Assignment #48: Heavenly Grounds

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 1, 2007 in Assignments
This time we going to have some fun both shooting and post processing. :wink

One of the typical annoyances of the digital imaging is the lack of dynamic range even in the best (available) modern cameras. How often do you find yourself in a position when either sky is blown out, or the ground reads (0,0,0)?

Well, while we still cannot make it "right", we can try to make it "look right". We can take several exposures, at least two, or produce different "developments" from RAW file, and then blend them together in software.

I'm not talking about HDR here. I'm talking about simple manual blending.

In a simple case the workflow would look like this:
  1. Take a RAW picture exposed for the sky
  2. Open it in PS
  3. Go back to RAW, adjust exposure for the ground (ignore blown out skies)
  4. Open this new version in PS
  5. Using Move tools (or pressing Ctrl), move the "skies" into the "ground" shot (it will come as a separate layer; you can also do copy/paste routine)
  6. Add mask to the "skies" layer
  7. Activate linear gradient tool (make sure you have default colors, "D")
  8. Apply gradient to the mask, play with it to get what you want.
As a result you will get something like this (trust me, it was nothing like this originally:-):

95802836-L.jpg

Of course, instead of redeveloping RAW twice you can simply take separate exposures (tripod is a must).

Now, what's in the books?

Each entry should provide the following:
  1. A frame that is exposed for the "skies"
  2. A frame that is exposed for the "ground"
  3. Your resulting mask
  4. Your resulting image
  5. (Inline) EXIF data and any additional technical info you deem necessary to share. Full EXIF link is optional.
Typical scenarios: sunrise/sunset; canyons (real or urban); forest opening; river beds (with cliffs or trees on the banks).

Fresh pictures only. Post-processing as requested. For the rest of the rules please consult this sticky.

Let's get some blending going!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Do I have to go exactly throught this method ?
    Two layers, one for the sky, one for the dark stuff. OK

I would like to mask with the eraser.
    I have done it before, as it is very easy and works just fine.

I don't know how to submit a photo of the resulting mask unless making a print screen. Is that good enought ?

And if I shoot jpg ?
    OK, I do know that RAW is better, etc. etc.
    The results are very similar in the final proposition of the photo.

I assume that breaketing is forbiden.

Cheersthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Antonio,
    Do I have to go exactly throught this method ?
    Two layers, one for the sky, one for the dark stuff. OK
    While you may use more than 2 exposures, more often than not it's an overkill. I'd like to emphasize - we're not talking about HDR. FOr that baby you may need 5-7 frames, but this method works nicely with 2. I tried 3 several times, but each time ended not using the thirds one. Maybe for more extreme conditions....
    I would like to mask with the eraser.
    I have done it before, as it is very easy and works just fine.
    Well, my friend, in these walls Eraser is considered "bad" (due to it destructive nature), so here's your opportunity to learn something new (and better...:-)

I don't know how to submit a photo of the resulting mask unless making a print screen. Is that good enought ?
    I give you a tip: Alt (Option) + Click mwink.gif

And if I shoot jpg ?
    OK, I do know that RAW is better, etc. etc.
    The results are very similar in the final proposition of the photo.
    I assume that breaketing is forbiden.
    ACR4 (from CS3) work with JPEGs, too. You have less freedom adjusting exposure, though.
    And since the bracketing is NOT forbidden :D, you can use bracketed JPEGs.

HTH
    edited August 10, 2007
    Nikolai. Good evening.
    Thank you for the tips. I couldn't do that Option+Click trick, so I made a print screen with the mask on.
    I noticed that the Gradient Tool - 1.st time using it - makes a remarkable line of transition. It may be good for pictures having linear transition from areas or - and this is the most probable - I don't know how to use it properly, in spite of having been reading for some hours now (only).
    I thought that the Eraser Tool used in a mask was not destructive because I always can reverse the erased areas, changing black to white in the tool bar.
    The purpose of this shot is only for you to tell me if this is the job to be done.
    I shot - RAW this time - as soon as I got home measuring the light to the sky and proceeding as you pointed.
    Thank you Nikolai.
    182498919-Th.jpg182498577-Th.jpg182498354-Th.jpg
    The final picture, the third, has been cropped. The others have not.

