Options

First Wedding 08/12/2007

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited August 21, 2007 in Weddings
So I posted on craigs list that I wanted to start building a portfolio and getting experience around shooting weddings, events, portraits, etc. Clearly stating my lack of experience... Well I get an email 12 hours later from the bride, Svetlana, asking me to shoot her wedding in about a week and a half from then o.O. We chat on the phone shortly after that and she's still all gung ho for me after seeing some of my shots on my website and the fact that I'll charge her dirt cheap since I've never done this before...

Well phew! First wedding over (and coincidentally second wedding over too, got another offer on craigs list for a wedding on 08/18/2007 that I just shot too but still editing photos on that one, so you'll all have to wait)...

Please give me any and all feedback :)

I shot these with my rebel xti body, 24-105 f4/L is usm lens (small wedding, never needed to use the 70-200) and the 580 ex II flash.

185058638-M.jpg

185049437-M.jpg

185051794-M.jpg

185051523-M.jpg

185052513-M.jpg

185053156-M.jpg

185054125-M.jpg

185057242-M.jpg

185057423-M.jpg

185056243-M.jpg

The rest of my favorites can be seen here:
[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://shima.smugmug.com/gallery/3324939

I'm also just about done uploading the ENTIRE gallery, but that's somewhere else on my site... I took a *ton* of photos (1,000+)

Thoughts for the wedding n00b?
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I bet the bride and groom will be very happy with your photos. You seem to have a knack for capturing emotion, and know just the right time to click the photo. I could "critique" the photos and find things wrong, but I think stuff like that can be easily fixed as you gain more experience.

Capturing the emotion like you were able to, is something that is not so easily learned.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    You have lots going for you here:
    • Capturing the emotion
    • Nice and sharp
    • Getting images of the fun as well
    • Love the animation/expressions in #8. That bride just had to be a ball to work with. So much fun and character!

Looking at your gallery, I really like:
    • #3 - Bride in the mirror. Next time, loose the lamp and the phone. Or crop them out of this one?
    • #11 - the recessional - you did a very nice job of not blowing out her gown!
    • #12 - Love the expression on her face during that kiss
    • #16 - In the car - next time, get one with his eyes either closed or looking at her. This one looks like his attention is not totally on her.
    • #32 is just sweet! Nice capture.
    • #37 - cake cutting. This is a nice angle. Another nice angle is to shoot a little more to one side or the other to get more the "action" in the shot. It also allows you to get a closer shot of the knife in the cake. If you have any control over it, it usually looks nicer if her hand is on top of his - usually ladies' hands are more graceful looking.
    • #41 - this is just too cute. That one will sell!

Here's what I see as targets for improvement in those that you posted here:
    • Most of these images suffer from "targetitis" - just a little bit too well centered
    • Skin tones are all over the place. Some are very warm, some cool, some too much magenta. The guy (who I assume is the groom) is a good example. As are the first two images of the bride.
    • The ring shot - this is pretty well done. Most clients like to see the bride's hand on top as they tend to be more graceful and/or better looking.
    • Image #2 - not a good pose for her - she's not heavy, but the area under her left arm is not flattering.
    • #4 - Her gown is pretty blown. It is sometimes better to shoot this under decent shade than in full sun. If you can't then meter for the gown as this will get you decent skin exposure. Yes, it will plug the black of the tux, but who cares - it's a featureless black jacket.
    • #7 - What's the white behind the flowers?

With reference to the 1,000+ photos. You should not be offering that many to the client. Usually, they are not interested in that large a selection. They look at it and are simply over-whelmed by the volume of photos. They can't make decisions on that number. Something I learned, second hand, from Shay - Interpret the day for them, select the photos based on your vision of the day, and trust your instincts. By way of comparison (FWIW), I can shoot all day lone (14+ hours), return with 1,200 photos and narrow it down on the first culling to less than 400. Another review, the next day, will get it down to a reasonable number (between 250 and 350). The actual number is largely driven by what sort of action took place on the day. A boring wedding will be a lot less. An exciting couple will make the selection a whole lot more work!

Finally, I have to agree with Dee - getting the emotion is the most important part of the job and is not something easily learned. You did very well in that area with this event. Good on you!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Good going Shima!! Congratulations on getting all these jobs, good for you. You'll get experience as you go, and what a grea idea about the Craigs list. What ever it takes. Good shots, and i'm sure bride will love them! Keep shooting clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    ONly thing I can add as a nit is #10 should be fixed for white. It's too blue. Looks like you did a great job for your first time and gained some valuable experience! Congrats on getting two jobs so fast!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com