Options

LPS #11 -possibles, though still early C&C plz?

StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited August 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'd love any comments anybody might have. :ear

#1.
187342915-O.jpg

#2.
187342925-O.jpg

#3. (#2 edited after reply #9, thanks folks!)
188911357-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Both are great, I like the slight selective coloring
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I like them both. I find myself wondering if the second shot would be stronger if centered and the background darkened a bit so the skater and flames pop more.
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I think #2 is great and would think that is the stronger entry choice. I love the expression of the child in the bottom right hand corner.
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Distraction
    Strikeslip wrote:
    I'd love any comments anybody might have. ear.gif
    #2.

The emotional impact of 2 is shown by the kid you mention.
    However, my eye found it hard to find the drama in your image because I had to search for it. After a moment, I did find the 'centerfold', but then my eye again began trying to discern each facial expression.

Would you think a blur on the background faces and some added color might let your skater fly you to an award?

My 2C worth...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I love #2 but the coloring doesn't do it for me. I like the selected stuff, but it doesn't pop enough for me as is.

Jesse
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I like both, but I prefer the first. The skater has greater initial impact but as noted before, there are distractions.
    I like the first because I'm still trying to decide whether the subject has his eyes closed in contemplation or whether there's a face off situation as the people opposite seem to be staring in this direction.

I also quite like your low saturation effect. Sometimes this can err on the side of gimmick but this doesn't.
    Strikeslip wrote:
    I'd love any comments anybody might have. ear.gif

#1.

#2.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I think #1 is the better shot. It makes me think. #2 is terrific capture, but it doesn't have the evocative quality of #1.
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I like the skater shot best, but I find the selective coloring makes it difficult for me to stay focused. My eye keeps wanting to figure out where the "real" action is. Is it the skater? Or is it the people in the background? What if you pumped up the color on the just the skater and the flames and the hoop? Would it seem as if the skater was breaking free from the blandness of his existence to the astonishment of all onlookers?
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments! :D I did some editing on #2, which resulted in #3, reposted in my original post.

I darkened and desaturated the background, but didn't blur it. I like the connection that the skater has with the crowd, and didn't want to lose it. It's that connection which I like in this shot, showing the humanity of "Man", and how we gather to entertain one another with whatever odd talents we have. I think the colour helps separate the skater as the focal point, and the flames are just plain coolio. Thanks again!

I can wiggle my ears! :ivar
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I really, really like the new version. clap.gif People's prejudice against selective coloring be danged. I think it works really well here. And the background darkening is just perfect. (Also like the centered crop much better. :D)
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I'm normally not a fan of selective coloring, but I really what you've done. This is the best example of selective coloring I've seen that I can remember for quite a while. Point, click and ship that baby to the entry thread!
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    #2 ... thumb.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    #3 is it! Great edit there. Love that shot.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    #3 is cool... or hot... hot stunt that is cool or cool stunt that is hot.... hmmmmm...regardless #3
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Like #3...Hot Stuff...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    # 3!thumb.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com