Options

Pricing: $4.99 vs. $5.00

frodojrrfrodojrr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 11, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Does anyone have any comment or has anyone had more or less success with pricing at the traditional $4.99 vs. $5.00 pricing?

Comments

• Options
    PictureThis!PictureThis! Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    I don't do it, but I've read that pricing something ending in .99 makes a customer think they are getting a sale price.

Michelle Martin
    Control your destiny, or someone else will.
  • Options
    tuggnettuggnet Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    I'm no expert on marketing or pricing, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night! rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyway, the $4.99 pricing says you're in business. You're goal is to make money and by pricing that way you can advertise your widgets for less than $5!

When you price at an even dollar amount, that kinda says your maybe not so worried about your pricing. Perhaps you're pursuing this as a sideline business or hobby.

Back in the day, when I was in school (way back that is), I remember one of my profs saying something about .99 pricing has been used to keep retail clerks honest and studies have shown people buy more with this type of pricing.

Your mileage may vary!

Cheers
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I going to put it to the test
    Just finished putting my pro pricing in the system. I opted for even dollar amounts. I spent years as a retail manager, and never put much stock into the .99 pricing model. It seemed at the time to be more a matter of custom than of research. I never noticed much of change in sales when an item was priced in even amounts. Hell I feel insulted every time I see similar pricing strategies.

Just my 2 cents worth on the matter.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I had read there was some kind of study about it--never saw it myself & would be interested. I suspect the marketing people are convincing themselves the customers will buy more because they (wishfully--on the marketing peoples' part) round to $4. I don't know about anyone else, but it annoys me & I always round up to $5. The annoying part about it is I know they are playing games with me.
  • Options
    bendukibenduki Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I think it's dumb but conventional marketing wisdoms says using 4.99 has a positive on most people. So, dumb or not it works!

Kinsey
    www.kotybear.com
    http://kotybear.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bendukibenduki Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Laughing.gif! Chris!

I see it exactly the same way but use .95!

Kinsey
    www.kotybear.com
    http://kotybear.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I've noticed sales (non photography) are higher when it ends with a 7 (IE: $4.97 or $97) I would think this would be similar results with photos, but I haven't tested that.
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    My sales have been slow lately. I've got some stuff priced at $5.00. Maybe I should change the price to $5.99 and see if I sell more?:D
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    try 9.99... then you only have to sell half as much rolleyes1.gif