Canon EFS 60mm F2.8 Macro Lens

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 14, 2007 in Cameras
I have a canon400d. Can anyone please give me some advice with the Canon EFS 60mm F2.8 Macro lens. I am wanting to take really close up shots. Will this meet my bill. Also has anyone got any photos of what this lens is capable of doing. Thanks everyone.
Bob

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Close up as in 1x or close up as in 5x+? 1x is a bit smaller than a dime (14.8mm to be exact) that fills the entire vertical area of the image. 5x is like... a 3mm tall image.

So you have a flash? I'd imagine the most important thing for macro is an off-shoe flash. Thats done with a bracket, offshoe cord/wireless, and a standard hotshoe flash.... or a twin light/ringlight setup.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    Close up as in 1x or close up as in 5x+? 1x is a bit smaller than a dime (14.8mm to be exact) that fills the entire vertical area of the image. 5x is like... a 3mm tall image.

So you have a flash? I'd imagine the most important thing for macro is an off-shoe flash. Thats done with a bracket, offshoe cord/wireless, and a standard hotshoe flash.... or a twin light/ringlight setup.

The only flash I have is the built in flash on my canon400d. Can you recommend what I should get. Many thanks. Bob
    edited August 13, 2007
    It really depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of shooting you will be doing. A hotshoe flash like the canon 430 or 580 will be the most versatile for you. You can use an offshoe cord and flash bracket to get the flash up near the end of the lens. It can also be mounted on the camera in the traditional fashion so you can use it as a standard flash.

A twin light macro flash setup works best with the 65mm M-PE 1-5x lens... it clips on the end and has nice focus lights. Its $$$ though... and its really one use.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited August 13, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    The only flash I have is the built in flash on my canon400d. Can you recommend what I should get. Many thanks. Bob

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64695
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Also,
    What do you plan on photographing with the macro lens? 60mm will be too short for anything that might skitter away, it'll also be a pita to shoot some things at 1:1 since its working distance will be a couple inches. I've tried a 50, 100, 150 and 180mm macro lens (on full frame) and I found that 100mm was perfect (for me) as it had enough working distance that I could shoot stuff at 1:1 w/out having my shadow over it yet the working dist wasn't so long I had to be like 4' away from a flower to fit it all in. Off camera flash is vital btw, a cord and 420ex is plenty and keep in mind ring flashes can produce flat images since all the light is coming from the front.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited August 13, 2007
    Thanks Ziggy and Sizam
    I was wanting to photo real close ups of flowers and frosty images for example or bugs etc I was wanting to get as much detail as I could and resulting in a clear sharp picture. I have just taken some close up pics with my Canon 18-55mm and posted them in the Wildlife forum thread reading"Surely I can do better than this" You may have a quick look and tell me what you think.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited August 13, 2007
    Sounds like the short answer is go buy:

Canon 100macro
    Canon 420/430ex
    Canon off shoe cable

This'll give you _very_ sharp images of close ups of flowers, frost on leaves, bugs etc and very dynamic lighting for a reasonable price.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited August 13, 2007
    Sizam wrote:

Canon 100macro
    Canon 420/430ex
    Canon off shoe cable

This'll give you _very_ sharp images of close ups of flowers, frost on leaves, bugs etc and very dynamic lighting for a reasonable price.

Thanks for your sound advice I will go shopping tomorrow.
    Bob
    edited August 13, 2007
    and a delta 7" flash bracket thumb.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Sizam wrote:

Canon 100macro
    Canon 420/430ex
    Canon off shoe cable

Yebbut, what about the Sigma 150mm, 180mm or Tamron 90mm or 180mm? Reputed to be the equal of the Canons. Right now the top of my list is the Tamron--though I'm going to start out with the Kenko extension tube set on my 24-70 to dip my toes in & see if I want to spend the $700 on a dedicated macro lens.
    edited August 14, 2007
    Yebbut, what about the Sigma 150mm, 180mm or Tamron 90mm or 180mm? Reputed to be the equal of the Canons. Right now the top of my list is the Tamron--though I'm going to start out with the Kenko extension tube set on my 24-70 to dip my toes in & see if I want to spend the $700 on a dedicated macro lens.

Claudermilk,
    I went over that I don't like the 150 or 180mm lenses, I owned a Sigma 150 and its an awesome 150mm maco lens but I feel that 100mm is the sweet spot for general macro work, 150 and 180 is too long unless you're _just_ doing bugs or skitterish things. Sure on the Tamron 90 if you want, I just tend to suggest Canon gear to avoid the whole '<other guy> is just as good as Canon' flame wars cuz Canon is definitely as good as Canon.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer