Options

CF card issues?

Steve PickfordSteve Pickford Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited February 15, 2005 in Accessories
Hi,

First time here, I've come over from Adventure Rider for a bit of advice & already recognise a few names here.

I use a Canon A60 PowerShot as it fit's my (limited) needs very well.

Problem I have is this:
Using a Card Reader/Writer, I downloaded images from my PC to a CF card with no problem, took the Reader/Writer to work & downloaded the images on to my work PC to appear as a screen saver Slide Show.

I've tried doing the same again but cannot get it to work now. I highlight the images, click right mouse & left click on COPY. I then highlight the file in the Directory marked "F" Drive, right click mouse & left click on PASTE. If there's a few images, a box pops up showing the transfer taking place. Once completed, I can see that the images are indeed in that file/drive.

The problem is that If I put the CF card back in to my camera, the NO IMAGE logo pops up? I did actually manage to get a few images to apear on the camera screen at one point but cannot work out what I did differently. The purpose of the exercise was to download some recent skiing images / short videos & show them to friends through the TV. I can show fresh images from the camera through the TV no problem?

One point: my Reader/Writer takes both CF & SM cards. In the directory two small grey boxes appear, one (G drive?) has SM in red superimposed on it, the other (F drive?) USED to have CF superimposed on it but no longer does - is this related to the problem?

I've uninstalled the Reader/Writer & will reinstall this evening.

All ideas & advice appreciated but keep it simple please.:thumb

Apologies for the long winded firsty post:D

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Howyagoin' steve...no idea about your question but if you know whats good for your visa/amex....run....just run & dont ever look back.

This is a place of further addiction owned by the bald one....i recon his sites are some sick theseus on human behavior.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Howyagoin' steve...no idea about your question but if you know whats good for your visa/amex....run....just run & dont ever look back.

This is a place of further addiction owned by the bald one....i recon his sites are some sick theseus on human behavior.
    Hi Mark,

Hope you're well?

I'm not one for gathering toys, especially expensive ones:D Saying that, I've bought a 30ltr GSA tank for my 1150 at a bargain price:D . Actually bought two & sold one, the profit from the sale paid for mine & left me £50 in my pocket.:):

Not seen you post on Adv.Rider recently - are you okay?

Regards

Steve
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Still hoping for a replyne_nau.gif

Further info:

I re-installed the Reader/Writer, wiped the CF card & transferred 4 images at random on to the card as described in the first post. Images viewed on the monitor as being on the CF card but camera still says NO IMAGE when I put that card in it.

Took R/W to the office & the PC there confirmed the images as being on the card but still unviewable via the camera?

ne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Could be a couple things.

1. File system the card was formated with - always use the camera to format the card to be safe when you want to wipe it clean. Formating the card on the PC with a different version of FAT or other file system will make the card unreadable.

2. The camera (Canon) always uses a special subdirectory structure for the images - putting them in the root directory of the card might not make them visible to the camera's OS. All my stuff is at home, but be memory, there is a main directory that starts with a "D" (DCIM or something like that) then another directory underneath that is something like 100Canon or similar - that is where the images go.

Easiest way to make sure all is well - format the card, take a picture and put the card in the reader - you will see where the one image is on the card - put the other images from the PC where that guy is and you are in business.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    philspace wrote:
    Could be a couple things.

1. File system the card was formated with - always use the camera to format the card to be safe when you want to wipe it clean. Formating the card on the PC with a different version of FAT or other file system will make the card unreadable.

2. The camera (Canon) always uses a special subdirectory structure for the images - putting them in the root directory of the card might not make them visible to the camera's OS. All my stuff is at home, but be memory, there is a main directory that starts with a "D" (DCIM or something like that) then another directory underneath that is something like 100Canon or similar - that is where the images go.

Easiest way to make sure all is well - format the card, take a picture and put the card in the reader - you will see where the one image is on the card - put the other images from the PC where that guy is and you are in business.
    Make sense.

1. I normally use the camera to wipe the card although during the last few days, I've transferred images in to the card file & then deleted them after highlighting them

2. I'm aware of the Canon directory. I'm aware of the DCIM & 100CANON files in the directory. I also see another file headed MISC - I think the 100CANON file is created when taking a fresh batch of photos?

Should I be fransferring the images on the PC to DCIM or MISC?

Appreciate the helpthumb.gif
  • Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Make sense.

1. I normally use the camera to wipe the card although during the last few days, I've transferred images in to the card file & then deleted them after highlighting them

2. I'm aware of the Canon directory. I'm aware of the DCIM & 100CANON files in the directory. I also see another file headed MISC - I think the 100CANON file is created when taking a fresh batch of photos?

Should I be fransferring the images on the PC to DCIM or MISC?

Appreciate the helpthumb.gif
    100CANON