and 17-40L on the wide side, and canon's 24-70L for general use. deal.gif

but 'gus, mate: you have to fish or cut bait, eh? all this yimmer yammering is makin' yer dragon do funny things:

15651390-L.gif
    Im in no hurry mate. I just make damned sure of what im buyin' does what i expect it to do before i get the ready out. We were so poor when we were kids we had to paint our shoes on.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Jokes aside andy....could you hand hold a 70-200 F/2.8 IS with this type of night street shooting or would you really need a mono/tripod ?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5251&page=1&pp=10

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Jokes aside andy....could you hand hold a 70-200 F/2.8 IS with this type of night street shooting or would you really need a mono/tripod ?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5251&page=1&pp=10

of course you could.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    So? Are you more concerned about image quality or the fashion image?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    andy wrote:

Now that I'm really looking forward to!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I agree 'gus, and that is why I carrythe 70-300 IS DO at times - more inconspicuous, longer reach and lighter too.thumb.gif

As to preferring zooms to primes - most of us if we were honest would admit that we want both, but just can't swing the swag for both. And even then you might want a prime when you are wearing a zoom or vice versa. Photographers are never pleased fully I think.rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin