Options

Need Help

AmericanMadeAmericanMade Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2005 in Cameras
I'm the photography nut of my family, so when my niece asked me to teach her how to take pictures I was really excited. So today I packed up all my equipment, picked her up and took her down to my favorite place to shoot, the beach. Half way through me teaching her she tells me that my camera equipment is old, heavy and not as fun as her digital camera. I was pretty shocked to have heard this from an 11 year old... I mean I think my equipment is just fine. Who cares if it's from the stone ages as long as it takes good pics, right? :dunno

But now that I'm sitting here going through some photos that I've developed I think it would be pretty fun to try out something new. So I've decided to buy a digital camera. There's only one problem... I'm pretty... ummm... let's just say I'm "slow" when it comes to digital. :scratch

So my question is this... is there anybody out there that can tell me a little bit about digital cameras so that when I do go to buy one I'm not buying a bad camera?

Your help is much appreciated,
Cher

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Sure thing.

We all cheat like crazy by reading the reviews at www.dpreview.com and www.stevesdigicams.com.

dpreview also has forums organized by camera manufacturer, so you browse around and find out what the issues are with cameras that interest you.

You haven't specified a price range, nor a camera type. We'd need to know that before getting really specific with recommendations. But in general Canon, Nikon and Sony make highly regarded digital cameras.

And read this thread if you plan to buy online.

After you buy your digital camera, read this thread and starting showing us your work!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Or just buy a canon A85 or A95. I dont own a canon other than 2 x 35mm SLR's but i always recon that for a start digital...these are the best bang for buck. They look like they have recently been superceeded so they will be really well priced also. Thats not to say the replacement is any better camera either.

Nice software also.

Have a read
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Thank you for the quick response and the web links. I'd like to find out as much as I can before I go out and spend any money. I have about $700 saved up for a new camera, so I guess nothing over that (at least for right now) and I'm a Canon girl, so I think I might as well just stick with the brand that's always done well for me, but I really start getting confused when the sales guy starts talking about megapixels, memory cards, etc. So if you will, help me out with this... in megapixels, what is good? And what about memory cards? When I hear digital camera talk, it's immediate confusion for me.

wxwax wrote:
    You haven't specified a price range, nor a camera type. We'd need to know that before getting really specific with recommendations. But in general Canon, Nikon and Sony make highly regarded digital cameras.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    I have a Canon A80, my sister has a A85, I also have a 10D, My dad has a 20D, Canon it's a family thing. We love our canon camera's and the A series are great little P&S cameras. The thing to remember with megapixels is the more the better. Specially when it comes to printing large prints. I wouldn't drop below four personally. With memory cards, CF (Compact Flash) Is the standard Canon is using for the A series and it's dSLR's. I'm pretty sure its what that other camera company is using for their dSLR's and I know they were using it for their coolpix cams. I have always used CF and wouldn't switch away from it as long as it is an option.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    Not to stoke the fire here, but you say you had to pack up a lot of your equipment? Meaning you have some SLR system or another with lenses?

If it's Canon or Nikon, both have digital SLR's at the "entry" level. You could pick up a used dslr body for the price range you're talking about. Digital rebel bodies, second hand are going for less than $700 all the time.

ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    Cher,

I agree with Erik. While reading your post, four words stuck in my mind. Equipment, old, heavy, not fun. OK, so that's five words rolleyes1.gif

Sounds like you have an slr already. More importantly, you have lenses for an slr. If so, Erik's suggestion is worth considering. Digital cameras can be limiting. Due to their size and cost. A nice Dslr body, using your lenses, might not only be the cheapest way to go. It will also give you the best image quality and most flexability. But beware. If you do go this route, as you get more and more skilled (and discerning) you may want better, or wider, or longer lenses. If this happens, the cost of the camera body is only a drop in the proverbial bucket mwink.gif

Let us know more and we can give you more suggestions. Like what do you shoot? Do you work with your film images on the computer? Do you have any problems with the idea of processing most of your images after the fact using software? Do you need a small camera (fit in your purse size)? Or are you more concerned with the best results?

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    Hey Doc, Thank you for the good idea! I think just buying the body is an excellent way to go.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    Cher,
    But beware. If you do go this route, as you get more and more skilled (and discerning) you may want better, or wider, or longer lenses. If this happens, the cost of the camera body is only a drop in the proverbial bucket mwink.gif

Let us know more and we can give you more suggestions. Like what do you shoot? Do you work with your film images on the computer? Do you have any problems with the idea of processing most of your images after the fact using software? Do you need a small camera (fit in your purse size)? Or are you more concerned with the best results?

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Steve
    Steve,
    First, thank you for the welcome 1drink.gifI've been doing photography since I was 10 years old and I have collected many good lenses that I'm sure would fit on a digital body, so I might not have to worry too much about lenses.

As far as what I shoot, I love landsacpe and I often head over to the beach to take pics of the surfers. I'm not to much into taking pics of people unless it's with my point and shoot, but I still love doing that as well (you know... memories). I really haven't done much with my pictures on the computer. I've been old school for so long that if I want sepia, I'll do it in the lab or if I want selected objects colored in my photos, I'll actually color it in myself. I think the process is fun, but I'd love to try doing these things on the computer. Do you have any software suggestions? I'm far from a pro photographer, but It's definitely a passion that I have and my pics actually aren't half bad.

Thank you for your help 1drink.gif
    Cher
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 16, 2005
    Steve,
    First, thank you for the welcome 1drink.gifI've been doing photography since I was 10 years old and I have collected many good lenses that I'm sure would fit on a digital body, so I might not have to worry too much about lenses.

As far as what I shoot, I love landsacpe and I often head over to the beach to take pics of the surfers. I'm not to much into taking pics of people unless it's with my point and shoot, but I still love doing that as well (you know... memories). I really haven't done much with my pictures on the computer. I've been old school for so long that if I want sepia, I'll do it in the lab or if I want selected objects colored in my photos, I'll actually color it in myself. I think the process is fun, but I'd love to try doing these things on the computer. Do you have any software suggestions? I'm far from a pro photographer, but It's definitely a passion that I have and my pics actually aren't half bad.

Thank you for your help 1drink.gif
    Cher
    Photoshop CS is the latest and greatest standard. But very expensive. Photoshop Elements is more consumer oriented and from what I hear, the newer versions are actually quite powerful. Go to www.adobe.com and check out their digital imaging products. There are others out there, but just check around here and you'll see Adobe has a pretty good grip on this market.

BTW, shameless plug: if you shoot Canon, I'm selling my Digital Rebel body. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Cher,

Sorry, lost track of your thread.

I think Eric has it right. First, I'd make sure your lenses are compatible. Then, I'd strongly consider a used dSLR body. Less than $500 will net you a used 300D Digital rebel, and a wee bit more will get you a D60, either in in great shape.

I wouldn't get too worked up about megapixels, unless you like to make really large prints. Both of the above cameras are more than enough to begin with. In their time, they were class leaders. (The D60 went for a scary amount of money!)

Unfortunately, once you're bitten by the digital bug, you start looking for ways to upgrade your camera. Right now, I think the best camera for you would be a 10D or 20D. However, used 10D's still go for more than your $700. Within six months, maybe less, they'll be way cheaper.

Scan the flea market at www.fredmiranda.com to get an idea of what the prices are like.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au