Options

Puerto Ayora (Galapagos Islands) - playing at photojournalism

lavidaporteñalavidaporteña Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 9, 2007 in Journeys
I'm a beginner at this photography game. I took a photojournalism class at college last year and when I was in the Galapagos Islands I had the opportunity to photograph an interesting altercation between the fishermen and the Galapagos National Park officials. Please, please give me criticism/feedback/compliments where due (I need a little ego boosting!). Also, these have not been fiddled with in any way because I'm not too great at adjusting color photos in photoshop yet....It was getting dark, and I didn't want to use my flash in the later pictures because of the touchy situation.

I was walking along the main street in Puerto Ayora, the largest town in the Galapagos Islands, on Santa Cruz Island, when I came upon these mangroves filled with pelicans and charming blue fishing boats.
DSC02864.jpg

There was a little dock with several boats tied up, and guys getting ready to go out. Also, a blue heron about one foot away from me, completely unconcerned about my presence. I'm amused that it seems to be looking at the guy's butt.

DSC02863.jpg

Up close with a pelican.

DSC02867.jpg
Sally lightfoot crab.
DSC02870.jpg

The fishing "fleet" seen from a nearby dock...all very peaceful.
DSC02873.jpg

So, I wandered around town and on my walk back to the hotel came upon the same scene, only not quite so charming and peaceful this time. The fishermen had returned, and there was quite a crowd gathered in the little covered dock/fish cleaning area.
DSC02883.jpg

There were two officials from the Galapagos National park weighing crates of the fish using a little hand-held scale, and then writing down all the information on a notepad. Meanwhile, the fishermen kept yelling and there was a crowd of townspeople gathering. Notice the woman recording the weights is wearing a white skirt and heels - no the most practical outfit for standing in slimy fish gunk with pelicans and sea lions all over the place.
DSC02890.jpg

Of course, the pile of dead fish attracted the attention of pelicans and a young sea lion, who was only too happy to loll about on the pile of fish.
DSC02891.jpg

After the weighing was finished, the people started bidding on the fish, and this man began gutting some of the choice specimens. Oh, I thought to myself, they're just selling the day's catch...
DSC02892.jpg

The fish! (I like the colors and composition in this shot.)
DSC02894.jpg

A group of hungry pelicans.
DSC02898.jpg

The hapless fish, with the gutted fish added to the pile. It turns out two fishermen went out illegaly, without the appropriate documents and permits from the park, and the fish were being confiscated. The townspeople were angry, and wanted to buy the fish because it's one of the main foods on the island.
DSC02899.jpg

So then the Navy was called in because they were trying to sell the fish, even though that wasn't allowed. Apparently this is a common problem because the Galapagos National park is constantly changing rules about everything for no rhyme or reason, and without any previous notification. Although, in this case, it seems like the fishermen were in the wrong.
DSC02900.jpg

Reinforcements.
DSC02903.jpg

One of the fishermens' supporters. Apparently the actual fishermen who went out without permits were jailed for a month; the fish were confiscated and frozen until the paperwork and everything could be worked out, for probably two months or more. I know, it's a little grainy, but the light was fading fast and this guy was pissed, so a flash would have NOT helped matters.
DSC02904.jpg

Emotions were running high, and people were shouting and gesturing. I was a little nervous about getting too close because I am obviously foreign, and am still uncomfortable in situations such as this. By this point everything was dying down, and the crowd was moving away. The pelicans and sea lions are fighting over some fish they stole.
DSC02910.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Nice story. I think it looks like tuna they caught. I'm surprised that they allow the seal to just walk all over the fish like that but I guess that's the way it goes over there.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Thanks for showing and telling us this great story! I laughed about the pelicans and the sea lion... it really says a lot about how different the culture/climate is that they just hang out there right next to the people.

I never realized just how skinny GBHs are. In the wildlife forum I always see their profile and they look so big!