Options

Monopod - Flips or twists??

BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited August 16, 2007 in Accessories
Howdy,

I'm in the process of getting a monopod to assist in my handling of the Canon 70-200 IS 2.8L. I'd really like to get something that folds up small, as it will reside on my motorcycle for a goodly portion of its life. Folded length of 20 - 21" is about all that will fit in the topcase.

Anyway, I see some of the mid-range models that fit my needs (like the Giottos MM 9780) have twist locks. The ones I've tried in the camera store with flips have been dead quick to lock and unlock - are the twists just as fast? Is there some advantage to twists that I cannot see?

Thanks for looking,

Brad

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 13, 2007
    Just go for the Manfrotto 3249. It's a tad longer than what you're looking for
    but it fits in the standard case.

Regarding flip or twist. The more modern Gitzo twists work pretty well.
    If you have a large hand, you can twist three at once. Otherwise, it's six
    of one, half dozen of the other.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 13, 2007
    You'll save a buck or two on twists, but flips are way faster. Think of them as "set and forget". With twists, you'll overtighten or undertighten, and they're harder to do from any angle. Flips are the way to go nod.gif

70-200/2.8 IS - gettin' into the big guns now, eh mate?!
    wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    wave.gif
    It's all part of the plan....
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Just go for the Manfrotto 3249. It's a tad longer than what you're looking for
    but it fits in the standard case.

Regarding flip or twist. The more modern Gitzo twists work pretty well.
    If you have a large hand, you can twist three at once. Otherwise, it's six
    of one, half dozen of the other.

Yes Sir. Let it be known that I shall never ignore your advice, ever bowdown.gif

For your approval, my current 'Cart' at B&H includes:

- 680B (3249),
    - 2 x Lexar 2GB Professional UDMA 300x cards,
    - OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord 3,
    - 2 x filters for the 70-200 (B&W 77mm UV Haze 010 and 77 mm Circular Polarizer)

Seeking your approval.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You'll save a buck or two on twists, but flips are way faster. Think of them as "set and forget". With twists, you'll overtighten or undertighten, and they're harder to do from any angle. Flips are the way to go nod.gif

wave.gif

Yo Erik! How's life upside down??

Hi to Mrs. It for me iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    wave.gif

Ian is responsible for the recent sale of my new 17-85 F4-5.6 IS
    lens (at a substantial loss), and its subsequent replacement by the 24-105 F4L IS. He owes me.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    A flip broke off on my Manfrotto tripod. My conclusion is that they're more convenient but also more fragile.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    BVardy wrote:
    Yes Sir. Let it be known that I shall never ignore your advice, ever bowdown.gif

For your approval, my current 'Cart' at B&H includes:

- 680B (3249),
    - 2 x Lexar 2GB Professional UDMA 300x cards,
    - OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord 3,
    - 2 x filters for the 70-200 (B&W 77mm UV Haze 010 and 77 mm Circular Polarizer)

Seeking your approval.
    drop the UV haze and keep the lens hood on or the lens cap.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    BVardy wrote:
    Yo Erik! How's life upside down??

Hi to Mrs. It for me iloveyou.gif
    Pretty darn good! We're having a right jolly time so far. The everday stuff (apartment, furniture) is mostly taken care of now, so time to start looking for some proper 2-wheeled transport. naughty.gif

Good choice on the 680B. I had one (sold before the move), it's a solid piece of kit. I used it to prop myself on hike and as a blunt object on more than one occasion. May I add one suggestion to your list? Get the 3229 QR tilt-swivel head for it. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    3229 QR tilt-swivel head

It's a nice to have but if you learn how to use the 'pod, you can tilt to your
    hearts content without it. It does add a bit to the height and it does let you
    use a quick release plate (which makes carrying the camera difficult if you
    ask me).

Though some people swear by them. I'm not one of them.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    May I add one suggestion to your list? Get the 3229 QR tilt-swivel head for it. nod.gif
    Agree on the head. I use it with a 679B and a Bigma - couldn't be without it. (234 is the Manfrotto part no.)

