>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    I'm very new to this blog format. I just replaced my entry 7 image but the old title remains and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I typed in the new title in this text box and it does come up but I would like to get rid of the old one or replace it with the new one. Help would be much appreciated.
    Laura

I believe after you start editing one of your posts there is a button for Advanced Edit which will allow you to change your title.

Edit: I just checked.... the button actually has the text "Go Advanced".
  • SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I believe after you start editing one of your posts there is a button for Advanced Edit which will allow you to change your title.
    Edit: I just checked.... the button actually has the text "Go Advanced".
    Thanks Pat664422, it worked perfectly, I just didn't think I qualified as "advanced".
    Laura
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    LPS #10 entry #10 - surfers halo
    Would someone please look at my entry and tell me if it is OK? My exif line looks different than the others. I just want to make sure I am "legal" and don't get disqualified on my first try.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Shamguess wrote:
    Would someone please look at my entry and tell me if it is OK? My exif line looks different than the others. I just want to make sure I am "legal" and don't get disqualified on my first try.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Steve,

Your EXIF link looks and works fine... Incredable, awsome shot!!!!!!! by the way...thumb.gif

Winston
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Shamguess wrote:
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Wow. bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    I'm confused guys
    why, when I try to upload my L smugmug file, am I told my file is too large? I've successfully uploaded as a url previous large smugmug pics...sometimes I run into this trouble though. I thought the dgrin site allows us to use our large smugmug files.

any help would be greatly appreciated

amy:)
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    why, when I try to upload my L smugmug file, am I told my file is too large? I've successfully uploaded as a url previous large smugmug pics...sometimes I run into this trouble though. I thought the dgrin site allows us to use our large smugmug files.

any help would be greatly appreciated

\

Amy, are you talking about uploading the picture to your site or to the thread? Currently your entry is showing up as an attachment, which has a limit of 150Kb, regardless of the picture's length and width.

Have you tried getting around the error by replacing "-L.jpg" at the end of your link with "-800x800.jpg"? (If you are indeed trying to link and not upload an attachment.)

Not sure if any of this will help or not since I can't see the error you're getting. ne_nau.gif Hope it does, though.
    edited August 5, 2007
    still struggling
    thanks for responding, llywellyn. yes, I'm not very good at computerspeak or uploading and linking:) yes, I guess I mean I'm having trouble linking my [previously uploaded to smugmug] file to my dgrin response.

when I go to 'manage attachments' (in the dgrin LPS thread) if I upload a file from my computer using browse I end up playing a hit or miss game of getting a file accepted (because of size) to the dgrin thread. I gave up on that approach some contests ago. I've had more success if when I go to 'manage attachments' I paste the pic's url into the 'upload file from a url' field. somewhere I know I've read that dgrin allows smugmug L (large) files to be put into the contest threads. but half the time when I try to upload my url - - for example: http://www.amywilburn.smugmug.com/photos/180556378-L.jpg - - I still get a message saying my file size is too large. (I just tried replacing the -L with -800x800 and I'm still told the file's too large)

help???

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    thanks for responding, llywellyn. yes, I'm not very good at computerspeak or uploading and linking:) yes, I guess I mean I'm having trouble linking my [previously uploaded to smugmug] file to my dgrin response.

when I go to 'manage attachments' (in the dgrin LPS thread) if I upload a file from my computer using browse I end up playing a hit or miss game of getting a file accepted (because of size) to the dgrin thread. I gave up on that approach some contests ago. I've had more success if when I go to 'manage attachments' I paste the pic's url into the 'upload file from a url' field. somewhere I know I've read that dgrin allows smugmug L (large) files to be put into the contest threads. but half the time when I try to upload my url - - for example: http://www.amywilburn.smugmug.com/photos/180556378-L.jpg - - I still get a message saying my file size is too large. (I just tried replacing the -L with -800x800 and I'm still told the file's too large)

help???

Hm, try this link for inserting an image into a post. I believe it's different than "Upload file from a URL," which isn't something I've (knowingly) encountered here.

