Options

Help!!! Is something wrong with my camera?

shiningstarsshiningstars Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 20, 2007 in Technique
I am trying to figure out if my camera is acting up or if something is wrong with the user- me. I have a Canon 20D! I can take the exact same picture- one in auto mode and one on Manual, exactly the same settings, and the one in Auto looks so much better. The Manual mode turns out much darker esp. when I zoom- I thought it might be my lens, but this happens even with my 50mm f1.8.
My camera has also been doing little things like locking up.
Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Check what that 'auto' mode is doing with ISO.

As for locking up -- are you getting the ERROR 99 and a lock up or something else?

Does the camera hunt for AF endlessly and eventually stop trying in AI FOCUS on M?
  • Options
    shiningstarsshiningstars Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    Check what that 'auto' mode is doing with ISO.

As for locking up -- are you getting the ERROR 99 and a lock up or something else?

Does the camera hunt for AF endlessly and eventually stop trying in AI FOCUS on M?
    Thank you for the help, I feel like such an idiot posting a silly question. The ISO did help but it still is darker on M.
    Some of the time I get the ERROR 99 but most of the time it just won't focus, it sounds like it is stuck. Sometimes I have to shut it off and start it again.
    As for the AF, I don't recall it doing that.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    99 = in for service, if it happens with more than one Canon lens.

Sorry that's happening to you!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    BTW, no such thing as a silly question.

Keep shooting, keep posting!
  • Options
    enriqueenrique Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2007
    Hello Star

I would not hesitate to send the cam back for repair.After calling tech support, lay out the situation as you did here then Document allof the discrepancies if they continue to happen.Write them down exactly as it occured, and what you were attempting to do at the time of the incident.