After seeing this in the preview panel I think I did a lauzy job !
    edited August 10, 2007
    I re-worked the same picture but with the Eraser Tool, "melting" 3 pictures.
    One for the sky, one for the trees on our right and another one for the trees on our left.
    Just for the sake of comparing.
    In fact, this one gave me more work and it was a little bit more time consuming.
    Both side by side. The "new" one on our left.
    Different crop however.
    182504754-Th.jpg182498354-Th.jpg
  • VizhonVizhon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    One of the typical annoyances of the digital imaging is the lack of dynamic range even in the best (available) modern cameras.

Even the best?... Uhm, I've taken pictures that look like that right straight out of my S5Pro when set to 400% DR. Not that I don't plan to play the game of doing the assignment. I'll just be pulling out the Sigma SD-14 or my Olympus 770SW to do it, because I just can't bring myself to limit the DR of my S5Pro when it can do it right in the first place.
    edited August 10, 2007
    Vizhon wrote:
    Even the best?... Uhm, I've taken pictures that look like that right straight out of my S5Pro when set to 400% DR. Not that I don't plan to play the game of doing the assignment. I'll just be pulling out the Sigma SD-14 or my Olympus 770SW to do it, because I just can't bring myself to limit the DR of my S5Pro when it can do it right in the first place.
    Are you saying you never had a blown out skies while you were trying to pull out the shadows? rolleyes1.gif Lucky you...
    edited August 10, 2007
    Antonio,
    Thank you for your entries! thumb.gif
    I challenge you to leave your comfort zone and try gradient on mask. Trust me, you don't want to use Eraser to the rest of your life... mwink.gif
  • VizhonVizhon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Are you saying you never had a blown out skies while you were trying to pull out the shadows? rolleyes1.gif Lucky you...

Sure I have, with most cameras, but not with my S5Pro. With the S5, I pretty much always shoot 400% DR whenever it's possible and in RAW. It's a camera that can under or overexpose a typical image by 4 stops and still pull a usable image out of it. When exposed properly (or even EV +1 which I often use for good color saturation and lower noise), it's really hard to blow highlights without trying to. In all honesty I get horrid problems with lens flare and difraction from the highlights before the they start blowing out on the sensor.

One of the reviews actually described the way the FujiFilm SuperCCD works sorta like the camera doing the excercise of this assignment for you: It's like loading both 100 ISO and 400 ISO film into the same camera at the same time and then merging the best results of the two shots into one HDR image.

Now you wanna talk any other digital Camera I've Owned (too many video cams to keep track of, mostly Sony, Olympus C-700 SuperZoom, Olympus Stylus 770 SW, Sony Alpha-100, Sigma SD14 and a handful of lesser P&S's I can't name by memory) then sure, I've blown highlights before.

I'll tell you what... When I find the shot for this assignment, I'll use both my SD14 and the S5Pro and when I post the assignment done with the SD-14 (it has colors as sublime as the HDR on the S5Pro) I'll also post the shot taken with the S5Pro as a comparison. There is around a 5 stop difference in the cameras' dynamic ranges.
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Vizhon wrote:
    Sure I have, with most cameras, but not with my S5Pro. With the S5, I pretty much always shoot 400% DR whenever it's possible and in RAW. It's a camera that can under or overexpose a typical image by 4 stops and still pull a usable image out of it. When exposed properly (or even EV +1 which I often use for good color saturation and lower noise), it's really hard to blow highlights without trying to. In all honesty I get horrid problems with lens flare and difraction from the highlights before the they start blowing out on the sensor.

One of the reviews actually described the way the FujiFilm SuperCCD works sorta like the camera doing the excercise of this assignment for you: It's like loading both 100 ISO and 400 ISO film into the same camera at the same time and then merging the best results of the two shots into one HDR image.

Now you wanna talk any other digital Camera I've Owned (too many video cams to keep track of, mostly Sony, Olympus C-700 SuperZoom, Olympus Stylus 770 SW, Sony Alpha-100, Sigma SD14 and a handful of lesser P&S's I can't name by memory) then sure, I've blown highlights before.

I'll tell you what... When I find the shot for this assignment, I'll use both my SD14 and the S5Pro and when I post the assignment done with the SD-14 (it has colors as sublime as the HDR on the S5Pro) I'll also post the shot taken with the S5Pro as a comparison. There is around a 5 stop difference in the cameras' dynamic ranges.

Hmmmm...
    It's thread about - Assignment #48: Heavenly Grounds

not about cameras you had !!!
    Try to post some pics here :D
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    edited August 11, 2007
    Vizhon wrote:
    Sure I have, with most cameras, but not with my S5Pro. ...
    OK... Will be really interesting to see...
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    My First Try..
    This gives me an excuse to shoot RAW and do some experimenting. I did this a little differently as I started with the sky exposure as the background layer and then added the grass. I found it a little easier to do it this was as the blown out sky is easier to select (deselect 'continguous' to get all the parts hiding in tree branches).

Here is the properly exposed sky.

183157914-L.jpg

Here is the grass.

183157337-L.jpg

Here is the mask used.

183160553-L.jpg

And finally the final image

183157726-L.jpg
    EXIF data can be found here

edited August 12, 2007
    Tom,
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    This gives me an excuse to shoot RAW and do some experimenting. I did this a little differently as I started with the sky exposure as the background layer and then added the grass. I found it a little easier to do it this was as the blown out sky is easier to select (deselect 'continguous' to get all the parts hiding in tree branches).
    Thank you for your entry! thumb.gif
    While this is totally useful technique, the results usally have one big flaw - certain artificial halo along the tree line. The gradient-based approach I've mentioned is often free from it. In your case of very sharp contrast between the tree tops and the sky I would recommend maybe three exposures (of for the skies, one for the trees and one for the sun-lit lawn) and two gradients (one across the tree tops, and another across the tree roots). Please also note that you can apply three separate curves to your three layers, which can help with the blending and can also improve each part of the image.
    HTH
    edited August 13, 2007
    Thanks Nikolai, I saw the halos and was wondering how to correct those. I will go play some more.
    edited August 13, 2007
    Where I am at the moment, I don't have the RAW to work with so, I started with a jpg file some time old, just to play around.

Here is what I did:
    1. I "curved" the 1.st shot to the sky
    2. I did the same to the grass/people.
    (I know I have exageted but I did it on purpous, on both pictures)

3. I created 2 layers, mask, played around and got this.

The mask picture is missing OK. I know.
    But how is the final result ?
    I can understand that this is an usefull tool.:D
    Next step: Fresh start from a RAW file with a better final result. I hope.:D

183463775-Th.jpg183464499-Th.jpg183461690-Th.jpg
    edited August 13, 2007
    Reworked picture
    I tried to apply the gradient mask but these type of pictures just don't lend themselves to that technique. The different angles from the trees don't allow you to get rid of the halo. However, I tried something else that does seem to work. Same pictures, but instead of generating a new layer with just the sky, I generated a layer with the entire sky shot. Then made a mask and with a large brush masked away most of the underexposed grass in the sky shot. Then I changed the brush to something small and significantly lowered the opacity and ink flow, essentially making an airbrush. Then on the sky layer I outlined the edges of the trees. This allows you to get the brighter grass layer through but you can control the mask more precisely at the edges and eliminates the halo.

Here is the mask

183549373-L.jpg

Here is the final picture
    183549254-L.jpg

EXIF information is the same as the previous post.
    edited August 13, 2007
    Antonio,
    Where I am at the moment, I don't have the RAW to work with so, I started with a jpg file some time old, just to play around.