Easy way to try: edit your entry post, delete the attachment, and paste this (without the spaces):
    [ IMG]http://www.amywilburn.smugmug.com/photos/180556378-L.jpg[ /IMG]

(FYI, I typed the above without the spaces and it embedded your image just fine into my post, no warnings whatsoever.)
    edited August 5, 2007
    thanks
    yay!

thank you, llywellyn :giggle

hmmm, as if struggling with linking and uploading wasn't enough now there's embedding:)

thank you so much for your help

amy
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 6, 2007
    yay!

thank you, llywellyn :giggle

hmmm, as if struggling with linking and uploading wasn't enough now there's embedding:)

thank you so much for your help

amy
    don't struggle, just never attach. yuck, attaching images is bad nod.gif

if you have a smugmug site, there's no reason you should be attaching. there's even a handy button for "insert image" in the reply screen.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited August 6, 2007
    hey folks, I'm kinda settled in here down under and I've picked up my mop again in this forum. :D

gallery of finalists has been updated.
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2605319
    Erik

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    kind of late, but welcome back, Erik!

Jesse
    edited August 16, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    kind of late, but welcome back, Erik!

Jesse
    Thanks Jesse!

Still no internet at our apartment, so I only have time to sneak in for a bit here and there from work. In other words: please don't burn the place down over the next couple weekends! lol3.gif
    Erik

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks Jesse!

Still no internet at our apartment, so I only have time to sneak in for a bit here and there from work. In other words: please don't burn the place down over the next couple weekends! lol3.gif

Well, since you asked so nicely...
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks Jesse!

Still no internet at our apartment,
    Told you no-one does anything in a hurry here.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Told you no-one does anything in a hurry here.

Yes, but he is in Queensland where in most of the State it's still the 1950's. The Internet hasn't even been invented yet....:D
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • EpixpheresEpixpheres Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2007
    Inventing the internet in Australia
    Well then, we must send Al Gore down there to invent it... and to get their toilets to flush in the correct direction!!

Ever hear of Fort Sam Hill???? Probably not, since it is a remote Australian Army site.. but curious just the same.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Right click protection for LPS gallery?
    Having just placed in the top-10 for the first time in an LPS qualifier, I immediately went to the gallery to see my photo amongst the incredible LPS and SF entries. I was a bit surprised to see that these incredible photos weren't right-click protected. As the gallery comments point out, these are incredible photos and likely represent some of the photographers' best works. Just wondering if the gallery should have this small measure of protection added.
    Thanks,
    E
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Having just placed in the top-10 for the first time in an LPS qualifier, I immediately went to the gallery to see my photo amongst the incredible LPS and SF entries. I was a bit surprised to see that these incredible photos weren't right-click protected. As the gallery comments point out, these are incredible photos and likely represent some of the photographers' best works. Just wondering if the gallery should have this small measure of protection added.
    Thanks,
    E

Right Click protection is really easy to circumvent, it's almost like not having protection at all. Not worth the hassle if you ask me, just an added annoyance.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited September 10, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks,
    E
    Our thinking in the past has simply been that this is a non-issue.

It's simple enough to do, but the one thing I worry about is that since it's a Dgrin gallery, we don't want to be responsible for defending the copyright of various photographers' work. Right from the rules, you have given us the photo to use for publicity purposes ONLY. We can post that gallery and flaunt the competition, but that's it. You can NOT buy prints from that gallery, and rest assured, that small version is all we have, we didn't go digging for the Original sizes, if any existed. So a screen grab would be just that, a low-res screen grab.
    Erik

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Thanks Pyro and Doc.
    Appreciate the comments. I realize that this is very easily circumvented. I also don't have this protection on my account (yet) as I am not yet on the pro account. Just thought I would raise the issue to see what others thought. I can understand that you wouldn't want to take on the responsibility of 'protecting' these images.
    Thanks,
    E
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks Pyro and Doc.
    Appreciate the comments. I realize that this is very easily circumvented. I also don't have this protection on my account (yet) as I am not yet on the pro account. Just thought I would raise the issue to see what others thought. I can understand that you wouldn't want to take on the responsibility of 'protecting' these images.
    Thanks,
    E

Thank you for raising this, I think it is a good point. This is another reason for putting your name on your submissions.

