Options

Wedding - First Time - Equipment Question

LTTLTT Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited August 26, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
My dear friends have asked me to take their wedding photos. I have shot two more informal weddings before - but this one makes me really nervous.

I'm prepared to research the genre and play with my equipment for months before the big day. I've already to them that it is important that we communicate what they want to ensure I can capture the right photographs.

I currently use a D70. I have three lenses (18-55, 70-300, 25-80(?)). The 18-55 is digital. I only have UV and macro filters. I do not have a flash yet - I would appreciate it if someone could recommend an affordable one.

I know that it is hard to switch equipment during a wedding since it happens so fast - I don't want to be screwing on filters and switching lenses. Therefore, I was wondering if someone could suggest the basics to work with. If necessary, I will be investing in equipment I need (filters, flash, etc)

I appreciate all your help.

Leann

www.black-rock-photography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Is this your gift to them, or are you charging them?

It doesn't sound like you are ready to take on this responsibility to me. No flash, only one camera body...not good. If you plan to do a wedding, and be the only photographer, you better have back up equipment. You know the old saying, what can go wrong will...

If you don't have a flash now, you will have to do a lot of practice with it before the big day. What about the posed shots? Do you have umbrellas and the required lighting to pull off larger groups...for say the wedding party?

Some friends will ask us (photographers in general) to shoot their wedding, not realizing the task that we would be taking on, not to mention the pressure.

I shoot Canon, so I can't suggest a flash to you, but I will suggest that you give this some serious thought.....I usually say no, because I like to keep my friends. Losing a costumer is one thing, but a friend.....
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2007
    Jeffro - Thanks for your feedback.

Some clarification from your reply -

I am not charging them for this service.

I have access to another D70 to use as backup for the wedding day. This works with all my equipment - I was considering using it as a second camera set up with different equipment. There is also a second friend of their's taking photos so I won't be the only photographer.

I am looking at investing in the additional flash - however, the recommended flash retails for over $600 CDN. I will be acquiring this equipment as soon as I find something that works with my camera.

Thanks again
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    To touch on another aspect, I would research as many wedding photos as possible, for inspiration. And talk with the couple as far as what they want included in the shots. I have a wedding checklist I give my clients before the wedding, they can check off what subjects they want photographed. When I first started in wedding photography, I researched on the internet "180 must take wedding photos" and it helped me make this list to give to clients/brides. Hope this helps too!!
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    The following is meant to help you avoid major bumps in the road - not to tell you not to shoot the event. So, in that spirit, here are some things you may need to consider:
    • Shooting during the wedding ceremony. Usually flash is frowned upon and is never really liked by the guests. Many B&G don't like it much either as it distracts and detracts from the sanctity of the religious ceremeny. So, you shoot without flash.
    • Many, if not most, churches are DARK! and with high ceilings.
    • Shooting without flash in a dark room requires long exposures or fast lenses. You need f/2.8 or better to pull this off. Then, with the long exposures, IS (VR in Nikon terms) is almost a must.
    • Are you going to be able to move around during the ceremony? Many officials will DEMAND that you find a spot and STAY THERE! This means you will likely need a long and fast lens.
    • The formals (the posed shots) will usually require more than a single simple flash. Two or more is the ticket, bounced off good and big surfaces to control nasty shadows. Umbies will work. If you don't have a light stand for these, you are going to need someone to hold the flash(s).
    • The reception will, most likely, be in held in a dark room. This is especially true during the dancing. A flash AND a good fast lens will be required. The fast lens, just to acquire good focus, even though you will probably be shooting at f/4 or less.
    • Flash - there's more to using a flash than simply sticking it on the camera and pressing the shutter button. As I understand it, Nikon flash works more simply than does Canon (I don't know, that's just what I hear), but it will still require a significant amount of practice. I might suggest you find a room much like the one where the reception is going to be held and PRACTICE. You need to practice both static subjects and action. You will need to understand what your shutter speeds need/must be for each type
    • You must be able to change camera settings in the dark.
    The above is just a short list of hurdles that must be overcome to be successful in capturing the moment and goes towards explaining why wedding photograhy is said to be so stressful. Remember, it's a once in a lifetime event - there is no redo. You have to get it right the first time and every time.

On to more supportive advice:
    • Talk to the B&G and be sure that they understand that you are not a professional at this. Get a list of shots that the B&G would like to have.
    • If you don't know both families WELL, have the B&G designate an "Event Guide", someone who does know them all and who will be RESPONSIBLE for getting all the people to the formal shots on time. The EG will also know who must be photographed and who should not be - if that is a concern. The EG will also know who should not be grouped together - such as ex-spouses.
    • Use the internet to research wedding contracts. Plagerize what you find. Get it in writing. GET IT SIGNED.
    • Put together a contract that outlines things. Make sure that it includes phrases that excuse you from liability for missed shots, for bad shots, for loss of images that were captured ... that sort of thing. This will drive home to the B&G that they must assume some of the risk and give you something to protect you from "Why didn't you ...." The contract may not be legally binding, it may not protect you in court, but it may keep the whole issue out of court.
    • No matter that you are shooting this for no cost to the B&G - GET A CONTRACT SIGNED BEFORE YOU SHOOT THE FIRST SHOT.
    • Get the gear you will need well before the event and practice! PRACTICE!
    Finally, when you are there shooting - HAVE FUN. If you are having fun and are excited about the shots you are getting, you B&G will get excited. This will CYA more than most of the above. This is called "managing/manipulating their expectations" and it works!
  • Options
    Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    LLT, Scott gives very good advice. Very good advice indeed.
    Scotty
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Scott,

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate the time you took to help me out.

I spent the weekend researching magazines, websites, and books to learn as much about this style of photography as I can - this will contine until the wedding. I am comfortable with my camera and photographing people in general. However, I found that my nerves were getting the best of me. Your advice is wonderful and will help me prepare for the photo shoot.

Thanks again,
    Leann
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    LTT wrote:
    Scott,

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate the time you took to help me out.

I spent the weekend researching magazines, websites, and books to learn as much about this style of photography as I can - this will contine until the wedding. I am comfortable with my camera and photographing people in general. However, I found that my nerves were getting the best of me. Your advice is wonderful and will help me prepare for the photo shoot.

Thanks again,
    Leann
    No problem. It's stuff I've gleaned from a number of different resources. I've compiled into one lump and just kinda threw it out onto the table for you.

I hope it goes well for you and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the images.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    For a list of extensive wedding photo list also search other wedding photographers sites. I found a couple others and added some to my master list. Have the B&G go through the list and cross out what they don't want, but also let them know that doing each and every one adds time to do them (this way you don't end of with a list of 300 photos, when you have time for 60). If you can't find one pm me and I will send you one.

Plan out the day from the time the Bride and Groom arrive and are getting ready until they finish at the reception. Realize that doing many of the posed images requires a good bit of time. Especially the larger groups. One pose of the B&G and the Brides side of the family can take 5-8 minutes to get everybody together get posed properly (picture balanced, seeing all the faces, etc), then changing to the Grooms side. Also realize that when having pictures with the grandparents, allow some extra time. Many aren't simply able to move to quickly.

Have plenty of memory cards on hand. I suggest using 400 - 800 ISO when shooting most of the images with flash. I will extend the life of the flashes batteries and will recycle faster. Take multiple shots of all the posed images. The larger the group the more, to ensure you get a good one and that the B&G can choose the one they like the best. You will usually get at least one with everybody's eyes open.

Also if the B&G plan to see each other before the ceremony and do as many pictures as possible before the ceremony (once the ceremony is done, everybody wants to be done and go to the reception, I always prefer the B&G to see each other before, usually I have them do a special moment where they see each other for the first time with no one else around), ask to start the photos about 2 hours before the ceremony starts. This gives you about 1.5 hours and like clockwork someone will be late or running behind. At most churches they ask the photos in the church be done 30 minutes before the ceremony so that they can start to seat the guests that will be arriving.

If they don't want to see each other before the ceremony, you can still do some of the formal poses just not of any of those with the B&G together. The B&G then need to realize that you will need time to do all the formals after the ceremony before they go to the reception. All family and wedding party will also need to stay.