Here is what I did:
    Without the mask it's very hard to figure out what it was (in this case, that is), hence we're missing almost entire point of the exercise...ne_nau.gif
    edited August 13, 2007
    Tom,
    Sorry for being insistent, but I would really like to see the results based upon the gradient mask rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif
    I'll try to work something out of your shots later and see if it's feasible...
    edited August 13, 2007
    Tom,
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry for being insistent, but I would really like to see the results based upon the gradient mask rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif
    I'll try to work something out of your shots later and see if it's feasible...

Here's my take on your pics:

Mask:
    183690315-L.jpg

Result:
    183690340-L.jpg

I'm not saying it's perfect, in fact, it' not, but it's very easy to fix and it has been done in a matter of seconds...

HTH
    edited August 14, 2007
    03 - This morning shots
    183817940-Th.jpg + 183817674-Th.jpg183817403-Th.jpg183817722-Th.jpg
    edited August 14, 2007
    Well That's a Big 'Duh' for me..
    Nikolai wrote:
    Here's my take on your pics:

I'm not saying it's perfect, in fact, it' not, but it's very easy to fix and it has been done in a matter of seconds...

HTH

When I stopped trying to select the sky before I pasted and just stick the whole picture in as a layer it works just the way you said. Too much thinking can be a bad thing somethings.

Thanks, Nik...
    edited August 14, 2007
    Antonio,
    I'm afraid I'm failing to express myself clearly. headscratch.gif

Two layers. One mask. One gradient.
    That's all I'm asking for. deal.gif
    No selection. No Quick Mask. No eraser.

As to the getting image of the mask. There are many ways to skin a cat in PS, here's what I do:
    1. Have a mask ready
    2. Alt/Option+Click the mask icon (mask become visible as a b/w image)
    3. Alt/Option+A (Edit|Select All)
    4. Ctrl/Command+C (Edit|Copy)
    5. Ctrl/Command+N (File|New), hit OK
    6. Ctrl/Command+V (Edit|Paste)
    7. Ctrl/Command+S (File|Save)
    6-7 clicks... It's really way faster to do than to type it up...mwink.gif
    edited August 14, 2007
    Tom,
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    When I stopped trying to select the sky before I pasted and just stick the whole picture in as a layer it works just the way you said. Too much thinking can be a bad thing somethings.

Thanks, Nik...

You're welcome! Glad you liked it! Yeah, I agree, often the simplest way works much better. mwink.gif
    edited August 14, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm failing to express myself clearly. headscratch.gif

Two layers. One mask. One gradient.
    That's all I'm asking for. deal.gif
    No selection. No Quick Mask. No eraser.

As to the getting image of the mask. There are many ways to skin a cat in PS, here's what I do:
    1. Have a mask ready
    2. Alt/Option+Click the mask icon (mask become visible as a b/w image)
    3. Alt/Option+A (Edit|Select All)
    4. Ctrl/Command+C (Edit|Copy)
    5. Ctrl/Command+N (File|New), hit OK
    6. Ctrl/Command+V (Edit|Paste)
    7. Ctrl/Command+S (File|Save)
    6-7 clicks... It's really way faster to do than to type it up...mwink.gif

It's not your fault Nikolai. It's mine.
    thumb.gif
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Hey all, tell me what you think. I was a bit dramatic with the colors in the sky just to have a little fun.

Sky:
    edited October 28, 2007
    edited October 28, 2007
    Gradient used
    edited October 28, 2007
    Final image
    edited October 28, 2007
    a bit bigger
    edited October 28, 2007
    Izzy,
    Very nice, thank you!thumb.gif
    I would make the ground just a bit darker to keep the impression of the low light, but other than that it's exactly what I've asked for:-)
    edited October 31, 2007
    how about this one? pretty much did the same thing

18th_Hole_by_IzzyGaravito.jpg