You may also notice that finalists' work in the galleries have only their screename listed with no other credit, such as their real name, or link to their website. True, there is a link back to the original entry threads if people want to dig through there, find your entry, then click on your screename to find your website ... assuming they know how.

To quote the rules, "Photos with branding or watermarks will be disqualified, however, a small signature and copyright are encouraged."

My point is that if you are submitting work to be "seen by millions," or maybe thousands, I think it's a good idea to add your name and possibly website to your photo - it's not clickable but at least it's visible - and if it is shared around the net you may get a little free publicity.
  • jeffsullivanjeffsullivan Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Has there been any clarification regarding the judging of photos entered in the Last Photographer Standing contest?

It appears that some of the judges may be prejudiced against landscape photography, making comments like the following:

"It isn't ranked higher, because even though it's beautiful, it's a shot that relys more on nature's beauty than on the photographers creativity or vision."

"Another gorgeous landscape. It makes me want to be there. It's majestic, and I checked, majestic is used in the American Heritage Dictionary's definition of stately. But again, if anyone has mastered the technical ability of taking a perfectly exposed photograph, they can arise at the proper time and take a beautiful shot like this. I really like it, but the contest is in my opinion more about creative expression."

Apparently all landscape photographers do is show up and trip the shutter with the right exposure.

Apparently Ansel Adams was a hack, and his use of filters, his invention of the zone system, and the dozens of hours he spent in the darkroom to modify an image to suit his needs (to produce a realistic-looking, but not real, image) had nothing to do with creativity.

Apparently real photographers, at least real creative ones, sit in front of computer monitors and use the lasso cursor and layers to selectively color something, because that proves that they did something creative. If the same photographer visualised an outcome, composed the scene to emphasize the subject, used 3 hard filters to manipulate the light, combined 3 exposures in HDR while shifting the white balance to affect the mood, merged one fully edited exposure back into the mix via layers to remove the HDR look, selectively sharpened some areas and burned and dodged others to further emphasize the subject, and did this well enough to make it look natural, the natural landscape look alone may be enough to get it dismissed as not creative.

To draw an analogy, by this logic paintings made with hammers might be more valuable because anyone with the technical skill can show up with a brush and paint with that. Using some new gimmicky tool that obviously shows that the painter did something different would clearly show that the painter was creative.

Am I on the right track regarding what the judges are and are not looking for?

My usual processing goal would be to hide the dozens of hours that I spend manipulating my photos (sometimes successfully), but I can spend a few minutes doing something more obvious if that's preferred.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
    Has there been any clarification regarding the judging of photos entered in the Last Photographer Standing contest?

It appears that some of the judges may be prejudiced against landscape photography, making comments like the following:
    Hi Jeff, interesting first post. headscratch.gif

Of course some judges like landscapes better than others, but if you read further, you'll see we have multiple judges, different judges, and different themes in each contest round. Furthermore, we pick the big winners through a combination of judging and open vote.

Forgive me for not addressing your comment more specifically, but we've had the fair/unfair judging discussion so many times, that, well, let's just say it's been many times.

Photography is ultimately subjective, I fail to see how any "prejudice" can be quantified or justified.

thanks for your comments,
    Erik

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    Hi Jeff!
    There are a myriad different tastes out there, and the judging will reflect that. As the Good Doctor mentioned, the judges list is ever changing, so it will naturally vary from contest to contest as to what makes the cut and what doesn't. I don't think there is a person here who has not been at one time or another shocked, disappointed, and baffled by the judging results, however, looking through the gallery of past winners will show a fairly consistent list of high quality photos. So by and large, the judging is currently working. And since there is only ten photos that can make it, there will be very good photos that are passed up that could easily win a contest somewhere else, at another time, or make it commercially.

