Options

Anyone know Marc Adamus?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited February 25, 2010 in Wildlife
I stumbled on this gallery at smugmug and my jaw just dropped:

http://wildphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/856050

He lists as one of his mentors Marc Muench. Shouldn't we recruit him to dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Very Impressive. I would certainly like to see him hang around here from time to time sharing his work and his knowledge.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    total eye candy!
    i dig it. great find, baldy. i'm on him like white on rice...

this one is da bomb http://Wildphoto.smugmug.com/photos/21208127-L.jpg
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 10, 2005
    I recognise this location...

http://wildphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/514656/1/21184702

from some of Marc Muench's work.

Very very impressive.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Wow - striking images. I haven't made it through all of them yet. I'll make some time and really give them the attention they deserve.

Come Join Us!!!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    I feel small again. Wonderful images, and you're right, lots of echoes of Marc Muench's work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I stumbled on this gallery at smugmug and my jaw just dropped:
    dgrin?
    Whooah! Yes, those are wonderful, indeed! That second to last shot on page 5 is one of the most spectacular waterfall shots I've been honored to view, anywhere.

I don't know what he's shooting with, but I believe he could make even a toss-away camera sing symphonies.

Attention to detail, careful framing, use of light, and its pretty clear he knows his way around some image-editing dialog boxes as well.

thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Stunning work and it did remind me of Marc's work. It would be wonderful to have him join us thumb.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    I think it's different than Marc Muench's work. More processed. I would
    liken it more to Galen Rowell.

Be a great asset to dgrin!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Check out Popular Photography & Imaging's current issue (September '07).
    Marc is featured on page 62, "Filters vs PhotoShop".
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Read seastack's intro in this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=67359
  • Options
    BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    I envy him for having the chance to photograph Crater Lake bowdown.gif One of my most desired places to see, let alone photograph. Marc has many awesome photos in his galleries. I commented a few, and hopefully he will return the effortne_nau.gif
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    thumb.gif I've known of Marc prior to his fame thru another site of which I no longer belong. I believe he drops in there from time to time. I've always been amazed (and envied) at the preparation and sacrifice he experiences just to capture images. Yes, he is quite a find.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Just googled him and it seems someone has taken a serious dislike to him ne_nau.gif(not giving any links - googleit if you're interested)

I have to say his images are seriously impressive!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 24, 2010
    I Simonius wrote:
    ... someone has taken a serious dislike to him (not giving any links - google it if you're interested)
    Why not? Here it is. http://marcadamuslies.blogspot.com/

Basically it's an anonymous blog that is so ill-conceived and ridiculous that it is clearly written by somebody who is completely obsessed with Adamus and profoundly jealous of him.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Why not? Here it is. http://marcadamuslies.blogspot.com/

Basically it's an anonymous blog that is so ill-conceived and ridiculous that it is clearly written by somebody who is completely obsessed with Adamus and profoundly jealous of him.

The dolt seems to have it in for two other photographers also. I guess everyone needs a hobby.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 24, 2010
    Harryb wrote:
    The dolt seems to have it in for two other photographers also. I guess everyone needs a hobby.

What an opening salvo. I guess the dolt is intent on offending as many as possible.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Harryb wrote:
    Reminds me of the good old days, maybe it's the Door-man, Harry!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Marc has been big for a few years. He is very well known and respected on all the major professional nature photographer websites.
    His work is amazing!
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    yeah, i've known of him for a couple of years now. his work is amazing, but what really sets him apart, in my mind, is his willingness to go places and do things that most won't in order to get the shot. i recall one of his most spectacular images (IMHO, anyway) of Crater Lake at dawn in January... snowshoeing around the crater rim at stupid-thirty in the morning, waiting for the sun to peek over the crater rim... the shot was simply astounding, but the dedication he displayed in getting there to get it was what really impressed me...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I'm impressed by anyone that can carry a full salvo of gear never mind even getting up early with it!mwink.gif

His images are amazing - it is inspirational when people raise the bar - I only ever manage to raise a glass!rolleyes1.gif

I left a comment on that detrimental blog that perhaps the reason for all the vitriol was simply ''hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". (Just a thought) Either way someone has seriously got their knickers (am I allowed to say 'knickers'?ne_nau.gif ) in twist lolrolleyes1.gif

Marc 's images are still not going to persuade me to go the ND grad route though. I did all that once years a go and it drove me absolutely crazy ( explains a lot;))It's'a discipline too many for me anyway, they are SUCH a faff IMO. Never mind all the fiddling about while the light races past you, the nail in the coffin of ND grads for me was getting refections from a bright sky from behind in a couple of what would have been my best shots. I threw them away and vowed never again! (waay back when - 1980's)

I know - IM just lazyne_nau.gif :cry
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..