Options

Wedding from 2 weeks ago

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited August 21, 2007 in Weddings
Things fianlly slowed down enough that I'm able to post some pictures from a wedding from a couple of weeks ago.

1. I was warned that the groom was very likely to get emotional when he saw his bride!
180576006-M.jpg

2. Getting himself back under control.
180576336-M.jpg

3. The reception was scheduled to be held very near the swimming pool at a local hotel. When the MOB got there, she discovered that the A/C was not working, the temperature as approaching 95 and so was the humidity. The hotel had to scramble to move the reception to the only room that was available. So, the B&G weren't allowed into the hotel for almost 2 hours. They were so cool about it. She turns to me and asks if we can use some of this time to make some more photographs. Way cool bride!! Here's one while they were sharing a more intimate moment.
180720581-M.jpg

4. Another from the same setting. I couldn't get any better angle on this. To camera right was huge, ugly hotel door and to camera left, the end of the building and the hotel parking lot. Oh, well - you do the best you can with what you have.
180721665-M.jpg

5. Another made while we were waiting for permission to enter the hotel.
183016827-M.jpg

6. She was waiting for all the hub-bub to quiet down. I wanted to get a nice photo of her, but every time I lowered myself to the floor and pointed the camera at her, she would look at the camera and ham it up. So, I ignored her for a moment. Then, I set the center focus point active, lowered the camera to the floor, made a guess for aiming the camera and fired one off. Chimp - nope, not quite right. Correct and fire again and I go this.
180703467-M.jpg

7. From the reception, the first dance.
181879582-M.jpg

8. Bride's reaction to a toast from her mother. Groom was right there to comfort her.
181886189-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Wow scott, some serious emotion you've captured here! right on!

I like the colors and processing on 3, and a VERY creative composition in #5. It looks a teeny bit hot, but I still like it very much.

A breath of fresh air this set, to see the groom so emotionally involved with the day. I've not had a demonstrative couple in a while.

Creative solution to a common problem in #6. 200mm x1.6 comes in handy, too. Either way, it pays to get these shots, because their parents eat them up! My most common reprints are of the flower girl and ring bearer.

#7 is an absolute gem. Fantastic. Are you asking the DJ's NOT to turn down the lights for the first dances? Mine are all super dark and yours look, well, not dark. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Wow scott, some serious emotion you've captured here! right on!

I like the colors and processing on 3, and a VERY creative composition in #5. It looks a teeny bit hot, but I still like it very much.
    This is a free action. It is designed to blur the image, plug the darks, and burn the highlights just a bit. Have to be careful with it as it usually finishes leaving the photo with a pretty bad color cast. I usually do one or two of these per event. Cheap enough, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
    urbanaries wrote:

A breath of fresh air this set, to see the groom so emotionally involved with the day. I've not had a demonstrative couple in a while.
    The last couple or three weddings, the groom has been very much into it. This guy was just a very sentimental softee - I really liked him. I think part of the equation was the fact that she was also about 3 or 4 months PG and that just kinda added to the emotional load.
    urbanaries wrote:

Creative solution to a common problem in #6. 200mm x1.6 comes in handy, too. Either way, it pays to get these shots, because their parents eat them up! My most common reprints are of the flower girl and ring bearer.

#7 is an absolute gem. Fantastic. Are you asking the DJ's NOT to turn down the lights for the first dances? Mine are all super dark and yours look, well, not dark. rolleyes1.gif
    This venue was primarily lit with florescent. There were some tungsten lights (about 25W each) spread around the walls, but not enough to see by. The event coordinator asked me if she should turn off the over-heads. I suggested that it was a very bad idea considering the number people crammed into the room and how dark it would be. So, I had lots of light to work with here.

Other places are usually kin to caves. There, I have to set the ISO high, the shutter low, and bounce a lot of flash power off the ceiling or my Joe Demb diffuser (they actually do work!). When I shoot high ISO, I usually don't worry about the noise too much. I let the B&G know ahead of time that this will be the result and leave it to them to set the lights where they want them. I work either way - no worries.
    urbanaries wrote:

Thanks for sharing!
    Always a pleasure to share with you!
  • Options
    CIBMCIBM Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2007
    Great images.. you really captured the emotions of this day beautifully!
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Ahhh Scott...I would've been emotional too. I love to see people in love. Great series of pictures you got there.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Hey Scott,

Really nice sequence of images and it looks as though you found yourself a fantastic couple to photograph.

