Options

Briefy - What is a 'L Series Lens

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 15, 2007 in Cameras
Can someone please tell me exactly in layman's terms what an 'L' Series Lens is. I have been reading the reviews on B&H about a EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM and wow what reviews. I have a Sigma 70-300 for my 400D. How much better is the 70-200mm to mine. I have been put in the mood again to purchase. Comments please.
Bob
Dumfries & Galloway
Scotland

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Can someone please tell me exactly in layman's terms what an 'L' Series Lens is. I have been reading the reviews on B&H about a EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM and wow what reviews. I have a Sigma 70-300 for my 400D. How much better is the 70-200mm to mine. I have been put in the mood again to purchase. Comments please.
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway
    Scotland
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-L-Lens-Series.aspx
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway
    Scotland

A Lot. L Lenses tend to have larger max apertures, are (way) sharper at that max aperture, have faster focusing ring-USM (then even normal USM), and use more exotic glass that results in better colors and contrast. And some other tidbits like stronger build, extra buttons to futz with.

What it comes down to is sharper more colorful images, you can shoot in lower light and get thinner DOF and focus faster not only because of the faster USM but because of the larger aperture the camera can use for focusing.

And they'll break the bank :)
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway
    Scotland

It's ALL about "L"uxury wings.gif

In your particular case:
    Sigma 70-300 is longer, darker, cheaper and ugly black.
    Canon 70-200/4L is shorter, lighter, more expensive and WHITE !!!
    Additionaly have better optical quality and very important - got red stripe.
    Sell and buy, sell and buy ...
    iloveyou.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Awesome reply Gus
    Well Gus that was an awsome reply about the Canon 'L' series lens. There is no doubt in my mind which road to go down now after looking at that Canon site. A huge big thank you.

Bob
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    It's ALL about "L"uxury wings.gif

In your particular case:
    Sigma 70-300 is longer, darker, cheaper and ugly black.
    Canon 70-200/4L is shorter, lighter, more expensive and WHITE !!!
    Additionaly have better optical quality and very important - got red stripe.
    Sell and buy, sell and buy ...
    iloveyou.gif

After reading Gus's reply on the Canon website. I couldn't agree more.
    Bob
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    eek7.gif
    So what is L glass of other comapnies ? are there any good lenses then L ?
    I always love L because they look beautiful and solid in pictures lets see when i touch them headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I caught "L-disease" this year, after using my friend's 70-200 F2.8L IS. I lasted about 6 months before I just had to have it. Three weeks later, I sold my 3-month-old 17-85 F4 IS at a substantial loss and replaced it with a 24-105 F4L IS.

I just spent a few days in the company of a good friend who's a serious pro, and sponsored by Nikon. Even through his understandably Nikon-coloured glasses, he shows respect for these lenses.

As usual, you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    duh... everyone knows L stands for "Lots of money!!"

The 70-200/4L is about the best bang for the buck L lens in existance. Its like the benchmark of sharpness for a zoomer. Everyone should own two!
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    After reading Gus's reply on the Canon website. I couldn't agree more.
    Bob

I can't find that reply headscratch.gif
    Canon website ?
    http://usa.canon.com ?
    http://canon.jp ?

I need heelp
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Gus,

How on earth did you find that? mwink.gif

You could try typing:- 'what are canon l series lenses' into google rolleyes1.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    You could try typing:- 'what are canon l series lenses' into google rolleyes1.gif

Charlie

Yeeeeep.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 14, 2007
    400, Canon has this set of resources for you to download, in PDF format. Together, these should satisfy most every question you'll ever have on their entire series of lenses.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    water_boywater_boy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2007
    Many "L" lens are also weather sealed. All mine are as the beach in winter and waterfalls I need a bit of protection from the elements
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    duh... everyone knows L stands for "Lots of money!!"

The 70-200/4L is about the best bang for the buck L lens in existance. Its like the benchmark of sharpness for a zoomer. Everyone should own two!

I'll second that, it's a great lens, and it's not too heavy either!

Charlie
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    eek7.gif
    I always love L because they look beautiful and solid in pictures lets see when i touch them headscratch.gif

L is a designation only from Canon. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all make lenses speifically for the Canon bodies as well.

Nearly complete list on http://www.eflens.com

If you go to that site and follow links to reviews, you will see people comparing some lenses to the L-series.

If you want to go even further, there are several other (very nice) lenses you can use with adapters, too, including Zeiss.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 15, 2007
    water_boy wrote:
    Many "L" lens are also weather sealed. All mine are as the beach in winter and waterfalls I need a bit of protection from the elements

I should add that while many Canon "L" lenses have weather sealing O-rings and such, some "require" a front filter to complete the seal.

They also require periodic maintenance to sustain the seals' performance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    eek7.gif

AFAIK it's this:

Tokina: AT-X & AT-X PRO
    • "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]AT-X comes from our original concept of “Advanced Technology-Extra.” This vision encompasses a special group of lenses that are manufactured without compromise, using the most advanced design and fabrication technologies available."[/FONT][/FONT]
    Sigma: EX
    • "The exterior of this lens is EX-finished to denote the superior build and optical quality, and to enhance its appearance."
    Tamron: SP
    • "SP (Super Performance) Lenses featuring high-performance specifications"
    I can definitely say that Tokina's AT-X PRO lenses--or at least the one I own--do match Canon's L lenses in general build.

Gus' original linked article pretty well sums it up. The Ls (and the above-mentioned thrid-party manufacturers lines) are top-of-the-line professional products with the best technology the company has to offer. Expensive, but also more versatile, tougher, and generally better images.

There are non-L lenses that are perfectly good. For we snobs, mainly the shorter primes such as the 50mm lenses (1.4, 1.8, 2.5 macro), 85/1.8, etc. The one zoom I can think of that's well liked is the EF-S 17-55/2.8IS.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    You also need to take support into account. Canon, from experience, has fantastic customer service. It helps that their service center is literally a mile down the road, but I've always been happy with their work even when money was paid out.