Options

New SF2 Attempts

DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's getting down to the wire and I'm still not sure I've got anything worth entering. Any input on this new batch would be appreciated. I have one more idea in my head, but would require a lot of setup and an accomplice-not sure my husband is up to modeling for me...:rofl

#1-Flower
184609390-L.jpg

#2-Bird
184610209-L.jpg

#3-Bird having bad hair day (oops, this one's not post processed yet. I'll try to do it tonight, if anyone else thinks it's worth it.)
184610440-L.jpg

#4-Striking a Pose
184610837-L.jpg

These next few are more just for fun than thinking they actually have a shot at being good enough:

#5-I gottcha! (Haven't processed this one yet. Maybe clone out leaves and darken silhouettes?)
184613122-L.jpg

#6-Soak Zone
184612196-L.jpg

#7-Happy Meal (Cut open a bell pepper and the chunk that has all the seeds stuck to it fell out in my hand, revealing the smile face. Don't know that the shot is all that great, but thought the face was a fun surprise.)
184612535-L.jpg

And finally, here's my favorite from my first round of attempts:

#8-Boy with leaves
184606866-L.jpg

Almost forgot this one. (Just took it last night and can reshoot if needed)

#9-Waterfall
184678045-L.jpg

#10-Still not there yet...give up and go home.:rofl

Any suggestions on how to rework them would be great too.
~Debbie~
Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
28-105mm
100-300mm USM
100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes

Any of these for SF2? 25 votes

#1 Flower
12% 3 votes
#2 Bird
0% 0 votes
#3 Bird bad hair day
0% 0 votes
#4 Striking a pose
4% 1 vote
#5 I gotcha
28% 7 votes
#6 Soak Zone
4% 1 vote
#7 Happy Meal
16% 4 votes
#8 Boy with Leaves
0% 0 votes
#9 Water Fall
32% 8 votes
#10 Not there yet...just give up and go home
4% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    #1 or #9 for me
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I like #5, and would like to see how you're planning post processing it. :D
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I voted for number 9, but would like to see what you decide to do about #5. IMHO, you don't need to crop anything out, but either define it or throw deeper into silhouette..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I voted for #4
    but # 9 was a close runner up for me

in fact I am waffling quite close.

Just something about that sea lion that I like. (different)
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I voted for #9. It seems a little dark to me, but that could just have been the weather or maybe that's just me. I also like #1. It seems to me like the center of the flower needs to be slightly higher, so crop a little off the top, but again that could just be me - just a couple of thoughts to ponder...
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I like #1 except for the crop. Other than that, #9 is a nice landscape.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thank you all for your in put. It means a lot to me, I feel so out of my league here. I'm still working on other shots and will probably be editing and snapping until the last minute. *sigh* For now, here's a new version of #5:

184779570-L.jpg

I tried to get rid of the ugly writing on his tee shirt without loosing too much detail in the other areas. I also added some color to the sky. I still want to work on the bird with the wind blown look and try cropping the flower shot. Thanks for the suggestions and opinions everyone.
    ~Debbie~
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    #5 as processed for me. I like the leaves in the picture. It gives context.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thanks Virginia. I'm still not getting that "This is the one" feeling from any of my shots though, so I'm still thinking up (or at least trying to think up) other ideas.
    ~Debbie~
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Ha Ha...Call me a WIERDO...but I LOVE number 7.....

That is totally amazing...I would darken the "happy face" just a little though for enhancement....and do something with the door in b/g..and perhaps a little more crop, and had some lighting....but I think that is an awesome composition.. I think the colors are fabulous and the texture and detail.....Ok So I'm a strange one...but I always look for the different and unusual.

I like number 9 also, but then I'm a big "waterfalls" person, I think it is beautifully presented....lol

Then I like #4...the fact that I can see other seals in the b/g but they do not take over from your main subject....but what I like most about the seal is the black marking...it almost seems as though his/her tears have stained the face, but that seal still has pride and holds its head up..

Ok just my thoughts...Good Luck in whichever you choose!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2007
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I've been so obsessed and feeling overwhelmed trying to come up with something I'd not be too embarrassed to enter.

Here's what I've finally come up with and entered a few minutes ago:

"Broken, Yet Beautiful"
    185366546-O.jpg

Still have a few hours tomorrow before the deadline, so if I've got it all wrong with this entry, I'd love some suggestions.

Thanks again for all of the help and good luck everyone!
    ~Debbie~
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
  • Options
    ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    For what it's worth, I liked #6: Soak Zone (which I see no one voted for... ne_nau.gif) To me, I just find all the others too cliche ("been there, done that").

As I looked down the line of all the photos, the only one that made me stop and linger for a while was Soak Zone. Not only was it an original image that you don't see very often, but the gush of water about to fall on everyone looks almost like a hand reaching out to grab the public. It really drew me in in a way that the other images didn't (the expressions on the people's faces as they're about to get hit by the water are great!)

Anyway, it was my favorite, but as you can tell by the poll, there are about as many favorites as there are people!

Good luck with whatever image you decide to enter!

On Edit: I went back and voted in the poll for #6 so it wouldn't feel so lonely... :D
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    #5 is the most distinctive, but it's badly plugged, so it all depends on how much you can pull out of it.
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Hi, Debbie!

A little late in the game to be doing any major reshooting, and I agree with you that you're not quite there yet.

I voted for #5, as I felt it has the most potential (your edit helped a lot) for a powerful shot. If you can re-shoot this against a more dramatic background, give it a "shot." Screams of glee and welcoming open hands would be helpful, too.

Some thoughts on your other images:
    The flower is far better technically than the butterfly. Nice colors here. I'd be curious to see a composition including more of the flower in the lower right. Do you use a polarizer? It's a must for macro shots with glare on leaves, petals, etc! To improve "connection" with a critter subject, try to catch a front or side view to include its eyes.

Nice lighting and color in #2, but these bird shots have a "snapshot" look. Try a low angle to add more interest - though that may not be possible in a zoo environment. (That the zoo is obvious may be part of the problem.)

I like Soak Zone for the TERIFFIC capture of the momentthumb.gif, though I find myself wanting a better view of the culprit - most likely a grinning dolphin:D.

#7 - cool happy face, but bland lighting. You could try backlight transillumination of the veggies against a dark background with a spot, or snooted strobe.

#8 - maybe you could sell this to Hallmark :D . . . The fence bothers me a bit. I think having his leaf-holding hand visible, maybe with his other reaching for another leaf, would lend something to this image.

#9 - very nice waterfall, though it is cropped too tight for my taste and feels crowded top and bottom.

You seem to have a knack for capturing special moments with the people in your life, and it's challenging to direct your subjects without blowing the mood. I don't have a handle on that yet myself. I hope these comments will be helpful in your future shooting - good luck!

Blessings,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com