But don't let that get you down. One of the things you can learn is to deal with failure with this contest and see it for what it is, not an attack on you personally or a specific aspect of art generally, but just a "it didn't work out this time" type of situation. Keep trying, if you let this kind of situation stop you or discourage you, you are missing the point.

As my signature says, failure is feedback, and feedback is the breakfast of champions, and I firmly believe that to be true for everyone. Fail here so you can learn how to succeed later.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    ...I don't think there is a person here who has not been at one time or another shocked, disappointed, and baffled by the judging results...

Uh, most definitely!!
    ...One of the things you can learn is to deal with failure with this contest and see it for what it is, not an attack on you personally or a specific aspect of art generally, but just a "it didn't work out this time" type of situation...

Coming from someone who has NEVER been able to deal with criticism in any area of my life - this has been my biggest challenge and I think will also reap the greatest reward, ultimately.
    Keep trying, if you let this kind of situation stop you or discourage you, you are missing the point.

I remind myself of that about every two weeks :D
  • jeffsullivanjeffsullivan Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Thanks...
    Thanks for the responses. I wasn't actually intending to complain about fairness in judging, I was wondering if there were clarifications made during the past 12 contests that might go further than what was contained in the "rules" post.

I found what I was looking for in great detail in the links included with tonight's #13 announcement: These links might make a useful appendix to the Rule thread for those of us who haven't been following along from the beginning are trying to come up to speed late in the game.

I don't think we need to quantify "prejudice" in order to determine that someone who considers landscapes to be simple exposure exercises might tend to pre-judge them, i.e. not judge them according to a given theme. The question for me was whether the judge's comments indicated that landscapes were not what the contest is geared for, for some thematic or judging reason not disclosed in the rules, and that's apparently not the case (not automatically anyway, although it can vary by judge). I may have gotten distracted by the example I chose, so sorry if I sidetracked the clarity of my question.

As a side note, landscape photographers who do boast about how neutral and unmanipulated their captures baffle me. If Ansel Adams is credited with establishing photography as a creative art when he manipulated his exposure of "Monolith," then visual stenographer types who object to Ansel's manipulative approach specifically reject photography as a creative art. I can't imagine what goes through their minds when a customer pays thousands of dollars for essentially manufactured works.

Subject matter shouldn't paint all artists of that genre with the same brush though. Ansel not only used every trick in the book on pre and post processing, he invented new tricks then rewrote the books, so maybe there's hope for landscape photography as an art in spite of any popular superstitions or misconceptions that may have sprung up around it.

Regards,

Jeff
    http://activesole.blogspot.com/

'I hope that my work will encourage self expression in others and stimulate the search for beauty and creative excitement in the great world around us' - Ansel Adams
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    I would very much like to see a breakdown (anonymously of course) of each individual judges scoring. I think we have a pretty clear demonstration of Arrow's Impossibility Theorem happening here, and happening fairly consistently as well.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I would very much like to see a breakdown (anonymously of course) of each individual judges scoring. I think we have a pretty clear demonstration of Arrow's Impossibility Theorem happening here, and happening fairly consistently as well.

Yes, Arrow's Impossibility Theorm applies to the LPS Judging system and as a consequence the judging system lacks the propery of "indepenance of irrelevant alternatives." What does that mean in English? That if the judges were asked to rank subsets of the entries opposed to the full pool they won't always come up with the same ordering.

What it means in practice is that if the judges were asked to rank just photo #10 and photo #11, sometimes #11 would come out on top. The reason that can happen is that the judges who didn't vote for either #10 or #11 in the full contest are forced to weigh in on the subset and can reverse the outcome. Asking for the judges voting record won't give you what you need to demonstrate this effect because only their top 10 rankings are recorded.

Do you really think this is a big deal in the larger scheme of things? There is no avoiding Arrow's Incompleteness Therom without limiting the judging pool to 2 judges and it seems to me that if we have to pick one of the possible defects, losing independance is easily the best choice.