Options

A young shooter catches up to the pack

Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited August 21, 2007 in Cameras
Well, I've shot film for about 4 years now, and I am ready to get a dSLR. For the past 2 years after discovering this site from a friend I am pretty deadset on getting the Canon Rebel XTi rather than the 30D because price and also Canon rather Nikon / other brands because:

-lens options (L, IS, long list of lenses with different ranges)
-Noise control at high ISO
-Know another shooter with lots of Canon experience (great insight and help for me)
-Full frame in the future:lust

There has been one thing I've been having a little trouble finding. Have there been many bugs with new XTi's? I am getting a new kit from Ritz for $799 which appears to be a good deal from the looking I have done but just don't want what I think of Canon and my entrance in to the dSLR field to startt off on the wrong foot.
I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I'd personally get a black body only kit from somewhere online like B&H ($640). Save youself some tax and ditch the kit lens. Put that extra $200 (you'll be paying $52 in tax) into something else like a grip, flash, or a lens you'll probably keep around for a while like a 35/2 or some other mid range zoomer.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    The thing is, though, I'm relatively strapped for cash.
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I'd personally get a black body only kit from somewhere online like B&H ($640). Save youself some tax and ditch the kit lens. Put that extra $200 (you'll be paying $52 in tax) into something else like a grip, flash, or a lens you'll probably keep around for a while like a 35/2 or some other mid range zoomer.
    I gotta agree with this. Purchase from a reputable on-line store (B&H, 17th Street, Adorama, for example). Buy only the body, make it black (for lots of reasons). Take the money you save over the purchase price of going with Ritz, and go for one or more of the following:
    • Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    • Canon EF 50 f/1.8
    • Canon EF 50 f/1.4
    • Canon EF 85 f/1.8
    • Sigma 30 f/1.4

You will, I believe, be kicking yourself in short order if you settle for the kit lens.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 20, 2007
    You will, I believe, be kicking yourself in short order if you settle for the kit lens.

15524779-Ti.gif with Scott's suggestions. There is a world of difference between the kit lens and, say, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    The thing is, though, I'm relatively strapped for cash.

All the more reason to dodge the $52 in tax you would pay at ritz. That tax money represents a flash card. The other $150 extra you'll save from not getting the kit lens will nearly buy a different better lens.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited August 20, 2007
    Trevor,

I "strongly" suggest you look at the Canon 350D/XT. Compared to the XTi, you don't give up much, but you save at least a couple hundred dollars.

It is OK to buy the camera with the "kit" lens, as long as you understand that the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is pretty soft wide open and built very, very cheaply (so it will break very easily.)

At the wide end and stopped down to f5.6/f8, you can do some nice things with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371191-REG/Canon_0209B003_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371189-REG/Canon_0209B001_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html

For portraits and low-light, get the EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Any money leftover should go for a decent flash. For right now, the Sunpak 383 Super is a fine "auto" flash that is not too expensive, but still offers tilt and swivel so you can use bounce techniques.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52799-REG/Sunpak_0383_383_Super_Auto_Flash.html

If you purchase all of these components, shoot RAW for the critical stuff, learn how to use light and exposure, learn how to process the images to their respective best, you will achieve results that you can be very proud of (... and you will be within your budget if I figured correctly.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Good points you guys. I guess after I shot with a 30D with my friend and got used to the large LCD I didn't even think of getting a XT cause of it's size. But with that extra money... :D

Okay, so I found a Rebel XT black body for $ 479.95, So I have a good more to spend. So far what I'm thinking of getting woiuld be
    Link The EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Autofocus Lens (imported)
    Link The EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III Autofocus Lens (USA)
    Link The Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens (imported)

Should I stay away from imported?
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    BTW, I agree with the previous comments about the Tamron 28-75mm, f2.8. It is a great value and would make a good match for either the XT or the XTi.

My first lens in that general range was the Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-f4.5 USM, which has served me pretty well, but the Tamron 28-75mm is a bit better. I may one day upgrade.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Have you considered a used body? I've seen some 350D for about $425 range and maybe lower.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Good points you guys. I guess after I shot with a 30D with my friend and got used to the large LCD I didn't even think of getting a XT cause of it's size. But with that extra money... :D

Okay, so I found a Rebel XT black body for $ 479.95, So I have a good more to spend. So far what I'm thinking of getting woiuld be
    Link The EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Autofocus Lens (imported)
    Link The EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III Autofocus Lens (USA)
    Link The Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens (imported)

Should I stay away from imported?

The choise of US warranty vs imported (no warranty) is yours to make. I tend to buy the US warranty for big ticket items, but not for the smaller ticket ones.

I always suggest the EF 50mm f/1.8 II because it is such a good value, and so versatile.

