Options

Canon 580 Flash

Primo-PhotoPrimo-Photo Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 17, 2005 in Cameras
I think of purchasing the Canon 580 flash. Is the performance of the 580EX noticable better over the 550EX?

With the the 580 flash mounted on the camera, will it fire the 550ex or do I need to purchase the transmitter kit ST-e2?

Thanks for the info....

Primo-photo.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 16, 2005
    I think of purchasing the Canon 580 flash. Is the performance of the 580EX noticable better over the 550EX?

With the the 580 flash mounted on the camera, will it fire the 550ex or do I need to purchase the transmitter kit ST-e2?

Thanks for the info....

Primo-photo.com

The 580EX has the new ETTL-II settings if you are shooting with a body that supports them - eg a 20D or the newer 1series cameras. The ETTL-II has more sophisticated flash exposure control and has received good reviews by users here. I use both flashes, but if pressed, I prefer the 580ex. It is a litle more powerful also than the 550ex.

The 580ex on your hot shoe will trip the 550ex or the 420ex as a slave. It will even trip the photo sensors on studio slaves. thumb.gif

The ST-E2 Infrared transmitter kit is for when there are a lot of flashes going off ( think photojournalism or fashion runways ) and you do not want your slaves tripped by someone else's flash.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    As the guy who sees a zillion prints coming through smugmug under all kinds of conditions, I'm starting to get grumpy about the combination of Canon flashes and Canon cameras. Infrared filtration is so poor with them that fair-skinned people with blood vessels close to the surface and little pigmentation can just look awful.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    As the guy who sees a zillion prints coming through smugmug under all kinds of conditions, I'm starting to get grumpy about the combination of Canon flashes and Canon cameras. Infrared filtration is so poor with them that fair-skinned people with blood vessels close to the surface and little pigmentation can just look awful.
    Is that the fault of the flash or the camera? I haven't seen that problem, but then again, I'm not sure I know any fair-skinned people with blood vessels close to the surface and little pigmentation. eek7.gif I'll have to be careful next time I see Johnny Winter.

FWIW, I'm in week 2 of perhaps a 4 week wait while Canon fixes the loose thingamajig that was rattling around in the head of my 580EX. :bluduh
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm with Fish, can you explain this better? I've been nothing but amazed with my 580 and how much more alive and less washed out people look (in comparison to onboard flash).

As for original question, the 580 is "wickid smaat", it can control just about all the canon flashes. I know a few people who save money by going all 550ex for slaves and just the one 580 for it's brains as the master.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]