Options

schmap.com? Wants to use my photo for credit only

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited August 30, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Has anyone have schmap.com contact them? I just got a e-mail from them stating that they found one of my photos on flickr and want to use it in their guide for credit only. They seem to be a web 2.0 travel guide company that uses photos found on flickr for thier web site.
I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has
been short-listed for inclusion in the third edition of our
Schmap Austin Guide, to be published early September 2007.
[...]

While we offer no payment for publication, many
photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap
Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and
are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a
maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and
link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.
They're asking for a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual license.

On one hand, I guess I'm honor that they acutally liked my snapshot. On the other hand, I'm slightly pissed that this company's business model is basically built upon getting small photos of locations for free from flickr accounts. I bet they just do a keywork search on flickr, and pick a image that they like. And I have a feeling that they're chosing images from flickr accounts that don't seem like pros since they have a better chance of getting the image without paying for them.

What would you do? The photo in question is just a ordinary snapshot and not really that great (in my opinion). It's just a picture of a bbq joint and I took it more for a photo journal of my trip using my P&S camera from the car (I think). And they only want to use 150 pix... :dunno

46809177-S-1.jpg

(seriously, nothing special here)

And if I say no, they'll just move down the list to the next photo on flickr.

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Personally, I would give them the low res photo and be happy I got published. As you said, this is a snapshot and not a fine art photo. Do you think this photo has any other future residual value?

Basically, this is not a battle I'd pick. I also wouldn't be too bent out of shape on their business model. They aren't looking for Ansel Adams quality, they just want a little picture to show the readers. And as you said, they asked you politely and professionally and you can always say no.

It's a cute little picture that you can show your friends ...

just my 2 cents,
  • Options
    FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I have roughly $70,000 in photo credit now. No more for me... CASH IS KING
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    jeez, just tell 'em no. They're trying to get value for ZIP. Feed it right back to them. They're not showing you much respect by offering you so little.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    depends if the credit is at B&H or not rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I've seen these guys mentioned several times in the past couple of months. This is their standard MO; go through photo sharing sites (seems they hit flickr more than any other) and try to get free use of shots they like. The bad is they are trying to get freebie use of photography for their own financial gain. The good is that they are asking first and making it fairly clear what they are up to. If it were me, I'd point out they are getting paid by someone for the service, therefore I won't work for free; if they wish to discuss reasonable terms then great, otherwise I'll pass. Yes, I know they wil take the pass and keep looking for someone to give away their work.