If you could swing both the Tamron 28-75mm, f2.8 and the nifty-fifty, that would give you a nice starting kit.

Don't forget about the flash. For indoor work and outdoor fill light, a flash is invaluable. (I have over a dozen battery powered flashes that I use in lots of different ways.) A controlled flash can easily make the difference between a snapshot and something to be proud of.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Is the tamron f2.8 constant I assume?

So the totals come to:

Rebel XT: 479.95
    Tamron: 379.00
    Nifty Fifty: 79.95
    SanDisk CF 2GB: 39.95
    shipping: 15.85
    TOTAL: 994.70

Well, it's somewhat more than I was hoping to spend but it's more versatile and higher quality than the kit I was going to be buying (or at least that's my take on it).
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    The XT seems to overexpose stuff a lot more than the XTi does. The XTi's larger screen is VERY nice, the functionality if refined on the XTi, the focus system is better, there's improved buffer on the XTi, and the camera will not erase any images in buffer if you turn off the camera/open the cf door. Those are just some reasons to use the XTi. Each one isn't really a huge difference, but I think that together it makes it worth it to get the XTi. The XT is still a fine camera in its own right.

imported vs us... Canon will warranty any Canon lens no matter what its listed as. They are all made in Japan. Bodies are different, and you want to get a USA body if you want it covered by warranty.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Is the tamron f2.8 constant I assume?

Yes it is a "constant aperture" lens. More importantly, the f2.8 is usable and fairly sharp and that is important.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_28_75.html
    http://photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=187&sort=7&cat=43&page=1
    ziggy53
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    You're probably anxious to buy (aren't we all!) and you have been given some great advice about lenses. Canon just anounced the release of the 40D and there will be lots of upgrading going on around the forum soon (it's tentatively scheduled for Sept. 20th at Amazon). You might want to wait for a good deal on a used camera so you can invest in the glass that will ultimately make you happy. :D
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    The XT seems to overexpose stuff a lot more than the XTi does. The XTi's larger screen is VERY nice, the functionality if refined on the XTi, the focus system is better, there's improved buffer on the XTi, and the camera will not erase any images in buffer if you turn off the camera/open the cf door. Those are just some reasons to use the XTi. Each one isn't really a huge difference, but I think that together it makes it worth it to get the XTi. The XT is still a fine camera in its own right.

This really makes me want to get a XTi and just spend even more than I really wanted to.umph.gif
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

• Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    thats not second hand info... I own both an XT and XTi... and have put them through hell and back. The XT has around 57,000 shots on it... and the XTi is up to about 39,500 after this past weekend. Well I won the XTi, but both have made their value back a couple times over each. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 21, 2007
    Personally, I think that buying Canon because of full frame in the future is a bit of nonsense. I started out with an Olympus E-1, and when I got tired of its slow focusing, I went for the Canon 1D Mk II N. Not full frame, but never mind. The thing is, I didn't lose that much money in the transition from one system to the other, (I'd say I lost about 10% compared to buying a low-end Canon in the beginning and then switching to 1D) and I'd have to buy all new lenses anyway, because full frame cameras are VERY picky when it comes to lens quality. In other words, as soon as you buy a full frame camera, the lenses become the weak link.
    Other than that, just about every other entry-level camera in the market offers more for the money than Canons. Get something with IS on sensor, so you don't have to lust after those ruinously expensive IS lenses later, and unless you're shooting low light sports, it'll serve you better than that extra stop or so of high ISO performance that Canon provides.
    Take a look at this overview, it might help you decide.
    (Note to moderators - this is a link to my site. If I'm breaking a rule, feel free to delete it, I don't want to cause trouble.)
    Personally, I'd get an Alpha or the Pentax K100D, though the Pentax is - in my opinion - more of a photographer's camera than the Alpha.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I agree that chasing the Full Frame grail is silly. I keep having to ask: full fame in relation to what? Even the 5D and 1Ds bodies are crop compared to my Mamiya, and that's crop in comparison to the RB67 Mamiyas, Hassys, and any LF camera you care to name. deal.gif

However, the other three reasons the OP gve are good ones (high ISO performance, lens selection, and Canon-shooting associates which means knowledge and loaner gear).

Now, for what to get. KEH has XTs for $349 (BGN rated, but that's like "mint" on ebay). The Tamron 28-75 is the same price there new (no used ones currently). THey have both Mk I and Mk II 50/1.8; the Mk I is $179 (ouch), and the Mk II is $73.95 new or $62 EX (may as well be new). That's $790, plus shipping. Then a SanDisk 2MB from Amazon is $27.82 (no shipping charge :D). So now at $817 plus sihpping--even at $25 (which is way high), you are still $152 to the better.