Options

Rhett Butler not quite a people

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited August 22, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
This is Rhett. Months ago a close friend's mother asked me about possibly doing her youngest daughter's wedding. When I visited, I noticed how old their once handsome bulldog had become. I have thought about contacting her to let me do some portraits of him, but felt awkward and didn't. Yesterday I called her so that I could show her the pictures of the wedding I shot last weekend. She said she wanted to see them, but that she looked terrible because she had been crying about the dog. They will be having to put him to rest tommorrow. I brought the wedding pictures and the camera to her home and captured some final photos of Rhett Butler, the old man himself. He isn't a person, but has been a part of their family since his birth, and will be sorely missed. I hope this forum can live with me posting his portraits here.

181928380-M.jpg

181928874-M.jpg

181928803-M.jpg

181928929-L.jpg

Happy trails Rhett.

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Awwwww, Jeff!! My goodness! What a face, it's Absolutely adorable. I had enough bad news about pets dying lately, give this lady a big hug and i'm sorry to hear the bad news. Thanks for sharing
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    I'm so very sorry to hear about Rhett! My in-laws recently had to put their dog to sleep and my father in law treasures teh photos I took of Woodrow. I'm very sure your parents will treasure these photos, as well. Very nice tribute.
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Aww, so sad! :( LOVE the photos, though. Esp. the last one.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Aww, so sad! :( LOVE the photos, though. Esp. the last one.

By the looks of your avatar I think you might be a dog lover.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    These are nnnniiiiiccceee! I really like #3 - how you have the dog in context with, presumably, his people. Nice.

Having lived with pets most of my life, I completely understand that dogs and cats can turn into people - posting here is cool by me.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    These are nnnniiiiiccceee! I really like #3 - how you have the dog in context with, presumably, his people. Nice.

Having lived with pets most of my life, I completely understand that dogs and cats can turn into people - posting here is cool by me.

Thanks a million.

For #3, The mother and daughter were sitting on the bench talking, and I saw the composition and took it. Only wish I had brought a wider angle lens to be able to give a 5x7 crop on that, but I didn't want to show up with a ton of gear and bags and all so I just brought the camera and the one lens.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Anybody that has a dog, knows that your dog is a person in disguise. They [dogs shhhh] are the ultimate buddy. Their love is unconditional. My deepest condolences for her loss. I have 3 poodles and absolutely love my babies.

I think she will love what you did for her by giving her these photos as a gift.

Good job. Beautiful and handsome fur baby.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Seneca is absolutely right. Puppies are people in disguise, and I'm sorry that the ol' boy has to be put down but he looks like he's led a pretty long, pretty happy life. Your photos are great and I think you did a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    touching series, Jeff! What a fine opportunity to immortalize this well-loved friend. I love #1, it's a very fitting portrait.

Rest in peace, Rhett! :cry
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    Thank you all for indulging me with these. God bless you.
  • Options
    macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    glad you could get some shots for them! They will cherish them. I really like to ones shot from the dog's level. Especially the one with the people in the background.
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    JuliaJulia Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    :cry Thank you for directing me over here... Rhett was so very handsome. You must have seen all of my bulldog pics, and certainly, my special guy Grover, who is most definitely a family member. I have SUCH a soft spot for bulldogs. They are just wonderful creatures.

How nice of you to photograph his final moments... he looks loved, happy, and peaceful. Rest in peace, squishy boy.

Wonderful pictures.

Julia
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I am glad you were able to do this, Jeff. I had a phone message several months ago, from a friend asking me to take pics of her dog that day as she had to have her put down the next day. Unfortunately, I listened to the message too late to actually do the photos. I felt horrible!!!

These are sweet photos.

ann
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    great pics, jeff-

and so fortunate and good of you to get it done-

rhett looked like a pretty neat dog-

so sorry for his family-

it would never bother me to see doggie pics posted on the people board-