Options

Broken Promises

CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited February 16, 2005 in Holy Macro
Took this shot for another photo contest. The theme was "Pain".

My s-son was my "model" and it was taken in the corner of my living room. No light except for a spotlight my hubs was holding LOL. Cheap, yet did the job.

Used my B/W feature; ISO 100; sharpness up; no flash.
Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    yikes! I hope you had a fire proof recepticle nearby. eek7.gif
    Nice shot.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    Took this shot for another photo contest. The theme was "Pain".

My s-son was my "model" and it was taken in the corner of my living room. No light except for a spotlight my hubs was holding Laughing.gif. Cheap, yet did the job.

Used my B/W feature; ISO 100; sharpness up; no flash.

Nice shot. It's always important to teach them how to be pyromaniacs early. nod.gifthumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Laughing.gif Thanks guys!

I had a bucket full of water about 2 feet away from him. I had to use two pictures to get this shot the way I wanted it. He kept throwing it in the bucket, so I'd dry it off and reuse it.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    Very interesting and creative composition. Might be nice to see a selective color version also (the flame). Just a suggestion.

If that was me at his age, that would have been one of my report cards being burned.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Cosmic, very nice shot! Full of emotion!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    How?
    David_S85 wrote:
    Very interesting and creative composition. Might be nice to see a selective color version also (the flame). Just a suggestion.

If that was me at his age, that would have been one of my report cards being burned.
    What program do you use to achieve this effect? I would LOVE to learn how to do this! I use PSP7, and can't seem to find it. Any hints and tips?

Thanks for the comments all :):

~Heidi~

• Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    How to do it with PSP7
    Cosmic wrote:
    What program do you use to achieve this effect? I would LOVE to learn how to do this! I use PSP7, and can't seem to find it. Any hints and tips?

Thanks for the comments all :):

~Heidi~
    I use PSP7 also (haven't ponied up for 8 or 9 yet - might just go for PS CS next time with Corel owning the product now :cry ).

The easiest way is to select something in the shot with freehand lasoo or another method that makes sense for the subject item. In this example, I used multiple select for the various pieces of cheese. I also used a feather of 1, since its such a small image.

Then Selection > Invert. This sets the image ready to convert all else but the selections to whatever you want to do - in this case, that would be to make it B/W.

I usually use the Color Mixer tool to convert to B/W so the image is still 24-bit when finished. This also allows for personal tonal interpretations. Check the monochrome box, and play with the values. The numbers should roughly add up to 100 to preserve proper image brightness.

When done with the conversion, Ctl + D to deselect (or use Selections Menu).

I should mention that you should always work on a duplicate of the image to not accidently overwrite the original. There's plenty of more elegant methods and steps to make selective color (layers and such), but this is probably the easiest way to first learn it.

cheese1.jpg
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    And a finished version...

cheese3.jpg
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I should mention that you should always work on a duplicate of the image to not accidently overwrite the original.
    And, if I may add... I always make all JPGs, once moved to me machine, R/O (read only). This assures that I'll never overwrite the original.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    Thank you so much! That really helps you have no idea Laughing.gif. I've been wanting to experiment with variations like that for so long. I knew I had to use the freehand select... I just didn't know how to keep one thing coloured while putting B/W the rest. Thank you soooooo much! iloveyou.gif

Laughing.gif ooo I know about making copies... Let's just say I've done that a few times to learn my lesson xD

I'll try it out tomorrow and post it again so you can see what it looks like :)

~Heidi~

ETA: I just realized that I took this shot with my B/W feature... so unfortunatly, no colour shots. hrmph. I guess I'll have to wait for another shot to experiment with this! :P