Options

Costa Rica Part 5 - Cahuita

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited August 21, 2007 in Journeys
Photos for this post can be found here : http://prezwoodz.smugmug.com/Central%20America

unfortunatly I lost my last host and going back and re-editing all the posts would take a super long time!

Our last city stop on the trip before going back to San Jose is Cahuita. We wanted to make sure we got to the Caribbean and the book said some great things about Cahuita. We were also thinking about Puerto Viejo but heard that you could see a prostitute doing sexual acts and snorting a line all at the same time on the beach, not quite what we were looking for.

The wildlife decided to come into the room as I found this guy in my bag.
costarica045.jpg

The view out our $20 room. Caribbean directly in front and complimentary hammocks.
costarica046.jpg

A little late on the sunset picture but it was a great sight. This is of Playa Negra where the sand is Black.
costarica047.jpg

While in Cahuita we visited the Sloth sanctuary. It was one of the most incredible coincidences of the trip I think! We ended up getting to talk to the owner of the whole sanctuary (100 hectacres) and he was telling us about how he bought the land. He said he got the money being a cab driver....in Anchorage! He was cab #25. Incredible.
This was one of the Sloths who couldn't be returned to the wild because of injury.
costarica048.jpg

Okay these are some really cute little ones, I have to admit. These are two baby sloths that will probably never be released into the wild but should live a good life at the Aviarios Sanctuary. They were cute and not afraid of us at all!
costarica049.jpg

This one wanted to say hi as I took the picture. Don't they have little ferret heads?
costarica050.jpg

They had large claws but were completly gentle.
costarica051.jpg

Say hello! This one poking its head out is a 2-toed Sloth.
costarica052.jpg

This is a very awesome 3-toed Sloth called Buttercup. Shes the queen of the sanctuary as she was the first. She would reach out and gently sqeeze your hand as if she was saying hello.
costarica053.jpg

Leaving the sanctuary we got rained on pretty well. Everything around catches water.
costarica054.jpg

After the sloth sanctuary we took a walk through the Parque Nacional Cahuita and saw lots more wildlife including a large Morpho butterfly. I wasn't able to get a photo but it was the largest butterfly i have ever seen. This little guy was not afraid of anyone as he hopped trees and looked like he was going to jump down on me for a sec!
costarica055.jpg

These two jumped around and gave everyone a chance for a photo. They wouldn't look at me if Ihad my camera. It seemed they knew something was amiss!
costarica056.jpg

After a while someone came walking up with a plastic bag in hand. The monkey wanted it so he started crawling up the guy! Finally the guy gave in and put it down so the monkey could properly search it. We should hire these guys for airport security.
costarica060.jpg

An old boat resting ashore with the Caribbean sea crashing behind.
costarica061.jpg

Next stop San Jose!

Comments

• Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Those baby sloths are AWESOME. :D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    great stuff. Thx for sharing
  • Options
    det1racdet1rac Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Also Traveling to Costa Rica
    So my wife and I are flying into San Jose on August 7th, any tips?

My friend gave me the indication that I should not wear any jewelry although I don't have any what kid of precautions should I take.?
    Thanks, Robert
    http://www.RobertCain.info
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
    ATI 4850, 750GB Local drive, 4TB of NAS storage
    Bibble Pro 4.0, PhotoMatrix, PTGui
    Pentax K20D, 16-50mm f2.8, LensBaby 3G, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f.14
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    I stayed in an area that seemed to be considered as downtown. Although it was hard to tell it didnt really have any of the signs of a downtown area other then a busy street. There were people about you didn't really want to walk to closely to but I never had a problem and neither did my friend Sarah. We went out at night a few times also and didn't really have anyone approach us. Although one thing I did notice was that english was not spoken much where we stayed. We walked through some areas of town considered dangerous and again were not troubled.

San Jose itself however isn't exactly the funnest town I have been in. We didn't enjoy it much but thats coming from someone who dosent like towns in the first place. :)

When you are in San Jose the mandatory thing to do is see the crafts market. It can be hard to find because it looks like just a little hole in the ground but its really quite large with lots of good cheap stuff.

I guess my main recommendation is get out of San Jose asap and see the rest of Costa Rica which is much more beautiful and entertaining. There are so many incredible things to see and do in Costa Rican nature its really a shame to spend to much time in any major city. Their bus system is one of the most awesome I have used. Its super cheap to get anywhere by bus around Costa Rica and although it takes a bit to figure out you can ride a bus from one side of the country to the other in usually under $10.

Let me know if you have any more questions. My photos from this area can be seen here now http://prezwoodz.smugmug.com/Central%20America
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I stayed in an area that seemed to be considered as downtown. Although it was hard to tell it didnt really have any of the signs of a downtown area other then a busy street. There were people about you didn't really want to walk to closely to but I never had a problem and neither did my friend Sarah. We went out at night a few times also and didn't really have anyone approach us. Although one thing I did notice was that english was not spoken much where we stayed. We walked through some areas of town considered dangerous and again were not troubled.

San Jose itself however isn't exactly the funnest town I have been in. We didn't enjoy it much but thats coming from someone who dosent like towns in the first place. :)

When you are in San Jose the mandatory thing to do is see the crafts market. It can be hard to find because it looks like just a little hole in the ground but its really quite large with lots of good cheap stuff.

I guess my main recommendation is get out of San Jose asap and see the rest of Costa Rica which is much more beautiful and entertaining. There are so many incredible things to see and do in Costa Rican nature its really a shame to spend to much time in any major city. Their bus system is one of the most awesome I have used. Its super cheap to get anywhere by bus around Costa Rica and although it takes a bit to figure out you can ride a bus from one side of the country to the other in usually under $10.

Let me know if you have any more questions. My photos from this area can be seen here now http://prezwoodz.smugmug.com/Central%20America

Great! Much appreciated your help! Now I dont have to worry about a band of 15 children taking my clothes... ha
    Thanks, Robert
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    keep your eyes out when looking for a cab though. There are some who will flag a cab down for you but want something in return or might just take it. Usually only had this at night.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Ok so I am back and I'd have to say it was pretty kick butt.

I decided to try out some HDR shots let me know what you think:

http://www.robertcain.info/gallery/3265985

186178756-M.jpg
    bob

p.s. thanks for the head up and help!
    Thanks, Robert
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    det1rac wrote:
    Ok so I am back and I'd have to say it was pretty kick butt.

I decided to try out some HDR shots let me know what you think:

http://www.robertcain.info/gallery/3265985

186178756-M.jpg
    bob

p.s. thanks for the head up and help!

Wow that shot is awesome!! Did any of the information help? :)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Wow that shot is awesome!! Did any of the information help? :)
    Much appreciate the praise!

Yes, actually we decided to completely circumvent San Jose altogether.

Besides, we rented a car so once we got to the airport we simply left to La Fortuna to see Arenal. Oh boy what a sight.

What do you have a black berry? your so quick!
    Thanks, Robert
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    hehe no I just happened to be online at the moment. I don't have any type of phone even a house one...guess its cause I don't have a house!