During the ceremony you can get away with standing at the rear of the aisle and taking shots from there. Like was mentioned above the many churhes don't want you wandering and "distracting" from the ceremony. The 70-300 will come in handy from the rear of the church (I am assuming this will be in a church). Like Scott said most churches dictate no flash, so shooting at the smallest aperature highest ISO are important here. If you have to underexpose somewhat to get a decent shutter speed do that. You can always brighten a stop or two in post processing.

To get a good feel of the church you should probably attend the rehersal the night before and do some shots then. It also gives you a feel for the family members, time to review the photo list, meet the couples parents, get a feel for the flow of the ceremony, emphasize the time all the wedding party is to be there to begin taking photos, etc.

Just a little bit of feedback. Hopefully you find it useful.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    bham wrote:
    For a list of extensive wedding photo list also search other wedding photographers sites.
    I'm going to chime in again with some more info

You can see my page (here) for a start on a shot list. No need to recreate the wheel - I've already done the googling. The list is presented in an order that makes some sense, especially if the B&G don't want to see each other before the ceremony.
    bham wrote:
    Have plenty of memory cards on hand. I suggest using 400 - 800 ISO when shooting most of the images with flash. I will extend the life of the flashes batteries and will recycle faster. Take multiple shots of all the posed images. The larger the group the more, to ensure you get a good one and that the B&G can choose the one they like the best. You will usually get at least one with everybody's eyes open.
    I once took a family shot with 27 people in it. I took 9 exposures before I was satisfied that I got everyone looking in the right direction and with their eyes open. Some of what will take time with large group shots is that you have to pause between such exposures to get all the attention back on the right spot. A lot of people like to relax and roam the room with their eyes right after the flash/shutter, even though you have warned them before hand that you will be taking multiple shots. Some wedding group shots will have more people in it than that - so be prepared.
    bham wrote:

Also if the B&G plan to see each other before the ceremony and do as many pictures as possible before the ceremony (once the ceremony is done, everybody wants to be done and go to the reception, I always prefer the B&G to see each other before, usually I have them do a special moment where they see each other for the first time with no one else around), ask to start the photos about 2 hours before the ceremony starts. This gives you about 1.5 hours and like clockwork someone will be late or running behind. At most churches they ask the photos in the church be done 30 minutes before the ceremony so that they can start to seat the guests that will be arriving.
    I would love to have the B&G do the formals before the ceremony. So far, I have not yet been able to talk them into it. But, I keep trying.
    bham wrote:

If they don't want to see each other before the ceremony, you can still do some of the formal poses just not of any of those with the B&G together. The B&G then need to realize that you will need time to do all the formals after the ceremony before they go to the reception. All family and wedding party will also need to stay.

During the ceremony you can get away with standing at the rear of the aisle and taking shots from there. Like was mentioned above the many churhes don't want you wandering and "distracting" from the ceremony. The 70-300 will come in handy from the rear of the church (I am assuming this will be in a church). Like Scott said most churches dictate no flash, so shooting at the smallest aperature highest ISO are important here. If you have to underexpose somewhat to get a decent shutter speed do that. You can always brighten a stop or two in post processing.
    Be careful about pushing the exposure too much. Pushing two stops will sometimes yield a LOT of noice in the shadow areas.
    bham wrote:
    To get a good feel of the church you should probably attend the rehersal the night before and do some shots then. It also gives you a feel for the family members, time to review the photo list, meet the couples parents, get a feel for the flow of the ceremony, emphasize the time all the wedding party is to be there to begin taking photos, etc.
    I strongly recommend you visit both the cremony and reception location before the day of the event. If you can, visit the ceremony location at the same time of day so you can get an idea of the kind of light you will have available to you. As for attending the rehearsal, I always make it a point of inviting myself. It's in my contract that I am asking permission to attend - the selling point is that it allows me to better prepare for the way THIS B&G are going to run their wedding = so that I can be in the right spot at the right time to get that "gotta have" shot.
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    mwink.gif
    Hi Leann