I haven't used twists, but I must admit that the flips allow for very rapid height adjustments.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I have manfrotto 679B since several years - strongly recommended !
    But it's 24" long, so maybe 680B (20") will fit your needs better ?
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    BVardy wrote:
    Howdy,

I'm in the process of getting a monopod to assist in my handling of the Canon 70-200 IS 2.8L. I'd really like to get something that folds up small, as it will reside on my motorcycle for a goodly portion of its life. Folded length of 20 - 21" is about all that will fit in the topcase.

Anyway, I see some of the mid-range models that fit my needs (like the Giottos MM 9780) have twist locks. The ones I've tried in the camera store with flips have been dead quick to lock and unlock - are the twists just as fast? Is there some advantage to twists that I cannot see?

Thanks for looking,

Brad

With that Giottos (assuming the monopod locks are the same as the tripod ones--a safe assumtion I think), yes. I am loving the twist locks + anti-twist legs on my Giottos tripod. It is dead quick to lock & unlock--the only thing you miss from the flips are the quick visual cue of it's lock/unlock status & so far that has not been an issue. With the anti-twist, all sections can be locked & unlocked at once--that's how I usually deploy & fold my legs. I do like that there's no parts hanging off the side of the leg--nothing to snag or break off.

Combined with a 3232 (or 3229) head & it would be perfect. I will almost certainly replace my old aluminum monopod with a Giottos when the time comes.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Thanks for the replies and advice, all. I've ordered the 680B with the 3229 head. I don't know if I'll use the head or not, but it's not expensive so what the hell? If I don't like it I'll give it away.

Yippee!
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    It's a nice to have but if you learn how to use the 'pod, you can tilt to your
    hearts content without it. It does add a bit to the height and it does let you
    use a quick release plate (which makes carrying the camera difficult if you
    ask me).

Though some people swear by them. I'm not one of them.

I have to agree about learning to use the "pod." That is why I would not be with out a 3229 with an arca-swiss QR plate. Some real good reading on the proper way to use a monopod.

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    BVardy wrote:
    Thanks for the replies and advice, all. I've ordered the 680B with the 3229 head. I don't know if I'll use the head or not, but it's not expensive so what the hell? If I don't like it I'll give it away.

Yippee!
    You'll use it. If for nothing else than the quick-release plate. nod.gif

do yourself a favor, if you don't already have one, when you do get one, get a Bogen tripod head that uses the same QR plate, you'll be in heaven!
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You'll use it. If for nothing else than the quick-release plate. nod.gif

do yourself a favor, if you don't already have one, when you do get one, get a Bogen tripod head that uses the same QR plate, you'll be in heaven!
    Actually, heaven is an RRS ball head. Just sayin' deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    yeah well. that's a really really expensive heaven. I was simply referring to the ease of putting that QR plate on aforementioned 70-200 and never having to unscrew it. Head functionality is a whole 'nother ballgame.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah well. that's a really really expensive heaven. I was simply referring to the ease of putting that QR plate on aforementioned 70-200 and never having to unscrew it. Head functionality is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Expensive? Doesn't that go without saying when it comes from Ian? :D If I were a mod here, I'd change his user name to ian$$$.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I have a Bogen monopod with the 3229 head. It works great with my Bogen Camdapter plate/handstrap. I second the notion of getting a QR tripod head to match the monopod one. Easy on/off as long as you have the QR plates. The only issue I had with my 3030 tripod head and Camdapter is the 3030 is a different design (you can see the two here) and doesn't fit 100% tight. I'll be replacing the 3030 with a ball head (488RC2 probably) which is the same design as the 3229, so it'll be plenty tight.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    ian408 wrote:

15524779-Ti.gifnod

Not cheap, but worth it. However, on a monopod heaven would be a 3232 + RRS lever clamp to go with the tripod & RRS ballhead. :D
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    BVardy wrote:
    Expensive? Doesn't that go without saying when it comes from Ian? :D If I were a mod here, I'd change his user name to ian$$$.

Hey, I could have steered you towards the more expensive Gitzo monopod. But
    being the guy I am, I pointed you at the best value for your money :D

Seriously if you just want it for the quick release plate, the suggest plate is
    more than enough.