Nice work!!
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Scott, those are really wonderful! I love how you totally captured the emotion of the day and didn't go for the typical smily/posed shots. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Scott, those are really wonderful! I love how you totally captured the emotion of the day and didn't go for the typical smily/posed shots. thumb.gif
    Oh, make no mistake - I got a lot of the typical smiley photos as well. The clients expect that. But I would be remiss if I didn't capture such emotion as this. It is these moments that the Bride & Groom will remember and of which they will want to have photos.

Anyway, yeah, I was supremely lucky to have this couple contract me for coverage of their day. The bride had every reason to go totally ballistic, but she was so cool. "Can't get to the reception venue for a couple of hours? OK, lets make some more photos!" Just way cool!
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Wow! Those are beautiful! Put mine to shame.
    Great job Scott!!! bowdown.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    MrsCue wrote:
    Wow! Those are beautiful! Put mine to shame.
    Great job Scott!!! bowdown.gif
    You're kidding - right? I saw your post and your #2 and the re-work of the shot from inside the car are simply wonderful.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    You're kidding - right? I saw your post and your #2 and the re-work of the shot from inside the car are simply wonderful.

Nope I'm not kidding.
    I guess because I have seen all my other shots too they all seem like pretty typical wedding type shots. There wasn't too much emotion at my Niece's wedding. Unless you can count when they were saying their vows and my Niece kept laughing at John's middle name lol.
    Oh and when my son was laughing really hard at everyone on the dance floor doing the "Oops upside your head" dance. I might post that one for you to see :D
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    MrsCue wrote:

Nope I'm not kidding.
    I guess because I have seen all my other shots too they all seem like pretty typical wedding type shots. There wasn't too much emotion at my Niece's wedding. Unless you can count when they were saying their vows and my Niece kept laughing at John's middle name lol.
    Oh and when my son was laughing really hard at everyone on the dance floor doing the "Oops upside your head" dance. I might post that one for you to see :D
    OK - I'll allow it this time.

As for the "Oops upside your head" dance - what's that. I don't recognize the term though there's a good chance I know what you're talking about - just not by that name.

Oh, and don't think I didn't cherry pick this lot. Most of my photos are run-of-the-mill dull as well!
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    OK - I'll allow it this time.

As for the "Oops upside your head" dance - what's that. I don't recognize the term though there's a good chance I know what you're talking about - just not by that name.

Oh, and don't think I didn't cherry pick this lot. Most of my photos are run-of-the-mill dull as well!

Nice to know you take run of the mill type stuff too :D
    I suppose I am my own worst critique.

As for the dance, I'll post it along with the photograph, although the movie isn't mine.

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Wow Scott!! #3 is a killer shot, wow!! All shots are really nice, great work! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Great work. I agree with everyone else, you did an awesome job of capturing the emotion. I love the lighting in #3 and the composition in #5.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Nice job Scott! Fun to see people let their emotions come through! I particularly like the lighting in shots 3-5. Glad to see you are keeping busy shooting weddings....did you finally take the plunge & quit the job, or are you still "dually" employed??? :D
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Nice job Scott! Fun to see people let their emotions come through! I particularly like the lighting in shots 3-5. Glad to see you are keeping busy shooting weddings....did you finally take the plunge & quit the job, or are you still "dually" employed??? :D
    No plunge here - I'm still dully employed. There is no way I can provide the standard of living to which my wife has become accustomed unless I shoot 30+ weddings per year, charging at least $5,000 per event. Not going to happen. Wedding photography is my opportunity to enjoy myself. Besides, if I worked at it that hard, it might not be fun any more.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    3,5,7 do it for me. Not sure if it is what you use, but the virtual photographer plug-in set has a few filters that can give that dreamy high saturation look. They work equally well in monotones, but I have found that the added blur requires a bit of taming. Excellent photos, and particularly good exposures.
  • Options
    BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I quite like number 7 here. But what is that hanging in his belt... a MOBILE?!?!?!?!?!? Not your fault... I just thought that was funny! Ivar thumb.gif
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

http://www.beamcatcher.com/layout/Pictures.html
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    I quite like number 7 here. But what is that hanging in his belt... a MOBILE?!?!?!?!?!? Not your fault... I just thought that was funny! Ivar thumb.gif
    Yep - that's exactly what it is. This was obviously taken at the reception, after they had sat outside or in the limo for about 2 hours while the venue location was changed.

I did, however, council him to be sure to remove the phone before the ceremony. :D

I wonder how many people (bride or groom) have had their cell phone go off during the ceremony?