I too am a wedding photographer and everything mentioned on this post is valid. You do need a flash for the D-70 and the recommended one is the SB 800. It can be dedicated to the D-70. The last two SB 800's I bought were Grey market from B&H. You save a lot of money and they work just fine. I also believe that you can photograph the entire wedding with just one lense. You do have to go over a sequence of events with the B&G so that you are both on the same page on the wedding day.
    Yes it would be nice to do all of the formals prior to the service but I find only one in fifty will agree to that so just be prepared to fit them in after the ceremony. My wife and I photographed 46 weddings last year without a hitch. It's not really that hard. I can get quite long winded on these forums and if you'd like to discuss this more you can contact me on my e-mail bob@bob-swanson.comrolleyes1.gif
    LTT wrote:
    My dear friends have asked me to take their wedding photos. I have shot two more informal weddings before - but this one makes me really nervous.

I'm prepared to research the genre and play with my equipment for months before the big day. I've already to them that it is important that we communicate what they want to ensure I can capture the right photographs.

I currently use a D70. I have three lenses (18-55, 70-300, 25-80(?)). The 18-55 is digital. I only have UV and macro filters. I do not have a flash yet - I would appreciate it if someone could recommend an affordable one.

I know that it is hard to switch equipment during a wedding since it happens so fast - I don't want to be screwing on filters and switching lenses. Therefore, I was wondering if someone could suggest the basics to work with. If necessary, I will be investing in equipment I need (filters, flash, etc)

I appreciate all your help.

Leann

www.black-rock-photography.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    mwink.gif
    Hi Leann

I too am a wedding photographer and everything mentioned on this post is valid. You do need a flash for the D-70 and the recommended one is the SB 800. It can be dedicated to the D-70. The last two SB 800's I bought were Grey market from B&H. You save a lot of money and they work just fine. I also believe that you can photograph the entire wedding with just one lense. You do have to go over a sequence of events with the B&G so that you are both on the same page on the wedding day.
    Yes it would be nice to do all of the formals prior to the service but I find only one in fifty will agree to that so just be prepared to fit them in after the ceremony. My wife and I photographed 46 weddings last year without a hitch. It's not really that hard. I can get quite long winded on these forums and if you'd like to discuss this more you can contact me on my e-mail bob@bob-swanson.comrolleyes1.gif

I have only had a few (15%) of weddings where we didn't do the formals before the wedding. A large majority have wanted to be done so they wouldn't have a long delay before going to the reception. And only those that they didn't want to see each other before the ceremony were the ones that had some pics afterward. I guess I have been lucky, but with the younger couples I usually do, they are ready to get to the reception and start to have fun, and not spend an hour on pictures after the ceremony. Every couple is different and it is totally there choice as far as I see. I just point out the benefits of each way of doing it. Its their choice.

Scott, yes that is a great list. It has a lot of non posed shots on it that I don't have on my list, a few that I probably will add (Many I do shoot but don't put on a list since sometimes if you miss one people may complain, I go by underpromise overdeliver theory). My list is more of just posed shots, but also has a section that includes possible stepfamily. After doing one wedding with stepfamily I found the need to add this. So LTT if there is stepfamily on either or both sides you need to find out and see if say the parents of the B/G are still on speaking terms and if they will be in a photo with each other together, etc.

Anyway I think you probably have more advice hear than you can digust and remember. Most of it comes with experience, and as with most things in life you learn best through experience. Good luck.

Funny this thread started about equipment and turned into more about other things.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2007
    Pictures from wedding
    Thank you again for all your great advice. I read and re-read it a number of times.

Here are a couple pictures from the wedding in question:

Feedback is always appreciated.

1. The groom's father with wedding programs

173765596-M.jpg

2. Bride before the ceremony

173765671-M.jpg

3. Bride/Groom and piper

173765847-M.jpg

4. Hand fasting ceremony

179481407-M.jpg

5. The bride's favourite

173765141-M.jpg

6. Toast after ceremony

173765185-M.jpg

7. First dance

173765284-M.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.

Leann

www.leannthompson.smugmug.com
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Not bad for a first wedding.

I'm not a fan of selective color. It's something you should use very sparingly or never at all.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    nice job!
    i especially like the bag pipe shot.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog