edited February 17, 2005 in Cameras
Anyone heard about this?

Sorry, I haven't searched the board much so maybe this is old news.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Looks like I sold mine just in time.

Interesting, be curious to hear more about how it compares to the 20D.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    Most curious is yet ANOTHER new sensor?! why? and why the need for 8mp in the entry level dslr?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Here's what has been brought up so far between the 20D and XT

20D over 350D/XT:

1. 5 vs. 3 fps
    2. 9 pt AF with high-accuracy center cross sensor when used with F2.8 or faster lenses vs. 7 pt AF and no high-accuracy sensor

3. 6 frame RAW vs 5 (or 4 when shooting RAW + JPEG)
    4. 21-23 (depending on spec you read) JPEG buffering vs 14
    4. 1/8000s max shutter vs 1/4000s
    5. 1/250s flash synch vs. 1/200s
    6. 8.2 Mpixel sensor vs. 8.0 (with some other differences probably due to modifying sensor for cost and elimination of circuits needed for higher frame rate readout)

7. ISO 3200 max vs ISO 1600
    8. Magnesium body vs. polycarbonate (with steel subframe?)
    9. 118,000 pixel LCD vs. 115,000
    10. Slightly higher viewfinder mag
    11. More custom functions
    12. Larger capacity BP-511a battery vs. NB-2LH (half the capacity)
    13. Command dial and joystick on back vs. compass-button pad
    14. Secondary LCD on top vs. back
    15. No auto-pop-up flash vs. auto pop-up
    16. Selectable embedded JPEG with RAW vs. one fixed size
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    Well, I am not sure if I need all the differences in the 20D, what I do know is that it is much easier and more intuitive in it's use. That's what I really appreciate.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Its going to retail for $999, why not just fork out the extra $300 and get the 20D?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I thought retail with no lens is 899, no?
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    I thought retail with no lens is 899, no?
    Richard
    With no lens, right, but still thats only $400 difference and you get alot more features on the 20D
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    With no lens, right, but still thats only $400 difference and you get alot more features on the 20D
    Only? :uhoh

50% difference isn't "only"... here on the forum, we're biased. We all know a little already, so we see into the future and can justify the up front jump to 20D. The entry dslr market is still big bucks for Canon, they're doing it right.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Only? :uhoh

50% difference isn't "only"... here on the forum, we're biased. We all know a little already, so we see into the future and can justify the up front jump to 20D. The entry dslr market is still big bucks for Canon, they're doing it right.
    Thats just its a Entry Level dSLR. If your starting out it would be a great camera, but with me shooting hockey and other sports the 3fps just isn't enough, heck the 5fps on my 20D isn't enough sometimes.

Its maybe just me, but I would save for the extra money to get the extra features out of the 20D rather then drop $1K on this camera only to find yourself having to sell it for $600-700 down the road to upgrade to another body.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Thats just its a Entry Level dSLR. If your starting out it would be a great camera, but with me shooting hockey and other sports the 3fps just isn't enough, heck the 5fps on my 20D isn't enough sometimes.

Its maybe just me, but I would save for the extra money to get the extra features out of the 20D rather then drop $1K on this camera only to find yourself having to sell it for $600-700 down the road to upgrade to another body.
    Exactly - for you

The coolest thing about this one, to me :D, is that its even lighter and a little more powerful. Put a good standard 30mm prime on this and you have a heck of a "pocket dslr". Heck, lots of good photogs out there who did great work at one focal length... And a RebelXT with a 30mm f/1.4 is still a heck of a lot cheaper than a Leica Digilux (probably more powerful too, don't know the specs on those beasts).
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Exactly - for you

The coolest thing about this one, to me :D, is that its even lighter and a little more powerful. Put a good standard 30mm prime on this and you have a heck of a "pocket dslr". Heck, lots of good photogs out there who did great work at one focal length... And a RebelXT with a 30mm f/1.4 is still a heck of a lot cheaper than a Leica Digilux (probably more powerful too, don't know the specs on those beasts).
    Lighter is always good, I belive this camera would make a good backup to anyone with a 20D.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, I am not sure if I need all the differences in the 20D, what I do know is that it is much easier and more intuitive in it's use. That's what I really appreciate.
    To me ergonomics were the reason 1,5 year back to choose a D30 over a 300D :D I would definitely choose a 20D over a 350D now! The viewfinder, ergonomics, AF and build quality being the top-most reasons.
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl