Options

B.o.d. 2/18/05

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited February 17, 2005 in Wildlife
Hi you'll

Today's bird is the Anhinga (aka the Snakebird) . I had some great egret shots but I don't want to get Fish's dorsal twisted into a knot.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    The Anhinga's length is 35 incjes and its wingspan is 45-48 inches
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    The anhinga can often be seen with its wing outstretched. Most folks say that it does that to dry its wings after swimming but more accurately its spreading its wings to raise its body temperature that has dropped after being immersed in water
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    The anhinga is an excellent swimmer and willl spear fish with its sharp bill
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    for our non-wildlife pics here's the standard Florida beach at sunrise shot
    Harry
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Great shots Harry, and another bird I have never seen before. I love the beach shot as well, wonderful.

I also noticed that your date has slipped another day, you now seem to be 2 days off....
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    nothing standard about this shot Harry!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Great shots Harry, and another bird I have never seen before. I love the beach shot as well, wonderful.

I also noticed that your date has slipped another day, you now seem to be 2 days off....
    Hey Brian,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I saw that I had messed up the date right after I posted it. I'm a bit frazzled right now. We bought a new car on Friday; today I had two new pcs delivered and I'm trying to get them set up; I had a visiting photographer staying at the house and I was showing him the local hot spots today; and on Friday I have 20 photographers coming down for a weekend shoot at the Wetlands and Merritt Island (some are camping out at my house) and I'm helping to coordinate that. I may have to retire from retirement to get a rest. :D

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Brian,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I saw that I had messed up the date right after I posted it. I'm a bit frazzled right now. We bought a new car on Friday; today I had two new pcs delivered and I'm trying to get them set up; I had a visiting photographer staying at the house and I was showing him the local hot spots today; and on Friday I have 20 photographers coming down for a weekend shoot at the Wetlands and Merritt Island (some are camping out at my house) and I'm helping to coordinate that. I may have to retire from retirement to get a rest. :D

Harry
    So that is why you didn't speak to me after I and the rest of world responded to your last post. You are stretched thin............

How did you get to the gulf, or where ever you are. Those photos, and yesterdays, they do not look like the wetlands stuff. Actually Harry, they are getting better and better. And you are becoming Dgrins master of bird photography. Soon it will be landscapes too.

Great shots again. Can you just drive to the gulf from where you live?

Have a good weekend, can't imagine your schedule. I can't handle the time for one appt anywhere in a day. Crashes me. And not working, it is sooo time consuming for me, and I don't do all you do.

I am glad to learn that about raising the temperature by holding their wings out, I have seen all the different birds do that. I, too, thought they were drying off. So I did learn something. I have seen anhingas, but from a distance.

I am learning that birds, the feathered rats are smarter than I ever knew. And they eat more for their size than Andy. Those fish are something else. Someone did eagles on FM, so I had you and him, quite an education.

I got my extender today, the distance will now go to about 420mm. A small place to put a bird.

You are really doing well. A fast learner......

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll

Today's bird is the Anhinga (aka the Snakebird) . I had some great egret shots but I don't want to get Fish's dorsal twisted into a knot.

lol3.gif

pssst...harry. it's the 16th today. :uhoh
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Harry...
    Harryb wrote:

What are the buildings in the background?
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    nothing standard about this shot Harry!
    Thank you:):
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    So that is why you didn't speak to me after I and the rest of world responded to your last post. You are stretched thin............

How did you get to the gulf, or where ever you are. Those photos, and yesterdays, they do not look like the wetlands stuff. Actually Harry, they are getting better and better. And you are becoming Dgrins master of bird photography. Soon it will be landscapes too.

Great shots again. Can you just drive to the gulf from where you live?

Have a good weekend, can't imagine your schedule. I can't handle the time for one appt anywhere in a day. Crashes me. And not working, it is sooo time consuming for me, and I don't do all you do.

I am glad to learn that about raising the temperature by holding their wings out, I have seen all the different birds do that. I, too, thought they were drying off. So I did learn something. I have seen anhingas, but from a distance.

I am learning that birds, the feathered rats are smarter than I ever knew. And they eat more for their size than Andy. Those fish are something else. Someone did eagles on FM, so I had you and him, quite an education.

I got my extender today, the distance will now go to about 420mm. A small place to put a bird.

You are really doing well. A fast learner......

ginger
    Hey Ginger,

I did respond to everyone who repleid to my last posting. Just took me a bit longer to respond. Thanks for the kind comments about the pics.

I'm about a 2 hour drive to the gulf side so its fairly easy to get to. I'm hoping to get to the Everglades soon.

The extra reach with the 1.4 will be a big help. I shot with another photographer yesterday who was shooting with the 1.4 along with his 500mm and his 800mm lenses. Those lenses were incredible. I was thinking evil thoughts and may have done something bad but there were always witnesses around us. naughty.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Very nice shots Harry, I like the looks of this bird, very interesting. The one of him swimming in the water is nice. Thanks for sharing, and unlike fish I dont care what day it is.rolleyes1.gif

www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Thanks for sharing, and unlike fish I dont care what day it is.rolleyes1.gif

oh c'mon...i'm just kidding him. i love his shots. they're the best damn egret shots i've ever seen. and i'm sure they'll be even better tomorrow too. :poke
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    fish wrote:
    lol3.gif

pssst...harry. it's the 16th today. :uhoh
    That all depends on what time zone you are in. :heh
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    What are the buildings in the background?
    probably condos
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Very nice shots Harry, I like the looks of this bird, very interesting. The one of him swimming in the water is nice. Thanks for sharing, and unlike fish I dont care what day it is.rolleyes1.gif
    Hey Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not good on dates since I retired because every day is Saturday to me now. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    fish wrote:
    oh c'mon...i'm just kidding him. i love his shots. they're the best damn egret shots i've ever seen. and i'm sure they'll be even better tomorrow too. :poke
    Aaah, I knew you really liked my egret shots (who wouldn't?). rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    When and where do egrets have baby egrets? Are you going to be showing them to us, Harry?

Are they up in the trees and on posts. We have a post off the road off of one of islands, it was a utility pole, but now it is an Osprey pole, because every year the ospreys come back to have babies, around a month from now, I thought?
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Hey! Very nice shots! What lens were you using?

What part of Florida? I used to live in Jacksonville. How I miss the beach and sun!
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    Laughing.gif Harry
    Harryb wrote:
    Aaah, I knew you really liked my egret shots (who wouldn't?). rolleyes1.gif

You're right Harry. We all love your Egret pics and by golly, you definitely do them well thumb.gif Fish is like the rest of use, green around the gills cuz we don't have any Egret shots that compare :uhoh But, then again, everyday isn't Saturday for most of us rolleyes1.gif

Love this series too. A very nice looking bird. With it's wings spread it kind of resembles a white breasted commorant. But it has way nicer tail plummage.
    Like the sunset too clap.gif Until you replied that those buildings were condos, I thought it was a city skyline. Nice, either way :):

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    When and where do egrets have baby egrets? Are you going to be showing them to us, Harry?

Are they up in the trees and on posts. We have a post off the road off of one of islands, it was a utility pole, but now it is an Osprey pole, because every year the ospreys come back to have babies, around a month from now, I thought?
    ginger
    Hey Ginger,

The egrets don't have any one time for breeding. The Great Egret breeds in Florida from March through August and the Snowy from January through August. They hang out im heronries with other egrets, herons and ibisis. Their nest are usually in trees (10 feet up for the Great egrets and 30 feet up for the Snowy Egrets).

Since these trees in my area are surrounded by water which is inhabited by snakes and gators I would not expect many pics from me. Now if you all want to chip and get me a 800mm lens (I'll buy the TC) I might be able to get you all some pics. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    John
    JohnR wrote:
    Hey! Very nice shots! What lens were you using?

What part of Florida? I used to live in Jacksonville. How I miss the beach and sun!
    Hey John thanks. I was using my 80-400 VR for these shots.

I live in Viera on the Space Coast on the Atlantic side. Just a tad south of Cape Canaveral
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Steve,
    You're right Harry. We all love your Egret pics and by golly, you definitely do them well thumb.gif Fish is like the rest of use, green around the gills cuz we don't have any Egret shots that compare :uhoh But, then again, everyday isn't Saturday for most of us rolleyes1.gif

Love this series too. A very nice looking bird. With it's wings spread it kind of resembles a white breasted commorant. But it has way nicer tail plummage.
    Like the sunset too clap.gif Until you replied that those buildings were condos, I thought it was a city skyline. Nice, either way :):

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    Hiya Steve,

I know it must be rough on you all who are still .... working :cry I need a moment to collect myself here. What a horrible concept. :hang

The Anhingas and Great Comorants look a lot alike. The easiest way to tell them apart is that the Anhinga has a longer bill. Thanks for stopping by.
    Harry