Options

I have about had it.

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited August 20, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just had a brand new client's relative place their first order (order 362176), and it was four 4x6es, at 0.29 each. I think I am going to lose it!

I logged out and looked again at this gallery, and sure enough, 4x6es are 0.29. But 5x7s and on up are the right pricing. I look like a complete fool to my client. What am I supposed to tell them now? That whoops, I don't sell 4x6es? Or whooops, now your order is $32 when it WAS $1 something?

And yes I emailed the help desk, and I'll wait patiently for my email response (since I can never actually just TALK to someone). I am so frustrated with the email help desk system, because I have to repeat myself over and over and over again for them to read what I'm saying, and look at the evidence.

Maybe this will work better.

for the record:
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    This is what the above screen corresponds on the client side.
    Ordering screen.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing what I did wrong.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ordering screen.jpg

Hi Lynne, standby, I'm researching your gallery pricing right now. I also answered your email from the help desk.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ordering screen.jpg

Hi Lynne,

Here's the scoop.

Your portfolio pricing:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070820-162949.jpg

Your gallery pricing for that gallery:
    Notice, you've overridden portfolio pricing on 5x7s and more, but not for the 4x6 Lustre. So, the way it works, is we then look at your portfolio pricing, which is set up to have .29 cent 4x6 Lustres (see first screen grab).

the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070820-163153.jpg

So, what you'll want to do, is fix your portfolio pricing, or, if you want those 4x6s to be at .29 cents, then you must also override them with your gallery pricing, as you've done with 5x7s and other sizes for that gallery.

More on our pricing, here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing

Does this help explain things?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    I do appreciate your reply Andy, and have reworked my portfolio pricing.

But I still don't see what this has to do with my portfolio prices. Just because I am not selling a product, that doesn't mean it should default to portfolio. Gallery is supposed to override portfolio, right? I chose gallery. That should be the end of it. I don't want it to default 4x6es to my portfolio prices, because I don't want to sell them.

ETA: I went in and again entered 0.00 in the 4x6 field, saved it, and it erased the zeros, looked identical to the screenshot I originally posted. BUT then when I logged out, it did do away with 4x6es in the ordering/client side.

The 4x6 window was blank both times after saving, yet yielded two VERY different results. That is misleading!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    All your portfolio prices will flow down and fill in any blanks in the gallery pricing. Same with gallery prices flowing down to individual photo prices. You have to enter zero for items not for sale on the galley or photo level if the portfolio has a price. Ya gotta stop that flow down.

Clear as mud? I wish that at each level, gallery and photo they had a column for "price that applies"
    or "flow down price".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    The 4x6 window was blank both times after saving, yet yielded two VERY different results. That is misleading!

It's not for sale because you entered $0 for the item, which is what we say on our help pages. I wish I had a different answer for you, I'm sorry.

Is it all clear now?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It's not for sale because you entered $0 for the item, which is what we say on our help pages. I wish I had a different answer for you, I'm sorry.

Is it all clear now?

Not really. I copied this set of pricing from another gallery, and that gallery had lots of empty fields. Are you saying that when I "use pricing from XX gallery", I still need to manually enter zero in all empty fields, again?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Not really. I copied this set of pricing from another gallery, and that gallery had lots of empty fields. Are you saying that when I "use pricing from XX gallery", I still need to manually enter zero in all empty fields, again?
    Yeah - because the previous gallery has non-zero amounts in certain products, too.

ANY product you don't want to sell, has to have $0 in it.

Set your portfolio pricing to be your standard "rack rate" is another option?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah - because the previous gallery has non-zero amounts in certain products, too.

ANY product you don't want to sell, has to have $0 in it.

Set your portfolio pricing to be your standard "rack rate" is another option?

Yeah, I reset my portfolio pricing, as a failsafe. I guess I just didn't understand why portfolio applied at all if I set prices by gallery.

Thanks Andy.
    Canon 5D MkI