Options

Umass Men & Women's Hoops

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited February 18, 2005 in Sports
The Men and Women both face St Bonaventure this weekend. Both teams came out victorious.
MEN:
15409563-M-1.jpg
15412391-M-1.jpg
15412558-M-1.jpg
15419504-M-1.jpg
15419507-M.jpg
WOMEN:
15475797-M-2.jpg
15475815-M-2.jpg
15475823-M-2.jpg
15477570-M-1.jpg

The rest of the Men's Hoops Gallery http://winger.smugmug.com/gallery/386545

The rest of the Women's Hoops Gallery
http://winger.smugmug.com/gallery/388075/1

I was much happier with my men's photos than my women's the womens game on sunday was just really tough to get good shots from. I dunno.
I welcome all comments good and bad.

Ohhh and I have good news I am the newest member of Sports Shooter.com.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=3992

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    with my favorite lens???

15412391-M-1.jpg

nice one thumb.gif

will they let you flash at these games?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    WE are also..
    ...enjoying basketball here in Illinois. :lol4

Nice photos.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    with my favorite lens???

15412391-M-1.jpg

nice one thumb.gif

will they let you flash at these games?
    actually it was with the 24-70 (not the one you LUST after) but I was laying down on the floor. I decided I didnt care about my fat ass being in the air. I was talking to someone else who shoots college hoops at UNH and he uses a flash (because he has too) I might ask the SID to ask the coaches and players if it is cool.

I dont usually have my grip on....totally could of used it for these shots. I feel like I am on to something, still havent figured out how to make them more exciting yet.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Great shots! My favorite is from your gallery.

I love the way your shots look in that gym. How do you do white balance? in post? Your shots look really noise-free. What ISO do you shoot at? The action on the floor and the background are really well isolated in terms of light... meaning the stands seem to be pretty dark. Is that just the way the gym is, or do you do a lot of work to get it look that way? Great stuff. Thanks for sharing...
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    gregneil wrote:

I love the way your shots look in that gym. How do you do white balance? in post? Your shots look really noise-free. What ISO do you shoot at? The action on the floor and the background are really well isolated in terms of light... meaning the stands seem to be pretty dark. Is that just the way the gym is, or do you do a lot of work to get it look that way? Great stuff. Thanks for sharing...
    I can answer the last part, cause I've been there. Mullins is pretty well lit for photo - floor is bright, stands are dark. Winger would be happy that you might be fooled into thinking she knows what she's doing in photo shop... :D

She's just that good with the camera. In fact, she should just buy a new 1V and give me her 20D thumb.gifdeal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Lookin good Karen ^5
    winger wrote:
    I feel like I am on to something, still havent figured out how to make them more exciting yet.
    I liked them all, but I really like the perspective you got from on the floor (literally) looking up. This shot might have looked even better, IMO, if you had been a bit to the left, so the ball wouldn't be lost in those banners ne_nau.gif But, knowing how crowded these games get under the basket and along the baseline, ya done good just to get this one thumb.gif

If you find out how to make B-Ball shots look more exciting, please pass on the info to your fellow Dginners mwink.gif

Also, congrats on being accepted into Sportsshooters.com clap.gifclap.gif How kewl is that? ylsuper.gif

FWIW, forget the flash. This is really good lighting (as poor lighting goes...lol) and I think your shots look just fine w/o a strobe. IMO, you should save the flash for that cave you call a rink......lol J/K, I liked the hockey shots too, That's my next stop biggrinbounce2.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    I liked them all, but I really like the perspective you got from on the floor (literally) looking up. This shot might have looked even better, IMO, if you had been a bit to the left, so the ball wouldn't be lost in those banners ne_nau.gif But, knowing how crowded these games get under the basket and along the baseline, ya done good just to get this one
    Thanks, I think im still working with it. There was TV at hte game so I couldnt be right next to the hoop I wanted to give the guy room so he wouldnt step on me.

I just came back from the beanpot, MAN if you are shooting with available light is that place heaven, I dont think I would even use strobes there if I could the colors are just awesome. It may take me a day or two to get them up but as of right now one of my photos is on the front page of www.uscho.com
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Nice grabs winger..........basketball is a hard sport to shoo.
    keep up the good work and keep posting great pics
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    gregneil wrote:

Thats funny that is the one they used for the release on umassathletics.com, not sure why i didnt include it.
    I have a 20d and I shoot at ISO 800. As Erik can attest I usually do nothing to very little post work, hoops are usually put up here as is (except for cropping). For hockey I sometimes play with the levels, depending on the rink and where I get to shoot from. I cant wait to get my beanpot photos up, the action in the shots are not my best but the colors are AWESOME.....
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I can answer the last part, cause I've been there. Mullins is pretty well lit for photo - floor is bright, stands are dark. Winger would be happy that you might be fooled into thinking she knows what she's doing in photo shop... :D

She's just that good with the camera. In fact, she should just buy a new 1V and give me her 20D thumb.gifdeal.gif
    hehe...I love photoshop rolleyes1.gif . I think one of the reasons I initally was getting fustrated in participating in the challenges ( I have only recently even discovered the levels thingy) Now I just dont have the time. (and well still am photoshopaphoic)
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Thats funny that is the one they used for the release on umassathletics.com, not sure why i didnt include it.
    I have a 20d and I shoot at ISO 800. As Erik can attest I usually do nothing to very little post work, hoops are usually put up here as is (except for cropping). For hockey I sometimes play with the levels, depending on the rink and where I get to shoot from. I cant wait to get my beanpot photos up, the action in the shots are not my best but the colors are AWESOME.....

hehe...I love photoshop rolleyes1.gif . I think one of the reasons I initally was getting fustrated in participating in the challenges ( I have only recently even discovered the levels thingy) Now I just dont have the time. (and well still am photoshopaphoic)
    Have you ever heard a 1V (or similar pro level film camera) fire? Holy crap! Talk about gattling gun! You'd buy one in a heartbeat. Your sportsshooter brain would go into a frenzy and you would own one. Guaranteed!

(much less than a 1dmkII...) naughty.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=213177&is=USA

I'd love to play with one of these... 10fps. That sound would be mesmerizing. I'd go through rolls of film in bucketloads. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=213177&is=USA

I'd love to play with one of these... 10fps. That sound would be mesmerizing. I'd go through rolls of film in bucketloads. lol3.gif

Dude you love to spend my money dont you......
    Im chilling for a bit, wait till i collect more benjamins from umass before i guy something else and since we are going back outdoors soon, i think it will be a long lens.....but who knows. Someone offered me some portriat work, so that will be new and exciting.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Niceeeee :D
    Awesome shots!

Makes me wonder how it will be to shoot Bball... hmmm :D intriguing
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl