Options

First 1dMkIIN samples

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited August 17, 2007 in Sports
Spent the last two weekends doing a freelance shoot for a hockey school. Used the 20d for those since I stil haven;t even figured out how to chimp with the 1d. Also haven't figured out how to display the histogram, so am way WAY underexposing things.

Anyway, shot 12 hockey teams in 4 hours yeaterday (after running the sales table for 3 hrs), then went to my youngests second last game of the season. Poor light, chilly out (Ugh!), but I got a few in focus. So, these are just samples to show that I know where the shutter is! :D Looking forward to learning to use this camera, sure feels good to hang on to!

183601736-M.jpg

183601790-M.jpg

183601836-M.jpg

183601867-M.jpg

ann

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Also haven't figured out how to display the histogram, so am way WAY underexposing things.

Hold down the "display" button....then rotate the dial until "info" is highlighted in green....let go of the "display" button to select....wah la....histogram and shot info.clap.gif

It is a quirky navigation system.

I have a couple of shots here.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 13, 2007
    The Canon 1D cameras are so substantially different from any other camera body type (except the 1V film series), they seem almost overwhelming at first. The number of settings alone take a while to go through.

After a while, I guarantee that you will learn the methods required to do any of the usual tasks, and you will come to understand the very real logic and plan that goes into this class of camera.

I took the user manual and copied the pages that I would use the most as a kind of "instant reference" that I could take with me and not have to worry about losing or getting wet or whatever.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    goes to show you how different the climates are... you're on your 2nd to last game of the season and chilly and we're still in preseason and roasting with 104 F / 40 C (but at least it's dry heat mwink.gif )

have fun w/ your new camera and hopefully you don't have to put it away for the year too soon.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Basically in 1D's serie is one "magic button" - Select. thumb.gif

After that everything will looks easy and nice.
    I hope, at least headscratch.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Ann here are two links you might find very useful as you get used the MarkII.

http://www.eosdslr.com/pdf/EOS_Digital.pdf

http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2N.inc
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    OK IN the manual it says that Custom function 19-4 [Lens AF stop button fuction] If i am in AF single shot and press the AF button it should switch to AI servo and vise versa when i hit the AF button. ne_nau.gif the little button that looks like a domino and + sign ..(is that the correct button???) ( one button swich instead of having to go the the top 2 button hold mode onthe top of the camera. But I cannot get this function to work. they did not make this camera easy everything you do takes 2or 3 fingers and presses, Makes me love my nikons more for user friendliness. ***ARGH ***

also It went in the middle of a shoot yesterday and changed from one shot #1360 to the next frame being #8219 ? whats up with THAT ? thats a BIG change in sequencing and looks like more shutter clicks . I dont like that.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    CookieS wrote:
    OK IN the manual it says that Custom function 19-4 [Lens AF stop button fuction] If i am in AF single shot and press the AF button it should switch to AI servo and vise versa when i hit the AF button. ne_nau.gif the little button that looks like a domino and + sign ..(is that the correct button???) ( one button swich instead of having to go the the top 2 button hold mode onthe top of the camera. But I cannot get this function to work. they did not make this camera easy everything you do takes 2or 3 fingers and presses, Makes me love my nikons more for user friendliness. ***ARGH ***

also It went in the middle of a shoot yesterday and changed from one shot #1360 to the next frame being #8219 ? whats up with THAT ? thats a BIG change in sequencing and looks like more shutter clicks . I dont like that.

This is from the Canon paper mentioned in my above post. Are you using one of the above lenses? The one series cameras were intentionally set up to make you use two hands for most functions. They didn't want something to get changed accidentally in the middle of a shoot.

Custom Function 19

programs the functions of the AF Stop buttons on a select group of

Image Stabilizer super-telephoto lenses including the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF
    400mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM, EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, and EF
    600mm f/4L IS USM. It has no effect with other lenses.

• C.Fn 19-0 is the default setting. Autofocus is suspended when one of the AF Stop
    buttons is pressed. AF resumes when the AF Stop button is released. This is useful for
    sports or nature photography if an obstacle is temporarily blocking the main subject.
    • In C.Fn 19-1, AF operates only when the AF Stop button is pressed. While the button is
    pressed, AF operation from the camera is disabled. This can be beneficial because it
    lets your left hand control AF operation, thereby freeing up your right hand to do other
    things like selecting a new focusing point.
    • In C.Fn 19-2, if the AF Stop button is pressed while the exposure metering system is
    active, AE Lock takes effect in AE modes. This can be convenient when you want to
    focus and meter separately. In this mode, AF is activated from the camera.
    • In C.Fn 19-3, if the camera is set for MFPS, pressing one of the AF Stop buttons
    instantly switches the camera to AFPS. This can be effective in AI Servo AF if it
    becomes difficult to track a moving subject with a single focusing point.
    • In C.Fn 19-4, if the camera is set for One-Shot AF, pressing one of the AF Stop buttons
    temporarily toggles it to AI Servo AF, and vice versa. This can be effective when
    working with a subject that stops and moves frequently.
    • In C.Fn 19-5, if the lens’ IS switch is on, the Image Stabilizer operates only when you
    press one of the AF Stop buttons. Autofocusing must be initiated from the camera
    body. This option is somewhat similar to C.Fn 19-1 because it lets you concentrate on
    selecting focusing points and operating the shutter release with your right hand while
    controlling IS with your left hand.

The second issue sounds as if you went from the CF card to the SD card. Did you have a card in each slot? When you pull the CF card with an SD card in it will switch to the SD card. Sounds like this is what happened.

Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    sorry to Hijack the hread but I think , any info will help original poster as well.

• In C.Fn 19-4, if the camera is set for One-Shot AF, pressing one of the AF Stop buttons
    temporarily toggles it to AI Servo AF, and vice versa. This can be effective when

this is what I cannot seem to get to work, I keep pressing the * or the domino ( AF next to it) nothing?? I am using a 70-200 f2.8 lens am i hitting the right button? I shoot horses and sometimes in servo I want to STOP the hunting and i cant seem to do this.

I did not change cards, that is what was weird, same card same ring. but different numbers between one fram and the next. same horse even . So it did not miss anything just swithed numbers???? Gremlins. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    CookieS wrote:
    sorry to Hijack the hread but I think , any info will help original poster as well.

this is what I cannot seem to get to work, I keep pressing the * or the domino ( AF next to it) nothing?? I am using a 70-200 f2.8 lens am i hitting the right button? I shoot horses and sometimes in servo I want to STOP the hunting and i cant seem to do this.

I did not change cards, that is what was weird, same card same ring. but different numbers between one fram and the next. same horse even . So it did not miss anything just swithed numbers???? Gremlins. headscratch.gif

As you can see from the reply if you are using the 70-200/2.8 what you are trying will not work, it is not one of the lenses that work with this feature.
    programs the functions of the AF Stop buttons on a select group of

Image Stabilizer super-telephoto lenses including the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF
    400mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM, EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, and EF
    600mm f/4L IS USM. It has no effect with other lenses.
    Have you moved your focus to the back * button? If you are in AI servo as long as you push the * button you will have focus that tracks. If you want it to stop focusing then just let up on the * button and focus now stops (same as one shot). Very simple and useful feature, you get both AI Servo and One shot in one button.

I will have to think a bit on why the numbers changed, anyone else on that one?
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thanks, at least Its not a camera issue. ? I cant seem to get the handg of the * button focus. my small hands, just dont make that comfortble. I hear its THE way to shoot, but just isnt my "thang" maybe Ill try again someday .